Noob PC question: Can you have RAM from two different brands?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ergheis

11-22-2012

Like, say you bought a stick of RAM a while back, now you want to buy a completely different stick of RAM from a different brand and add it into another slot, is that perfectly ok?

JamesIsNinja

11-22-2012

If you buy a different carton of eggs, will they still make eggs with the last carton?

OT: If it's the same type then yes. Brand means nothing, it's just a label. Derp

CinemaShow74

11-23-2012

I would think if the Voltage, Timings, and the Frequency's are the same, it should work.

Light LaserTower

11-23-2012

It is very important it is the same Hz and type, EG: DDR1(If you have DDR1 wth), DDR2, DDR3.

TheFieldMarshal

11-23-2012

Newer PC's actually it doesn't matter. I have an LGA 1156 board running 2x2GB of ram, one is 1066MHz one is 1333MHz, and the board just clocks the 1333 down. Timing I am not too sure, logic would say it would need the same, but I think these 2 sticks of ram have different timing.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

11-23-2012

As long as the form factor is the same, and it is within the supported specs of the motherboard, it doesn't matter. Your system will clock the faster RAM down to the level of the slower RAM.

Yurippe

11-23-2012

It should be fine 3 of my slots are filled with 2048MB RAM but the last one is 4096MB and different brand but it still works

Aeris Dies

11-23-2012

Yes, they will work just fine. Not in dual channel, though.

TheFieldMarshal

11-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris Dies View Post
Yes, they will work just fine. Not in dual channel, though.
Did a bit of researching b/c i totally had a brain fart. As long as the board supports the slowest speed, it will support mix/match sets of ram even on different timing and in most cases voltage(although u wanna stay at or below 1.5V) will all work together at the lowest common factor. However if you wanna run dual channel you want the same speed/cas latency/timing/amount of ram

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

11-23-2012

To add to this...

If you have three modules, the first two (pair) will be addressed in dual channel and the third will be an overflow, for lack of a better word.