Is it true you can get banned simply for not communicating?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bigdongstudios

Recruiter

11-20-2012

I have several questions... answers to any would be appreciated!

1) Let's say you have trouble with rage, so you decide the best idea is just to ignore chat 100% and focus on your game. Is this perfectly fine/acceptable?

2) Tangential question: let's say someone picks mid, and the only traditional role left is support. If you would enjoy yourself more picking a mid and trying out double mid, or picking an ADC and trying double adc bot, or anything along those lines, is this unbannable as long as you aren't doing so to intentionally throw the game?*

*However, it can be very hard to determine if a player is trolling or simply lost hard, if the game ends with their non-traditional meta choice in a losing score. Assuming the chat log gives no indication of trolling/verbal abuse, BUT the player is reported and ends up in the tribunal anyway. Furthermore, summoners who review the case decide to punish because they see that the player allegedly took a "dumb" role because there is already another mid/adc and the chat log implies that they should not have taken mid.
TLDR: If a player is banned for playing non-meta, to his teams dismay, but did give it his all and did not intend on trolling -- he simply wanted to enjoy himself -- what is Riot's stance in regards to overturning a ban in this case? Do they give the benefit of the doubt, or do they support the ban/look into the player's history to try to deduce if he did it to spite his team?

3) What type of chat is generally frowned upon? Can you toss a friendly "[all] ROFL" if someone does a hilariously bad move? Is that too unsportsmanlike? Provided you're not doing it constantly/berating them outside of that. Can you point out, calmly, the mistakes someone is making? Is there a line where you're pointing out too many mistakes/giving too much advice where it crosses from helpful to "so nagging it's toxic?" i.e. you legitimately see several things they could be doing better.

ex: "you should not overextend so far without wards"
"you should not chase for so long you know enemies are on their way"
"you should not be so aggr in their jungle when we could have dragoned"
"you should not continue to autoattack creeps you're pushing the lane"
"please stop taking my cs"

but all in one game.

4) When you are banned, do all other reports of you get cleared? i.e. are you now safe from being tribunaled for games that happened prior to your ban?

5a) It seems you have roughly 4~ bans before you are perma banned. Something like, 1st is a few hours, 2nd is a day(s), 3rd is a week, 4th is 2 weeks, 5th is perma. I may be missing one. My question to this is: let's say you have received a 2 week ban (this is true for me). Will any amount of time of good behavior grant you any leeway? i.e. if you go 6 months without being banned, and being reported significantly less, will any ban you receive after that STILL be a permanent one?

5b) I read that you have a low chance of making it into the tribunal until you have a sufficient number of reports. Given that I have been banned 3-4 times, I certainly have a sufficient number of reports. My question is similar to the previous one: is the "leeway" for making it into the tribunal reset after a ban, or after a duration of time, or not at all? i.e. if I am reported 5 times, will I have a new tribunal case and thus an almost certain permaban, because the VAST majority of cases end up in bans, even if they are "relatively" minor? (not claiming my past ones to be, just theoretical future ones)

Thank you for your time reading this

Visinoid

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdongstudios View Post
I have several questions... answers to any would be appreciated!

1) Let's say you have trouble with rage, so you decide the best idea is just to ignore chat 100% and focus on your game. Is this perfectly fine/acceptable?
That's what I mostly always do when it goes bad. And guess what, you get back on track. Typing takes space into your brain, but when you don't you're 100% focused.

If you haven't said a word, but you made a nice score, like 5-3 (this is nice), you won't ever get punished.

Even saying nice things can be taken badly by the other players, so just focus.

tl;dr

It's more than acceptable, it's perfect.

KimKelley

11-20-2012

I have never seen a game in the tribunal that was reported for failure to communicate.

Arrietti

11-20-2012

I have yet to punish someone intribunal simply for not speaking in game.

bigdongstudios

Recruiter

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimKelley View Post
I have never seen a game in the tribunal that was reported for failure to communicate.
Ok thank you and everyone else! I just saw someone imply in a post that it was an offense, and it seriously concerned me heh.

Zaresin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2012

No one has been punished for not talking...now thats not saying they weren't punished for other things. I usually see stuff like that with the player dying 30 times in 20 minutes or has all zeals or wards in their inventory. When punishing you have too look at the whole picture not just one aspect of it.

I usually don't talk in my games except for mia or re. I ding a lot when appropriate but thats it. It takes time to type and have died too many times before just from typing lol and forgot to hit enter....so it looks more like lolqwewrrwewqqweqwerrrr

After doing tribunal a while it becomes easier to pick out the trolls that are silently trying to being toxic and the ones that are just having a bad game and are focusing and not speaking.

bigdongstudios

Recruiter

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaresin View Post
No one has been punished for not talking...now thats not saying they weren't punished for other things. I usually see stuff like that with the player dying 30 times in 20 minutes or has all zeals or wards in their inventory. When punishing you have too look at the whole picture not just one aspect of it.

I usually don't talk in my games except for mia or re. I ding a lot when appropriate but thats it. It takes time to type and have died too many times before just from typing lol and forgot to hit enter....so it looks more like lolqwewrrwewqqweqwerrrr

After doing tribunal a while it becomes easier to pick out the trolls that are silently trying to being toxic and the ones that are just having a bad game and are focusing and not speaking.
Is all zeals really ban-worthy lol >< I have done it as Fiora while carrying/getting fed, as well as tried it completely unsuccessfully on other champs in other not-as-fed situations for fun...

Benzaldehyde

03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaresin View Post

BULL**** ! http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribunal/en/case/6196154/

Grubass

03-11-2013

Yes it's true. There was a case a week ago that got punished for it. The person that got punished only used pings and didnt say a word in chat + had a bad score. Having a bad score and not communicating gets you banned xD

Shiister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2013

So both of you idiots decide to necro a 4 month old thread. Forum ban for these two?