How to avoid Kill-Stealing?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tahlyn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-22-2012

I run into this problem as Sona aLLLL the time. I play super aggressive and harrass constantly. the problem with this is I level my q faster than heal. While i dont need the heal much because i harrass so hard, when it comes to fights my Q is strong enough to snake away quite a few kills when, let's say the adc crits right before i Q.

Then i realized that my job is to make sure they get fat. a dead enemy isnt stopping farm. and a fatter support is healing and supporting, and warding more.

tl;dr... don't do it on purpose, and you're fine. be a good support and you win the game. ratio's don't matter, wins do.

powwder

11-22-2012

in your scenario the guy still has 20% life and is just slowed, to me thats nowhere near dead.

let me ask you this...have you ever been caught in the middle of the lane with 20% life, flash on cooldown, and slowed but lived?

or how about this....have you ever backed off because you didn't want to ks and the enemy ended up living?

Tha Dynamite

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by powwder View Post
in your scenario the guy still has 20% life and is just slowed, to me thats nowhere near dead.

let me ask you this...have you ever been caught in the middle of the lane with 20% life, flash on cooldown, and slowed but lived?

or how about this....have you ever backed off because you didn't want to ks and the enemy ended up living?
First of all, you're implying that I get caught in the middle of the lane with 20% life and flash on cooldown just out of the blue.
With all those elements along with there being no towers nearby and no teammates to help me, a support on me and an AD shooting me, I'm dead.
So no.

Also for your second question, also no. That has literally never happened before. Why? Because there is no such thing as KSing in this game. And if I ever backed off from a kill because I wanted my AD to have it, it has also literally never gotten away.

Etherimp

11-22-2012

Learn to time your abilities so they don't do damage after the player in question is within kill range of your allies abilities? It's pretty simple, really.. In all the time I've been playing I think I've maybe accidentally stolen a handful of kills... In which case, I apologize and say "Sorry, didn't mean to steal that."

Usually people are understanding.

Just don't spam your abilities on an enemy that is clearly near death, and you shouldn't have a problem.

And yes ,there is such thing as "kill secured" with 20% hp remaining as Rambo Ral described.

Qsario

11-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkmoogle View Post
Is there any way I can target my allies with my E easier
Yes. Bind some keys to target ally 1/2/3/4 (I use ZXCV for this), then hit E+Z/X/C/V to shield them (don't smartcast the E). That's what I do for Janna.

You can also target them by clicking their portrait, e.g. E + click the portrait of whoever is low on HP.

And yes, it's hard to remember who is who. I try to memorize the keys to shield my ADC early in the game.

Qsario

11-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmater75 View Post
A good idea is to go supports that CAN carry. Some examples include Lux, Ashe, and Morgana. Such champions are less detrimental when they get kills than, say, Soraka. Also, as support, when you get fed, this tends to result in great map vision, which later helps your allies to get kills.
Ever see ADC Janna? Anyone fed enough to buy Greaves/IE/PD/LW/BT is pretty scary when they can crit for over 1000.

Jonheath291

11-23-2012

I inadvertently kill steal with Shen all the time. I will ulti in on a teammate to shield them, taunt the enemies and proceed to Q E and Auto Attack until said enemy(s) is dead. They can deal with it if I get the kill. They still get xp from the kill, just not as much.

It isn't a terrible thing if a support gets kills. It shouldn't be your focus however it isn't going to be 100% unavoidable, as you will frequently get kills. I love Lulu for her abilities and Would rather have you helping me me deal damage and killing the enemy, than them getting away and recalling.

Attico

11-23-2012

This happened to me last night playing Sona.
I was with a rather bad Kog, and twice in lane during an exchange he and the enemy ADC were both nearly dead. I went ahead and spammed Q to secure the kills, and stole both...but we both got out alive. He of course proceeded to yell at me for the KS...but man that kill was nowhere near secure.
Later I backed off in a 2 v 1 where I DPS'd until the cary was super low, then backed off. Kog couldn't finish, died, and their ADC flashed out while my shared CD cycled.
Despite the 2 KS...I ended the game with 4 kills and about 20 assists, pretty normal for me on Sona. You need to secure those kills...never stop trying to kill them with a strong poking support until you are 100% sure they will die to another champ. Assists get gold too, and as long as you don't steal CS your carry will be fine.

Yurippe

11-23-2012

Lol what just kill steal all day bro
tell them that it's a team game and that if they want a good personal score they should be playing tetris or something
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

e Zinc

11-23-2012

According to wiki, assists grant 58.33% of the gold that the killer gets, so your adc isn't really missing that much gold (about 160 gold difference). With that 160 gold you can ensure your adc can farm more minions with better ward coverage or oracles and chances are if you killed the enemy your adc gets free farm anyway so the gold won't even matter that much.

I agree with the first reply. I'd like to add on by saying if it's someone with ridiculous escapes like Lee Sin, Riven, Kassadin, etc. then blow everything on him and don't care about kill stealing. You'll feel even worse if the enemy teleports away than if you accidentally kill him.