Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

eternum nocturne - bugs and feedback thread

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hefasto

11-22-2012

Quote:
Tenebrae Corvus:
After seeing a teaser of the skin I have to admit that I'm a little let down. Sure, the skin is currently unfinished but what was shown doesn't look that great. In fact, the small blades and thick tail of the skin reminds of a metal lobster more than a deadly robot. Maybe a rocket engine like the Rocketeer Nocturne skin idea would've been a better choice.

The blades really seem too small, especially due to his long fingers. Besides, the small frame of his body makes him look rather fragile. Wider shoulders and a more sturdy body could make him look more powerful without feeling heavy and slow. Overall, I don't see the idea of a specialized assassin machine clearly. Instead he appears as a little raptor that would be deadly; if only he were bigger.

The particles probably aren't final. Still, the trail left by Duskbringer looks like a red version of his classic one and Paranoia really needs something impactful. Moreover, while Nocturne is over the Duskbringer trail his body could light up or change, as in evolve a little, to better show the buff. Of course, an evolving model would be great.

The auto-attack animation look weak, as if he's just passing the blades through the enemy instead of viscerally slicing them. Addiiontally, the classic ability animations are alright but, as a whole, his animations don't looks lethal and artificial; as if they belong to an efficient assassin machine.

One last point, actually the skin doesn't seem really legendary. It has a new voice over, particles and model but it doesn't stand up to the quality of Battlecast Prime Cho'Gath; particularly important as it follows the theme. Besides, Mecha Kha'Zix also feels superior due to its evolving model. Maybe new ability animations are out of the question but the skin, as it stands, doesn't feel truly legendary.

I agree with all you said.. this skin needs more overhauling/upgrade/buffs before it can be called legendary in era of PFE or Battlecast Cho or even half legendary robo Kha'Zix

also since it's feedback thread for new skin it's worthing adding link to this:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2827946
or this:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=31705061

Darklarik

11-22-2012

Positive feedback:
Ingame model looks cool
Particles for Q,W,and E are cool
VO concept is cool

Negative Feedback:
Cant understand a word he says
His Splash looks stupid, it has Gungan ears and is smiling
His Ult's Darkness has no new effects, new animation is barely notisable

Ideas to Improve:
1. Remove his Gungan Ears, maybe re-do the head a little
2. A bit more armor (hes very skinny) to look more intimidating
3. The VO, lower the distortion of his voice a bit
4. WHen he blocks an ability with his W, make him glow blue (like in the taunt), to show that hes buffed
5. For his Darkness, have electricity go around the screen with brain cell looking shapes floating around like in his splash, also make his dash 'Spin' more notisable (had to watch it in slow motion to see it), and make him glow blue with electricity when he activates the ult
6. When umbra blades is ready, have his blades pop out (i notice they only pop when he attacks), having them poped out when his passive is ready would be a cool effect
7. Revival Animation (like zombie brand) - come on, get creative with this one
Do all this, and i shall buy.

Lykurgus

Recruiter

11-22-2012

Quote:
NewTrinity:
Is the ground around nocturne supposed to change color when he dies? It's a rather large portion around him that seems to be changed. It looks off, rather than it being part of the design.

I've also seen this happen when I was playing with an allied Nocturne in Twisted Treeline.

FUN HATER

11-22-2012

It doesn't feel like a legendary skin. The VO is incomprehensible and the attack animation looks awkward and feels weak. It looks less like shredding someone to pieces with arm blades, moreso like a kitten pawing at something. Fix those two things and maybe I'd pay 1350 for it like the Kha'Zix skin. Not fitting of the legendary title unless it has some MAJOR changes.

CommandShockwave

11-22-2012

Quote:
ricklessabandon:
same drill as before: please post bug reports and feedback here. i'll be reading this thread regularly until the skin's release.

thanks in advance!

Man, not even your forum title has caps in it.

I'm beginning to think this is on-purpose.

Arcolyte

Recruiter

11-22-2012

Quote:
Jimmy Rustling:
Man, not even your forum title has caps in it.

I'm beginning to think this is on-purpose.

Known issue, works as designed.

Lazreal

11-22-2012

add more digital red energy/blood stuff to his Q trail, and make it mark his victum more clearly, cus it doesnt trail multiple people just the 1st it hits.

ThatOneEpicGuy

11-22-2012

I like the skin, but its not enough. The ult especially is lacking the "Legendary" status.

I dunno, maybe make it so that when he activates it the same effect from his E washes over him. When he launches, have a static explosion and sonic boom go off.

Sir Dougles

11-22-2012

What I like:

-Concept is very cool, it fits Nocturne as a character in my eyes
-The particle effects on his Q I applaud for the most part
-Animation for his passive procc'ing is nice and visible
-Shield particle effect (before it breaks from a spell) is bright and visible
-The particle effect he places on enemy champs when he fears them
(the one previewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRuPLMxw4bM)
-VO concept definitly feels epic (the echo effect for the most part)

What I don't like and suggestions to improve:

-The cast animation and particles on his Q are good, but the trail still feels like original Nocturne. I feel there should be a little more to it.

Suggestion: It should feel like he is ripping a tear in time and space to get at his target, this idea is a little more fitting for the skins concept. This could be accomplished with simple red lightning particles appearing periodically. This will stand out more and give more to that feel. I also notice you guys are paying more attention to character animation and movement speed. Its apparent in the latest champs and in the Zombie Brand skin where as movement speed increases, their animation changes. I notice no real change on nocturne. One suggestion might be that if he has a speed increase he periodically spins as he travels (barrel rolls) more frequently and a stronger visual queue could be that the metal that comprises his tail collapses together to give a sense of streamlining himself (like when a plane retracts its landing gears) to reduce drag. He could also bring his arms in closer along with this to fully achieve this visual effect.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-The particle effect for the buff from his spell shield is under-whelming. I suggest definitely changing that.

Suggestion: In his taunt you have him sort of camouflaged and come back. This concept could fit the buff from his spell shield as he has distorted himself from this dimension to not only block a spell, but increase his speed. This can also add a more noticeable visual queue for the enemy in showing when his attack speed is increased or not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Although I like the particle effect on his fear, I once again feel you should play off on the "dimensional" concept of the character. I also feel it gives no indication to the enemy champion (in the original skin the ghost would swirl closer and closer till they "entered" the enemy and feared them)

Suggestion: Keep the particle effect change on the enemy, but as it counts down have the "clouds" swirl closer and faster to the sprite until it "detonates" and the enemy is feared. It would be a nice effect to have a sort of "detonation" at the end, similar to the distortion effect when Kassadin's Silence hits an enemy. This once again adds to the overall feel of the character as a being that moves through dimensions.

-His Auto-Attacks could use some work. They come off as perecise which I feel is good since I never saw him as an "animal" but they aren't very terrifying. I have to look closely to see the armblades extend out when he attacks and I have to be zoomed in.

Suggestion: Instead of having them extend only parallel to the swing, add a little diagonal extension. So when he swings, the arm blades extend out a little bit as well as forward. Also there should be more variety in the thrusts. Right now they are mostly downward swings. There should be more upward and more horizontal swings. I think this will give more of a feel of him "maliciously slicing" his opponent rather then just sort of stabbing them.

-His ult doesn't feel right. The travel animation change is neat, but it can be so much more. Especially his "take off" and "landing".

Suggestion: This can be a major spot to play off of the "dimensional travel" feel of the character. I like how his idle animation changes as if he is growing impatient and wants to pounce, but that feeling is lost in "take off" as it seems half-hearted. Why not add a particle effect during "take off" that conveys a "dimensional jump" like he's entered a hyper space to get to his target. It could be a simple distortion effect or something a little more. When I see him ult I picture a fighter jet breaking the sound barrier. Here is an good video of one in slow-mo that I feel fits my description the best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHrwgRsX0BI

Landing could simply use a distortion effect once again similar to Kassadin's Silence when it comes into contact. The combination of these two ideas plus the current ground particle effect will convey a better feeling of the "hyper jump" I mentioned earlier. The sound effect when he casts his ult could also use some improvement, it should feel more ominous. The best example I can come up with are the sound effects used in the climax of Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen. Here is a short video I threw together highlighting those key sounds that could be good starts not only to the cast of the ult, but the rest of the ult as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDnmaAMS6wg

-His splash art properly conveys a moment in time befitting the character, but I feel that character itself could stand a change. The pose and composition work really well, but there are a few details. Namely the "skin".

Suggestion: The "skin" or non-metal parts of the character look too much like flesh. The lines resemble that of the sinew of muscle. I don't know if this is intended, but Nocturne has been a "ghost" character. His amorphous form coupled with the only solid parts of him being his armor and blades added to the ambiance of a character that only existed in your dreams and wasn't intended to have a tangible or vorpal form. The muscular look implies that he was once a physical being with a "natural" origin rather then a "manifestation" and I think this goes against Nocturne as a character. I think this just needs to be reworked. I'm sure if you blur the lines slightly you can still have him keep a "form" but one that doesn't imply a "natural" origin. I think it would play off of the "dimensional" feel more if he came off more as a moving and self-aware "energy source". The metal parts can not only distinguish heads or tails of him, but maybe bring a feeling of needing them in order to maintain that "form" in this dimension. The rest of the art is fantastic, and really brings forward the idea of a menacing being. I simply question the choice of an organic feel.

-His Voice Over lines for the most part are excellent and do well to establish the character, but a lot of times it is hard to understand him.

Suggestion: This is a tough one since the VO is technically done and would have to be edited, I'm not gonna suggest you redo them entirely. Honestly it comes down to more emphasis on certain syllables, for example his taunt. The first half of it I can't quite make out, only the second half. You might even find something if you play with the echo. Include a wider variety of pitches in the echo so the layers don't sound all the same. Maybe even start the echo a little later. I think those 2 could help in the problem while also enhancing the character.

Man I went off there didn't I. Hopefully you guys take some of these suggestions as well as suggestions from other summoners to heart. I'm proud to see you guys move forward and constantly want to improve on what you have done before. The skin we have so far is really good, but I feel that as a Legendary...there needs to be more. Maybe not like Pulsefire Ezreal (not saying thats not out of the question) but certainly something befitting the status of Legendary, while also taking the next step from previous Legendary Skins.

Hope this helps.

Scrulox

11-22-2012

Not nearly legendary enough