Does Jax have any weaknesses?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Compla

11-22-2012

^^

From what I can see, he has good laning, and great scaling. That's an immediate red flag to me as that basically makes him strong at all points in the game.

He's also hard to gank thanks to his pseudo-flash Leap Strike and Counter Strike.

He does a lot of sustained and burst damage that is both magical and physical. That's another red flag to me given that he has half the burst of Talon with the Tankiness of someone like Irelia and the sustained damage of Yi along with a roughly equal mix of physical and magical damage that makes it so hard to itemize against.

To me, he lacks any sort of counter-play and I'm a little disturbed by that. If he's not getting nerfed, I'm going to use him almost exclusively.

But I'm also not that knowledgeable. Is there anyone who can tell me how you deal with someone like Jax?

PS: I know he has counters in-lane, but it seems like those "counters" are more like "draws that could go either way" which still doesn't change the fact that Jax outscales them all. Darius, for example, draws with him in lane for the most part, but one's a monster post-35 mins and one's not. The best I could come up with is Singed, who seems to at best, draw equal with Jax in lane and in scaling, although it can rapidly snowball out of Singed's favor if Jax gets even the slightest bit ahead. He's far from a legitimate COUNTER to Jax.

Compla

11-22-2012

I've always heard that Jax and Singed is actually a draw lane. Playing it once, a revolver is all you need to sit in his poison all day. His sustain with the revolver is good enough to allow for that. But I can see how Jax would easily get zoned if Singed gets too far.

Never heard of Malphite being a hard counter to Jax, but I feel like magic damage in general soft counters Malph so I'd be dubious in calling that hard. I've never played it before, so I'd love it if you could elaborate.

Oh yeah, Jayce. Once again however, Jax outscales Jayce pretty hard, and Jayce counters everyone. Same deal with Yorick. It's not specific to Jax; these are just guys that destroy everyone in lane, and Jax can soft counter this with g10 and letting his scaling take over.

Olaf I've usually heard loses to Jax. Please expound.

Garen is Garen. This isn't Garen countering Jax, this is Garen being Garen then countering himself as time goes on.

See, those are the strengths of lane monsters you listed out, not weaknesses of Jax. Everyone loses to Garen, Jayce, Yorick early, and in fact, not everyone scales as well as Jax afterwards. You could even say Jax counters said lane monsters because of his scaling relative to other top laners.

Lunavinetta

11-22-2012

yeah i want to hear more about jax weakness

Phunya

11-22-2012

Jax is extremely weak pre-lv 3. He needs all of his spells as a utility in successfully trading with you. Shutting him down (or getting an edge) before level 3 hits will be your savior. Make sure you have a strong jungler and have him gank early so that you'll have an easier time shutting him down.

Make sure he doesn't get any gold either, try to zone him pre-3. If you have a bursty top-laner (WuKong, XinZhao, Riven [to an extent], Yorick, etc), teach him not to get close to your minions. When he approaches a minion, just blow your spells and back off before he can counter (or counter strike). Eventually, some Jax's will have to leap towards your minions just to cs, which will cripple their mana.

Compla

11-22-2012

That's an awfully short window of opportunity. And one that Jax can likely shrug off in general, again, thanks to his scaling and laning in general. Like there aren't champions that have weak early games? Irelia is weak all the way until lv 5. Pantheon doesn't get good until the second rank on his spear.

Thorston13

11-22-2012

Bait the stun and it's game.
I've been able to bait the stun and win with alot of characters now, you need to play him to understand him to it's full.

AeroCraker

11-22-2012

Poppy.

Nishaven90

11-22-2012

Randuins Omen, Frozen Heart

Cerebralbore101

11-23-2012

Be a tanky top mage. Jax is BS mostly because he dodges auto attacks for two seconds, and then stuns you for one second, all in one BS move. Three seconds of "You can't hurt me" is utter BS on a champion as tanky as him. Fortunatley this can be countered by Nunu/Rumble/Vlad/Garen, because their damage doesn't come from auto-attacks. Rumble is the best at this because his Q doesn't stop, even when stunned.

Compla

11-23-2012

Rumble... I didn't think of that.

Vlad though, can easily lose his lane to Jax. I've seen it happen in the World Championship, and I've done it myself. The trick is, like with Jax, to bait out the pool and punish him when it's on CD. The one who baits more effectively wins the lane/