Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Moba Origins

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zionova

11-22-2012

Do people really think that this type of game started with the WC3 mod DotA? Aeon of Strife was the predecessor to DotA.

Aelis

Recruiter

11-22-2012

Ok

ObscureClockwork

11-22-2012

no, i don't (think it started with WC3)
and it really doesn't matter

for a lot of people, dota on WC3 was what made it popular

Worst Zed Ever

11-22-2012

Starcraft, Aeon of Strife.

Live and Learn.

Zionova

11-22-2012

I just find it funny when people say **** is a DotA clone/rip off without realizing it wasn't what spawned these types of game and was a clone/ripoff itself.

Illyriomysterio

11-22-2012

Like many songs, the creator isn't necessarily the most important compared to the one who popularizes it.

Talisid

11-22-2012

Except, for the most part, DotA started a large chunk of the gameplay innovations that make the Genre what it is.

Its like saying that Space Invaders started the top-down shooter genre. Well yes it did, but it was games like Gradius that really fleshed out the genre and made it what it is today by introducing powerups, levels, bosses and lots and lots of bullets.

Likewise, AoS was a skeleton of a game compared to how fleshed out DotA was when it was released.

ComanderMolander

11-22-2012

NOOBS PONG WAS OUT BEFORE ALL THESE SHlTTY RIPOFFS

EddieJ

11-22-2012

This is the thread I posted and got downvoted twice rooofl

A Vitriolic Cat

11-22-2012

Who cares.

Again, let me re-iterate - who cares.

It doesn't matter WHERE mobas started, what matters is where they went and are currently going. People talk about DotA because DotA was the first moba that showed that the genre could be a hit and have a sustainable player base.