Olaf Build? Tank or Damage?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sfox1620

11-21-2012

Hey guys, was wondering how people thought the best way to build Olaf for TT was. Go offensive with Blade of the Ruin King and Maw of Mal or stick with the typical stack life and defense build on him?

ChampStat

11-21-2012

Stack just about everything. You're Olaf.

But seriously, when I play him, Van Damm's Pillager, BotRK, Bloodmail, Sanguine Blade, Grez's Lantern, all tend to show up in my build.

EDIT: Forgot Frozen Mallet.

Mavrik V

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-21-2012

Olaf does true damage, and gains atk spd based upon lowered hp. Logically there is only one best way to itemize Olaf due to this, and that is maximizing Olaf's dps uptime while at lowered health/maximizing Olaf's dps uptime on-target.

How do you do this you ask? You build health (which means more time alive to do true damage, and more time below half hp to get free atk spd), CC/slows (more time on target), and CDR (more true damage and more Q's to slow targets).

Which items are the most efficient to accomplish your dps goals you ask?

- Van Dam's Pillager
- Frozen Mallet
- Randuin's Omen
- Blade of the Ruined King
- Zeke's Herald
- Mercury Treads or Ninja Tabi

That build works in literally every game, although against heavy AP, you might want to swap out one of those for a Maw of Malmortius (probably the Zeke's). Against specific champions you also might need to swap out for a Wicked Hatchet (such as Mundo).

Going heavy AD is very counter intuitive as Olaf because it disables your E spam, and makes you prone to being focus fired on, forcing you to go a Q maxing build, which can work in the right compositions, but it is more complicated to run that route and requires much more skill to land literally every Q (or you lose).

samlovemetal

11-22-2012

Just max reckless first, build tanky as phuck early on while that true damage still hits like a truck (instead of a sedan at lategame) and then get the ad item of your choice.

Tharaxis Minar

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlovemetal View Post
Just max reckless first, build tanky as phuck early on while that true damage still hits like a truck (instead of a sedan at lategame) and then get the ad item of your choice.

Exactly. The problem is though Olaf is strong as **** early on when Reckless hits like a truck..but if other team builds any health then late game.. he is "meh" unless he was really really fed early.

So I tend to have games as olaf when I carry (got the early kills) or Im half worthless (got all assists early).

THE RIGHTMANN

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfox1620 View Post
Hey guys, was wondering how people thought the best way to build Olaf for TT was. Go offensive with Blade of the Ruin King and Maw of Mal or stick with the typical stack life and defense build on him?

I build into frozen mallet and health then aim for some damage and utilize team comb for the heavier poke. Max your E and take hits is how i roll.

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-22-2012

youa re a ****ty op champion just build anything from the health tag and enjoy your free elo, hell there's even no aprticular reason for Olaf not to go RoA.

WillWW

11-22-2012

I normally build 8000 hp and keep it at 2000 so I have a crapload of free attack speed and still enough health as my oppobents.

Naokazu

11-22-2012

I start boots + Ruby crystal.
HoG and Rice blade
situational boots
Phage, Hexdrinker, and Warden's Mail
Upgrade everything, final build; situational boots, Youmuu's, Pillager, Mallet, Maw, and Omen.

I also find this build works well on Renekton, and I imagine it would work for Riven, but I haven't had any good games with her.

sfox1620

11-23-2012

Thanks for all the help. Going to try some of these builds!