Important changes to the Privacy Policy

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kikhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2012

So does this meansites like lolking and such will have much more accurate numbers? Does this also mean the comunity will have access to alot of the stats that Riot seems to keep to themselves?

JD 2020

Community Program Manager

11-21-2012
4 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpladow View Post
This just in! Champ select just became a more toxic enviroment! Have a good match history or don't play.

Riot is this really going to help the game? I cannot see a way in which people have a better experience as a result of this.

Give it to us straight, are you getting money out of this or something? Why would this have struck you as a good idea?
The API will be available for free consumption. It's not about making money. It's about empowering the community with a more open data platform and making it easier to access. Sites like LoLKing and EloBuff have to jump through all sorts of hoops presently to access the data they display, which limits their ability to innovate.

The player behavior team is well aware of toxic matchmaking concerns and can probably speak better to ways they're presently improving the types of things you refer to. These things happen when matchmaking already, and I'm not sure the existence of an API will make them much worse. We'll always have a team dedicated to improving player behavior in-game who will monitor that toxicity, and have given their blessing for such an API.

Personally, I'd rather have a sea of awesome community content with a few bad apples we target and mitigate against, rather than an empty sea of content but with those same bad apples that we target and mitigate against .

-JD
http://twitter.com/JD_2020

Needles K

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level1Pentakill View Post
This is a great development, but is there any way to stop LoLKing giving real-time updates on summoners Runes and Masteries during ranked loading?

I don't understand how they access this data without your permission already, are they using a virtual client login?

Was this previously a breach and is there any way you can affect when this data is pooled to perhaps delay their statistics by a day, at no great cost to them and the accuracy of their data whilst protecting against probing during game loads?
I'd bet that's part of the motivation for creating a public API so they can allow useful sites like LoLKing to keep on doing their thing without having to allow full access to the interface used by the game client. At least, that's how I would go about doing it.

JD 2020

11-21-2012
5 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needles K View Post
I'd bet that's part of the motivation for creating a public API — so they can allow useful sites like LoLKing to keep on doing their thing without having to allow full access to the interface used by the game client. At least, that's how I would go about doing it.
Correct! Having an API will actually help better define what types of data can be displayed, how often, and when. This will precisely enable us to better disrupt some of that toxic behavior you're talking about (on top of all sorts of player behavior initiatives that aim to fight toxicity in ways not at the expense of positive experiences).

-JD

ImYourBestFriend

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2012

I have been wanting to make an App, kinda like WoW armory but for league of legends, so you have all the news updates and your stats and search capabilities on the go, no I how do I go about getting this information?

DreamLeviathan

11-21-2012

I'm a little unclear on the specifics here, would this allow people to find their normal elos, or is it just making currently visible info easier to find?

JD 2020

11-21-2012
6 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamLeviathan View Post
I'm a little unclear on the specifics here, would this allow people to find their normal elos, or is it just making currently visible info easier to find?
More information on the API will follow, but the short answer is "no" on the regular elo. I don't want to get into a detailed back-and-forth on what is or isn't in the API - it's still in development :P.

Level1Pentakill

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD 2020 View Post
All of these stats are currently publicly available if you Search a summoner name via the Profile page in the client anyhow. I can see anyone's match history, regardless of whether I am friends with them or not. If a feature were to be developed in the game to allow you to hide that, that's something the API team would see about accommodating for sure though.
A good point to note would be that logging in to the client on another computer whilst ranked queuing on a first would allow you to quickly check masteries and runes through the other computer, so perhaps even how fast your currently selected runes and mastery changes are updated for other summoners to see in this client itself would be a topic, although i believe it is already delayed to stop this sort of checking from occuring real-time or where it can have an impact on the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD 2020 View Post
Correct! Having an API will actually help better define what types of data can be displayed, how often, and when. This will precisely enable us to better disrupt some of that toxic behavior you're talking about (on top of all sorts of player behavior initiatives that aim to fight toxicity in ways not at the expense of positive experiences).

-JD

Still don't know how LolKing did it previously but i guess that's not of huge importance and having managers aware of the data being distributed and its use will be great, along with better statistics (Not much of a theorycrafter though).

Level1Pentakill

11-21-2012

Wait, will this mean live updates on Teemo deaths/ minute?

Shaun cooley

11-21-2012

plams