AFKs/Disconnects are killing Dominion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Paqi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-23-2012

Over the last couple of days, over 90% of my Dominion games have had either a person disconnect or AFK. Thinking about it, it has occurred to me that there's probably a class of "unstable" players that prefer to play Dominion over SR or TT.

By "unstable", I mean players who have unreliable computers/internet connections, or players who are prone to be called away from their computers for whatever reason (e.g. a yelling parent).

Because of the short short duration of the games, and because of the mentality that Dominion matches "don't matter", these unstable players are flooding this map, and absolutely ruining the experience for everyone else.

How do we fix this?

Paqi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-23-2012

One suggestion: REPORT EVERY LAST AFK AND DISCONNECT, EVEN IF THEY RETURN TO THE GAME.

If their disconnect or AFK was really caused by a one time disaster, getting reported in one game isn't going to get them sent to the tribunal. If they really do have a history of disconnecting/afking, the reports will build up, and they'll be punished.

If some of these people are well-meaning, but own bad equipment, tough. Their disconnects are still toxic to everyone else's game experience, and their insistence on playing is a selfish decision. They have no business playing a team-oriented multiplayer game.

Paqi

11-23-2012

Another suggestion: Riot, please just give us ranked Dominion.|

Ranked games cater to players that are serious about the map, and do much to filter out both unstable players, and players that don't care about winning on the map.

I understand the map is broken. But so was TT before its remake, and allowing ranked games there did absolutely zero harm. What do you think the downside would be in allowing rankings in Dominion?

lemeinu

11-23-2012

roit could slow capping ability of enemy team. I think this might even the playing feild if someone d/c or afks

wingstreet

11-23-2012

just keep reporting them. happens in SR too. i try to rally everyone to report people who afk the whole game. it's bad for the game.

Tempestphile

11-23-2012

i run a quadcore, 8gb ram, 2gb nivida card

trust me, sometimes if the game wants to bugsplat you, there is nothing you can do

i think its the riot server being quite unstable

Paqi

11-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempestphile View Post
i run a quadcore, 8gb ram, 2gb nivida card

trust me, sometimes if the game wants to bugsplat you, there is nothing you can do

i think its the riot server being quite unstable

Like I said though, D/Cs happen randomly to everyone, every once in a while. You won't be sent to the tribunal for those reports, since they happen few and far between. Further, if a lot of D/Cs are happening due to server instability, the communities going to know it's a server issue, and not an issue with the players.

Even if there were an uptick in reports due to server instability, Riot will be aware of the issue, and won't be banning people for D/Cs during that period, assuming those people even make it to the tribunal at all.

Tempestphile

11-23-2012

What's your W/L ratio like?

I was like -20 and my god, the amount of AFK

Now I carried myself back to +5, i am actually ok

(no, i con't play BFT Teemo or Darius in case you wonder)

Paqi

11-23-2012

Quote:

No idea on Dominion, but it fluctuates pretty radically depending on AFKs and whatnot. I tried to learn Poppy this week, and the combination between being new to the champ and constant AFKs have given me a pretty severe recent losing streak.

Rikukun

11-24-2012

Quote:

I have been hovering around 45 wins for a few weeks now, and the only time i can remember seeing a DC in my last 20 games on either team was a game i played duoing with a lower elo friend. Another friend of mine that is about 50 wins up has had the same kind of experience. This is probably due to high elo players taking the game more seriously than low elo, since they care enough to get that high to begin with. Anyways, one way to avoid the dcs is to just get your elo up. I know you will not win every game, but you must do your best to win as many as you can.

I am in the process of writing a guide for low-mid elo players to improve their play right now. You can check it out if you want. You can find it here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...XblN94Ul4/edit