Maokai mid viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Barbarossa 13

11-22-2012

Been playing a few games as Maokai mid, and generally get insulted for doing so.

I generally build a Ap/tanking build with him, with Ap masteries, Have found him to be a great mid even thou he doesnt fit into the meta.

Have a long range poke with sapplings, which i generally max first for long range damage.
His passive helps him lane longer, He has enough base hp to survive a gank.

The only bad side i feel is that his farming isnt as great as his poke i.e sapplings is on a long cd but other than that he seems a strong pick, so why isnt he played?

i understand he is a great support, but he seems to be a great solo laner as well

Thoughts?

Dexter5804

11-22-2012

I feel like maokai's place is in the jungle, any time i've ever seen him in lane he's always out of mana. Like, ALWAYS out of mana. I dont know what it is about him he just doesnt seem to lane too well.

PsychoB0b

11-22-2012

Maokai is mana hungry early game, so this might be his main problem in lane. and the fact that he's a slow mage, with no range outside his spells.

Barbarossa 13

11-22-2012

Yes ive found him to be mana hungry, i very rarely get a kill before level 4 or 5, but with cat the protector and a few mana pots + passive ive found i can simply stay in lane alot longer and position of sapplings means early damage
Thus far ive only ran into Syndra, Ziggs and Le blanc in mid, and they all havent given me much trouble.

Sevwall

11-22-2012

I've mid'd him, and he can do fine as a mid in less competitive games (lower elo, normals). He is mana hungry, but his harass is okay with saplings and he can jump forwards to root and kill people if they eat too much harass and get to low. Honestly though, I'd rather play Elise if I wanted that type of mid, what with spidering and her spider form E.

CerealBoxOfDoom

11-22-2012

he's a countermid for bursty champs. Like galio but harrasses more and more manahungry I think. Better off jungling if you don't have to mid

RadiantPyrophore

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealBoxOfDoom View Post
he's a countermid for bursty champs. Like galio but harrasses more and more manahungry I think. Better off jungling if you don't have to mid
Yes, Galio would a much better pick to do the same thing in mid.

Barbarossa 13

11-22-2012

Havent played Galio yet, ill wait till free week, But enjoying him immensely good play something far less picked.

X74X

11-22-2012

The thing about Maokai is that his performance is nearly consistent throughout the game. Early game he's amazing with damage but lacks speed and any real method to kill enemies in one "sitting"; that is, without harassing them a ton beforehand so that you can root them and finish them off. He doesn't "get" fed, and therefore doesn't have a massively boosted performance that transitions from early to late game as he itemizes more, besides the fact that he can become EXTREMELY tanky while still making a difference. He doesn't get a lot better, but he also doesn't get worse at all through the course of the game. What he does is get his team fed, and that's because he's able to take a LOT of abuse and has amazing ganking ability despite him not even having the "jungler" attribute. If you get ganked by Maokai you might as well just throw in the towel, because they are almost inescapable if he's got his buddies focused on you, and before you know it you'll be rooted, knocked into the enemies, and killed by a sapling and tons of enemy assistance. He is VERY hard to escape and that's why it's suggested you play him as a jungler to use him to his full potential. As Maokai, you essentially carry the game, but in a more subtle manner than simply getting the most kills and doing the most visible damage; you simply allow your targets to die in a much more efficient way as long as your team cooperates.