Are they equally responsible for the child in question?

Yes, they are equally responsible. 29 78.38%
No, they are not equally responsible. 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

If a man and a woman have *** and the woman is pregnant...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpartner View Post
Semantics OP

EDIT: Also 40weeks is closer to 9 months than 10 months

40*7 = 280 days.

280 days / 30 (approx month) = 9.3

Maths OP
Except for the part where the 12 month cycle we currently use isn't based off of any natural cycle in life, including pregnancy. A far more accurate and proper would be a 13 month, 28 days per month calendar...

The 12 month calendar we are currently on was made by the Romans and spread by their empire, for various reasons!

Lunar-Solar Calendar is far more accurate than the Roman Calendar.

Jesus the Friend

11-21-2012

Seeing as how the thread has reached a second page, I will espouse my beliefs;
No, they do not have equal responsibility, at all.

The responsibility of this situation falls 100% on the person who has control of the situation.
The woman.
Until the day arrives when a man has reproductive rights, a man should not be forced to take responsibility for the actions and choices of a female.
Even morally/ethically speaking, there is absolutely no way to justify forcing one person to take responsibility and shoulder a burden based on the decisions of another. Under no circumstances could this be viewed by competent human beings as anything other than vile, repulsive "ownership" of the individual forced into servitude "responsibility".
I do not support slavery and neither should you.
A man has no moral and ethical responsibility to a child that was brought into fruition in these modern days.
gg.

silentpartner

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
Except for the part where the 12 month cycle we currently use isn't based off of any natural cycle in life, including pregnancy. A far more accurate and proper would be a 13 month, 28 days per month calendar...

The 12 month calendar we are currently on was made by the Romans and spread by their empire, for various reasons!

Lunar-Solar Calendar is far more accurate than the Roman Calendar.
Yes, but that has as much relevance to my point as the shit my daughter did this morning which smelt like an assortment of deli meats.

Mere Intricacy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2012

I think the "responsibility" is too diverse to be equal.
It also depends on how nit-picky you want to get on what responsibility any parent has to their child.

Are they obligated to give a child a happy healthy upbringing? No, this is a choice.

Is the father obligated to support the child financially? Legally perhaps.
However a male could get off with absolute no responsibility to the child. If a man has unprotected *** during a one night stand, or rapes a woman, the woman will have no way of knowing who the man is, and thus the child can still be raised by no responsibilities to father.

Is a mother obligated to nurture and are for a child in early periods? While breast-feeding to keep the child alive may seem like an obligation, a child can be bottle fed from a very young age. So this obligation quickly diminishes if there was any. After that a mother can give her child up for a adoption, and have no responsibility and the child can live a happy healthily life.

In this day an age, does a parent even have an obligation to give their child the chance of life once they have been conceived? No they don't. As abortions are legal.

The is no predefined responsibility, it is up to every individual to chose how much responsibility they want to take in raising their child.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpartner View Post
Yes, but that has as much relevance to my point as the shit my daughter did this morning which smelt like an assortment of deli meats.
Even going with your statement, gestation is still longer than 9 months. Thus in favor that it isn't his child, based off the OP's statement.

Jesus the Friend

11-21-2012

^ The intent of this thread was never to deal with what options women have.

It is widely known that women have a wide gamut of exits from parenthood, men have none.

Men are tied down to whatever decision a woman makes and this should not be.

poe tay toes

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus the Friend View Post
The responsibility of this situation falls 100% on the person who has control of the situation.
assuming the man was a willing participant, he had equal control. he chose to have ***, he chose to risk an unwanted pregnancy.

Quote:
The woman.
Until the day arrives when a man has reproductive rights, a man should not be forced to take responsibility for the actions and choices of a female.
again, the man had every bit as much control over the situation. no ***, no baby

Quote:
Even morally/ethically speaking, there is absolutely no way to justify forcing one person to take responsibility and shoulder a burden based on the decisions of another. Under no circumstances could this be viewed by competent human beings as anything other than vile, repulsive "ownership" of the individual forced into servitude "responsibility".
I do not support slavery and neither should you.
gg.

actions have consequences. the man shouldn't be freed from his just because he comes to regret his actions because the consequences turned out to be higher than anticipated.

Mere Intricacy

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by poe tay toes View Post
actions have consequences. the man shouldn't be freed from his just because he comes to regret his actions because the consequences turned out to be higher than anticipated.
This is very true.
However the fact still remains that the female gets to be released from it at choice, whereas the man doesn't.
This isn't fair.

poe tay toes

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus the Friend View Post
^ The intent of this thread was never to deal with what options women have.

It is widely known that women have a wide gamut of exits from parenthood, men have none.

Men are tied down to whatever decision a woman makes and this should not be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere Intricacy View Post
This is very true.
However the fact still remains that the female gets to be released from it at choice, whereas the man doesn't.
This isn't fair.
i guess i should add that, with the exceptions of rape, incest, and danger to the mother, i'm against abortion.

Mere Intricacy

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by poe tay toes View Post
i guess i should add that, with the exceptions of rape, incest, and danger to the mother, i'm against abortion.
I am also against abortion.
However what ales JtF is that's keep solely the woman's choice whether to abort or not. And this decision (out of the man's control) an have a profound effect on his life.

With no a abortion I think it would be fair both genders. Both would be stuck with the consequences of their actions, and it removes the unfair power dynamic.