Not sure if I have thick skin or other people are way too easily offended

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Omnigryphon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2012

So I have been doing the tribunal for a short amount of time, but I have quickly gotten myself into the top 1000 (just a few weeks). I've been noticing a pattern lately of x reports in x games (1 report per game). A single person reports in a game for one of two reasons:

1. They were the only person not lazy enough to report someone who deserved reporting (racial slurs or obvious feeding on occasion, but usually hate speech) which will get a punish from me.

2. They are butthurt. I don't like using that term, but when I can read chat log and tell you exactly who reported, it's usually this case. Sometimes it is legit, but other times it's just people taking offense at silly things.

The problem is obviously with the second case. The problem is that the community flip flips really hard. I have seen a 'gg noobs' case get both pardoned and punished with all types of majority and minority. There's no consistency in what people take offense on. Yes there are other cases against them, but they tend to be all the same: he was being kind of annoying, but is it really worth banning? A warning, sure, but I don't know if i'm voting for warning, ban, or permaban.

I find myself just skipping these cases of 1 report per game because even after reading them all I can think is 'I don't really want to play with that person, but I don't think it's ban worthy. I have no idea how the community will be voting on it.'

Part of this is the idea of ELO for the tribunal (I'm competetive, so trying to get as high in the ranking s as possible is my innate goal), but most of it is that people just don't seem to have any sort of thick skin anymore. While the summoner's code is helpful, it's purposely vague.

This is just sort of a rant from seeing this way too often; if you have an opinion on the situation, feel free to present it. I am curious what others think.

Calys Teneb

11-20-2012

Just because you're thick skinned doesn't mean that you can't tell what's inappropriate. However if it's a borderline case and you truly feel you can't be fair, yes, skip it. I've had a couple like that today where I really wanted to pardon the guy for almost all of his games, but he was kind of an ass in the last one and I wasn't sure if he deserved it.

King of Daventry

11-20-2012

Personally I don't care what others say. It's not as if I'm in tears because someone called me "idiot noob" but I would still report because that attitude has no place in a game.

I report based solely on whether or not I would want to play with them. I don't think this elitist and rude attitude has any place in gaming, at all. So many people defend it saying "BUT THAT'S PART OF COMPETITIVE GAMING"

It isn't. Trash talk doesn't make you competitive. Hell it rarely happens in real life sports. You don't see Olympic athletes calling each other idiots etc.

It doesn't belong anywhere.

Edit: I can see where you're coming from though and that's perfectly fine. Just reread my post and felt it came across a little harsh.

KimKelley

11-20-2012

If you're trying to improve your ranking, you can probably use the standard of "the person who reported should just grow a thick skin" as an indicator to vote punish.

Or you could just vote on whether you think the summoner's code was broken and ingore the concept of ranking.

Omnigryphon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Daventry View Post
Trash talk doesn't make you competitive..
I agree. The problem is that people who are trash talking still get pardoned. That's about 90% of my incorrect cases. I will look to find a good example. I tried using the 'would you want to play with this person?' as a rule, but since I try to mostly play with friends rather than random players, I either have much higher standards or other people have lower standards for trash talk. I was an athlete in high school and believe me I know how little actual trash talk there is and what happens when it does.

King of Daventry

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnigryphon View Post
I agree. The problem is that people who are trash talking still get pardoned. That's about 90% of my incorrect cases.
Well as much as it sucks to get so many incorrect cases all you can do is vote what you feel. This is a community run system and because of the sheer amount of people of course there will be discrepancies.

I actually like that since they removed the IP rewards I feel less like I need to be "correct" and I can vote how I feel.

Omnigryphon

11-20-2012

Quote:
This is a community run system and because of the sheer amount of people of course there will be discrepancies.
I agree with this, but I wish I didn't. I really feel like there should be consistency. A lack of consistency in what gets punished and what doesn't tells me that people don't know what is and is not supposed to be acceptable. I think that difference should be an obvious line. Maybe I'm crazy for thinking that, but consistency and fairness tend to go hand in hand.

Quote:
I actually like that since they removed the IP rewards I feel less like I need to be "correct" and I can vote how I feel.
Is it true they removed rewards. I heard that, but while reading this post over my shoulder, my friend pointed out that the guidelines still say you do. I don't much care either way; I do the tribunal when my code is compiling and there isn't much else to effectively do, but getting some IP on the side seems nice.

KimKelley

11-20-2012

Well the "lack of consistency" is fairly low. As evidenced by the fact that someone wrote a program that was 99% accurate at predicting the results of the tribunal.

Visinoid

11-20-2012

Please, source.

Love Kindness

11-20-2012

This is a game of war that involves you trying to KILL your enemy. You want to destroy them and just like real war you don't know you teammates in unbanked games. It is fantasy, but your emotions get involved which is natural I think. People who intentionally feed, throw a game on purpose, yes I can see banning them for a time . People get into an argument in a war game,I have evolved to the point that is unnecessary.

You can always push the tab button and mute them...