@Hippo and/or Semp

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OTLegend

11-22-2012

Happy Thanksgiving guys.

I was researching this con thing and getting varying information. I had a few more questions I hope you can answer.

How many major cons are there a year?

What is the approximate cost to make a good costume?

Do winners of the contests sell or auction their costumes at their booth after the contest? Would there be a market for this?

Are there booths that have tailors making costume pieces for people and would there be a market for this?

Do artists just rent the booths for a flat fee or do they pay the venue a percantage of their sales?

Can you rent several booths and make a giant booth? Say I got alot of traffic at my booth, could I use other booths to rent to artists at the price I paid the venue and charge them a percentage of their sales?

This is very vague but here is a hypothetical scenerio: I hire 6 cosplay models for the contests, a tailor, and someone who understands all this cosplay and con stuff to go to the shows and run the team for me. Approximately what kind of start up cash would it take for a full season of cons to make different costumes for 6 people?

What would be a good con for someone who knows nothing about them to go to and learn?

Thank you.

OTLegend

11-22-2012

Bump so this can be seen by Hippo.

Amberleh

11-22-2012

The number of major cons depends on the state you live in. The biggest known cons are San Diego Comic Con, Wonder Con, Anime Expo, New York Comic Con, and a few others I can't think of right now.

The cost of the costume depends on who/what you are cosplaying and if you're buying a mass produced costume, making your own, or getting one comissioned.

Generally people in a costume contest don't have their own booth. I don't know if they auction their costumes off, I'm sure some do and there are probably sites like cosplay.com that they do this on.

No, generally at cons you can find a few handmade pieces, but they'd generally be things like ears or steampunk pieces. If you want specific pieces for a specific character you'll need to comission someone or make your own OR buy online, depending on who the character is.

For an Artist Ally booth you pay a flat fee and take home your earnings.

That would be really ****ty of you to do by buying out the artist ally booths and renting them to others. You would for sure get thrown out of the con and possibly banned from it if you were caught doing that- This isn't a 'you probably would', there are rules about this kind of thing for cons- You WOULD get kicked out- but I don't think it's possible anyway. As far as I know, it's one booth per person and for the major cons it's very hard to get a booth as is. They have a limited number available and you have to sign up months in advance- Sometimes a whole year. Generally, if you're just starting out, you want to share a booth with one other person.

Your scenario is something that wouldn't happen. Generally the good cosplayers model and make their own costumes and wouldn't just follow some director with no prior knowledge and no actual skills of his own.

A good starter con would depend on what state you're in.

Long story short, you aren't going to turn cosplaying into an enterprise if you aren't even making your own cosplay costumes. People do make and sell their own costumes, but I assure you that they won't go through someone who plans on turning it into his own business without putting in any of his own effort.

You should browse www.Deviantart.com

Edit: Something else you don't seem to understand is that most of the crafty/clever people in cosplaying take pride in making and wearing their own costumes. They don't want to just be a model for someone else's work. Some do, but the good ones prefer to make their own.

Semper Damnatus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-22-2012

weapons that people make for their cosplay normally go up for sale after they used them for the con, they normally sell quite fast, and the price can be quite high depending on what its made out of and how good it looks. unless the weapon is so awesome they want to keep it.

and basically what amber said.

OTLegend

11-22-2012

This all make sense but I'm not talking about hiring people who already cosplay for the contests. I am talking about hiring attractive people that may not even be in to cosplay to wear costumes made by professional tailors.

I believe that actual cosplayers would do this for the oppurtunity to become brands and have their merch sold such as shirts, calanders, their costumes, etc.

The info about the artists is helpful but I still believe it would be benificial to them if my booths had some of the heaviest trafic. More exposure and more oppurtunity to sell. I think artists who wanted to sell their stuff would be happy to give up a percentage for that. And tthere are other ways to make them comply.

Seems like there is a lot of money in this that no one wants to claim. Really has me interested.

Is there a good starter con for new people to do research.

Amberleh

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTLegend View Post
This all make sense but I'm not talking about hiring people who already cosplay for the contests. I am talking about hiring attractive people that may not even be in to cosplay to wear costumes made by professional tailors.

I believe that actual cosplayers would do this for the oppurtunity to become brands and have their merch sold such as shirts, calanders, their costumes, etc.

The info about the artists is helpful but I still believe it would be benificial to them if my booths had some of the heaviest trafic. More exposure and more oppurtunity to sell. I think artists who wanted to sell their stuff would be happy to give up a percentage for that. And tthere are other ways to make them comply.

Seems like there is a lot of money in this that no one wants to claim. Really has me interested.

Is there a good starter con for new people to do research.
Okay, look, artist ally is run by the con itself. You buy the tables from them. They allow ONE TABLE PER PERSON. For 'brands' that would not be artist ally, that would be the merchandising area and yes, you probably would have to pay an extra fee to the con for that one and even then you're still allowed one space per person AND you wouldn't have artists around you because they would be separated into artist ally. Artist ally is NOT for branding, it's for budding artists to sell their own personal work to people. You would be kicked and probably banned from the con if you tried to do what you are implying.

You also seem to not realize that con people have a lot of pride in their own work. They really don't care about branding because they aren't there for that. There are much better, established places for artists to go to get their name out there than some guy at a con trying to turn it into an enterprise.

Professional cosplay makers tend to make cosplays because they wear them themselves. That's why they're into it.

As for rigging the masquerade the way you seem to be intent on- You aren't allowed to enter the costume contest with a costume you didn't make yourself. That's that. They will find out if someone else made it and you will be disqualified. There is also a cosplay network, and the info of what you did will spread.

The reason there isn't something like you're trying to make is because there are rules against it at cons. They try VERY HARD to make sure that no one exploits the fans in the ways you are suggesting. Cons are for fun, not for people to try to make money off the cosplayers for what they do. The most you could do is become a photographer, have cosplayers sign a form, and then sell the prints online but you would probably get in trouble for that as well. In fact, yeah, I know of photographers who have been sued for this.

I mean you can feel free to try but I assure you you're wasting your time. I have no idea where you live so I can't suggest a starter con really. If you're in CA, try Anime Expo.

Amberleh

11-22-2012

Here, found rules for one of em, and here's a quote:

Quote:
Persons who are industry may not purchase an Artist Alley Table. There
is too much conflict of time and priorities for persons working Industry and attempting to
hold down a table. Please choose if you wish to attend as industry or Artist Alley as
doing both will no longer be allowed.
http://www.anime-expo.org/wp-content...Packet2012.pdf

OTLegend

11-22-2012

I actually just read your entire post Amber, Thank you.

Seems like a lot of ideas I had could work. If people buy certain pieces online then I'm sure they would buy them at the shows made by high skilled people at a inflated price because it will be custom.

As for the cosplayers not "cooperating" you'd be surprised at what "negotiating" can accomplish.

I was worried that some of what I wanted to do is not permitted but I will find the correct people to pay the "fines" to to be able to do it.

Thank you for the list of cons, I will look those up and go to one and figure out if this is worth it.

@Semp, What kind of skills does it take to make the weapons?

OTLegend

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberleh View Post
Here, found rules for one of em, and here's a quote:

http://www.anime-expo.org/wp-content...Packet2012.pdf
Thanks.

That just means I have to add "operating fees or fines" to my start up costs or "negotiate".