Moba Origins

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EddieJ

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikemoto Bot View Post
Who cares.

Again, let me re-iterate - who cares.

It doesn't matter WHERE mobas started, what matters is where they went and are currently going. People talk about DotA because DotA was the first moba that showed that the genre could be a hit and have a sustainable player base.
Obviously some people care which is why there are replys

Light LaserTower

11-22-2012

I always liked "Smash TV".. I wish some one would make one for SC2.

Zionova

11-22-2012

I care about the origins of this game because it helps me to understand the need that was there to be filled while also allowing me to understand the steps it has taken to become what it is currently, and how the future will likely go. It is the same reason you see many things/companies/people going back to their roots in life. Proper acknowledgement of the past is what allows us to build a stable foundation to move forward upon.

Axiom Prime

11-22-2012

SC Aeon was the first map, DOTA kept it alive and was popular for LAN Parties...League put MobA's on the map and made it a true e-sport

AeonOfDarkness

11-22-2012

I don't think Aeon of Strife was actually a 'MOBA' - it started out as 5 players against creeps, a simple defence, did it not?
After which the map was taken over by another person, which I can't remember the name of, and became 'DotA'. After some time, it became 5 players against 5 players, then lots of different DotA versions came out, created by various other people & finally a DotA AllStars was created (A collection of the best heroes from each of the DotA maps), which is what we know of today.

Or at least, that's my understanding of it, without going into too much detail.
I love LoL, DotA (and DotA 2), Smite & HoN. All of them are good. I even play some WarCraft 3 TFT maps that are DotA spinoffs, with skins & skills coming from, for example, Naruto or Bleach, to this day.

Also, to the person above - I'm pretty sure DotA 1 had some crazy tournaments, and was also considered an e-sport. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I think Machinima had a series that went in-depth with the origins of MOBAs. Can't link it right now, though.

Amethystium

11-22-2012

DotA didn't start any innovation.
ToB and AoM did.

AoS or Star was the first moba.

Vuther

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComanderMolander View Post
NOOBS PONG WAS OUT BEFORE ALL THESE SHlTTY RIPOFFS
Psh, tennis was the real original, you ignorant kid.

Feeder and Troll

11-22-2012

wasn't the term moba invented by league

Alaros

11-22-2012

take a guess which game actually made MOBA popular, OP

Light LaserTower

11-22-2012

Noobs Jousting was the 1st Mba, SC ripped it off and made it a Moba.