Important changes to the Privacy Policy

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

shpladow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD 2020 View Post
The API will be available for free consumption. It's not about making money. It's about empowering the community with a more open data platform and making it easier to access. Sites like LoLKing and EloBuff have to jump through all sorts of hoops presently to access the data they display, which limits their ability to innovate.

The player behavior team is well aware of toxic matchmaking concerns and can probably speak better to ways they're presently improving the types of things you refer to. These things happen when matchmaking already, and I'm not sure the existence of an API will make them much worse. We'll always have a team dedicated to improving player behavior in-game who will monitor that toxicity, and have given their blessing for such an API.

Personally, I'd rather have a sea of awesome community content with a few bad apples we target and mitigate against, rather than an empty sea of content but with those same bad apples that we target and mitigate against .

-JD
http://twitter.com/JD_2020

I understand where you are comming from, but I think that your looking at the glass as 1/8th full instead of 7/8ths empty. You are right in that currently there are only a few players who screen you with lolking before a match. Players who flame a make threats because "you only have two games as Zed" or that "Kat is a counter to Morg (on the subject of which, who keeps perpetuating this nonsense that a Kat could ever trade with Morg?)". If you make it a free and convenient app to scan your team and their records you will increase this behavior. I see no possible way that there will be anything but more champ select intimidation after making readily accessible data tools. This will restrict players more than it would increase their options.

Lets make a game out of this. You list a set of stats that could be displayed that you think can't be negatively used in champ select for ranked and I will try state why the opposite is true.

JD 2020

Community Program Manager

11-21-2012
7 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpladow View Post
I understand where you are comming from, but I think that your looking at the glass as 1/8th full instead of 7/8ths empty. You are right in that currently there are only a few players who screen you with lolking before a match. Players who flame a make threats because "you only have two games as Zed" or that "Kat is a counter to Morg (on the subject of which, who keeps perpetuating this nonsense that a Kat could ever trade with Morg?)". If you make it a free and convenient app to scan your team and their records you will increase this behavior. I see no possible way that there will be anything but more champ select intimidation after making readily accessible data tools. This will restrict players more than it would increase their options.

Lets make a game out of this. You list a set of stats that could be displayed that you think can't be negatively used in champ select for ranked and I will try state why the opposite is true.
I won't be going into details on the API just yet (truth be told, we don't have all the answers - it's still in development).

It's better to battle the toxic behavior you speak of in other ways. Take for instance iTunes. Rather than trying to make music less downloadable, Apple made it MORE downloadable and out-innovated piracy sites, and ended up substantially decreasing music piracy. Similarly, the player behavior team is hard at work finding the most positive ways imaginable to disrupt toxic player behavior, but not at the expense of all the positive things that would come from easier access to player data like through this API.

I think you bring up good points, but I also trust in the player behavior team.

Regards,

-JD
http://twitter.com/JD_2020

Sir Greyfox

11-21-2012

im a lawyer so :

Sniff Deez

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2012

cool

Eserine

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomar View Post
Hey summoners,

Brolaf here. Let’s get the legal mumbo-jumbo out of the way first: We’ll be updating the Privacy Policy you agree to when you play League of Legends in the next patch to accommodate some changes to how we plan on handling player data in the game. We take player privacy very seriously at Riot, so I want to explain the change thoroughly so you understand why we’re making this change, and how it ultimately benefits players.

This is the section that will be added to the policy:

"In the event that you choose to create an Account and play the Game, we also collect certain information regarding your in-Game performance and/or interactions with other users (e.g., wins / losses, recent champions played, average number of kills / deaths etc.). These statistics are associated with your in-Game Summoner name and are publicly accessible by members of the Riot Games community. In addition, we may share your in-Game statistics with third parties in accordance with the terms and conditions set forth in this Policy. To be clear, no personal information about you, such as your email address, username, IP address, or other sensitive information, will be shared as a part of this process."

So why the change? In short, I’m happy to confirm that for the first time, Riot Games will be providing 3rd party developers in the community a stand-alone API for accessing in-game League of Legends data. This has been one of the most popular community requests we’ve heard over the years, and we’re grateful for the patience you all have shown as we figure out the best way to accommodate this.

Why give people this data? Because people make awesome stuff with game data like stats sites, which tons of players know and love. We want to see more cool things like that come out of the community.

We’re still in development on this API, and you’ll be hearing more about it in the coming months (how it will work, who can access it, etc). But in preparation for this, we wanted to get this Privacy Policy change out of the way, which is what I just did .

Regards,

-Brolaf

My worry with this change is that 3rd party non-game-industry retailers will have the ability to use the game as a viral marketing platform/test lab and data mining operation if "player interactions" include vocabulary and conversation analytics:

"Does player '501337' enjoy the refreshing taste of Pepsi? Let's audit his records from Riot then isolate his identity with a scanning algorithm to parse in-game references to his location and social-network correlations and then send him lots of e-mails based on his generated demographic profile and popularity within the community! If he doesn't answer we can have marketing reps. form new accounts and friend-request him to play some games while talking about our product! Yaaaaay!"

I'm aware that this might be the real reason that you are changing the agreement (as the passage in the text is vague and doesn't specify or even mention Riot's ability to sell such information for profit), I am just informing other players who might read this comment of the potential ramifications. I found your legal immunity alterations quite disturbing:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2652320

EDIT NOTE: I've added this issue to my aggregation thread for pre-season feedback. Tremble at my ineffectual and invisible criticisms! XD

Armani Exchange

11-22-2012

Pretty Sick!

Julis182

11-23-2012

cool

Zen Woo

11-23-2012

Cool! thank you very much Riot!

AtOrU

11-24-2012

nice

H1tmanMx

11-24-2012

gj