Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Possible return of Dominion ELO?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reynmaker

11-24-2012

Quote:
Scyhn:
What was the reason to hide elo?

The same reason that they hid normals losses and only show wins. People want to have fun and be reminded of good things, how many people would still be playing this game if every time they logged in they saw 200-400 elo and 400 wins - 2000 losses ? It's just how you market a product, emphasize the good feeling, hide away the bad.

chide da jungler

11-24-2012

Quote:
Fabs457:
Being unable to see it can be attributed to part of the reason why dominion isn't as popular as it could be

are you basing this on some data or just thinking out loud?

drkimchi

11-24-2012

Quote:
pagan4life:

I think that this is the general consenus - that the hiding of dominion elo has deterred some players from continuing to play this mode.

GET REKT FGT

11-24-2012

Quote:
pagan4life:

Did you play Dominion when ELO was visible? If so, did you obtain a decent ELO or were you one of those people who love to profess that they "didn't care"?

Applying the scenario to a real life situation, are you proud to have an "investment" you worked hard to achieve, or do you not care where your "money" went, or the ability to see how well your investment is doing? Because if it's the latter, invest in me xD

AlphaFerric

11-24-2012

Visible elo would be great for competitive side of the game. I say that after DD got featured and no one understood how we even knew there was high elo, with the extremes being a) we were talking out of our asses, or b) awesome that people got such insanely high elo's in Dom.

That said, the majority of LoL doesn't even play ranked SR. Would having a visible elo draw a larger crowd? Yes, would it give us the baseline numbers that Riot is looking for? Probably not.

There is a learning curve to this game mode that isn't introduced to summoners early on like SR is. It makes for a tough time getting in and a tougher time staying in (at least according to Nome, starting players are quitting more than staying). The best way around it is by increasing knowledge of how the game mode is played early on for summoners starting out in Dom, giving incentives for popular streamers to play the mode somewhat seriously, and keeping up support for DD tournies.

Reynmaker

11-24-2012

SR normals shows no elo, neither does SI, and their popularity is fine. The problem is the lack of ranked, plain and simple. Even though some players may never play Ranked SR or SI, there is something to aspire to and get better for. Therefore the 'serious' perception is there. The maps have meaning. Even though the old TT was woefully imbalanced, it had ranked, the complete overhaul of it......has ranked and there is no 'Dominate Shadow Isles' or anything of the sort as far as I am aware.

I cannot perceive what the reason for not having ranked in Dominion is, and I'm honestly not one of the persons clamoring for it, but I simply do not get it. The old TT was broken, Champions are regularly released on SR and are allowed into international competitive play that are broken, the new TT is imbalanced. All have ranked. So what is so special about Dominion that it's left to wither away when it initially had quite a passionate community and still has people like the Dominate Dominion team trying to maintain some semblance of competitive play ?

Fabs457

11-24-2012

I read something awhile ago that stated something like ~60% of all League players who play Normal SR do not play Ranked nor Draft SR. I understand that visible elo can set some precedence to deter people who play the mode for 'fun' than those who (try to) play it competitively, but fact of the matter is because there really is no statistical way to weigh yourself in comparison to other players, it makes it even more difficult to take this mode seriously.

Bear in mind Dominion is the only mode I play now and I don't consider myself a good player, but I regularly see the same players in my matches now. The player base must be super small and Riot should be looking towards means of increasing that. If they take steps to shed the image that Dominion is just 'screw around mode' (which I think most currently see it as), I think something like that could only help.