Good generic tanks? And a strategy question.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SuperQuackDuck

11-21-2012

I feel that maokai is in a weird spot at top. Saplings dont do much in team fights, his interrupt is short ranged, his root is decent at best, and his ult is great. I feel that hes great at holding points but other than that i find his kit to be much better used bot.

FioraIsMaiWaifu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2012

I can't speak in terms of low Elo, but Malphite should be extremely effective if your team is any sort of indication as to what you normally play against. His attack speed reduction, combined with Frozen Heart, makes most carries a piece of cake to handle.

Maokai is a potent bottom lane champion; he is relatively safe from sneak attacks if you build enough CDR - which you should be doing by buying Frozen Heart - to keep your saplings in high traffic areas. You can also use them to deny enemy champions the full health for a health kit if you plant them right on top of where the kit spawns.

Singed is great when it comes to the bottom lane, too, but for an entirely different reason. The most effective tactic that I've seen with him is to deny your opponent resources and to outlast them until someone from top has to come help out. He's difficult to CC because of his ultimate, which also give him regeneration and movement, so preventing him from collecting the health kits during a push can be a tricky endeavor.

Sejuani is my favorite tank to play on the map. She's only truly ineffective against two champions on the map (Yi and Olaf - neither of which are common picks) and her ultimate is surprisingly useful. I've found the key to playing her is to build Ninja Tabi or Mercury's Treads, Shurelya's Reverie, Frozen Heart, Sunfire, Abyssal and Aegis. That gives you a fair amount of defenses, 39% CDR with the proper mastery choices and damage to make your abilities a little more threatening.

Redenbacher

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperQuackDuck View Post
I feel that maokai is in a weird spot at top. Saplings dont do much in team fights, his interrupt is short ranged, his root is decent at best, and his ult is great. I feel that hes great at holding points but other than that i find his kit to be much better used bot.
Well, in all fairness, if you're going top with Maokai, you don't use sapling much save for interrupting caps and vision. I typically put 2 points in them for the windmill fight and then max Q and W first.

Why? Low cooldowns. His Q is short range but also an insanely short cooldown. The range doesn't really matter when you can E right to someone's face, and then position yourself to knock them away from your teammates and slow anyone else nearby with the skillshot.

Similar to Alistar, you're a support tank, rooting and peeling enemies off your team. Unlike Alistar, I can't knock up an entire team and stun them... but my Q and W are on shorter cooldowns than Alistar's Q and W. Then, my ultimate shields me and my team from 20% damage, and acts as an extra execution or interrupt to boot. Auto-attacking in the middle of a teamfight gives you a lot of sustain through his passive as well.

Further, Maokai is very well set up to support top early game, and swap with your bottom lane seamlessly once they've farmed for awhile, often shifting the power in your team's favor. Swapping with a Jax who's been feeding off bottom seals a victory pretty swiftly.

Glumduk

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperQuackDuck View Post
If your team lacks for poke, Mao can keep minions off your top turret.
They're trying to push a minion wave on your tower?

A Sapling and a Q should take care of that.

anti404

11-21-2012

I've found I'm pretty god-awful with Alistar, but I seem to do OK with mummy and Malphite seems like he could be a good pickup as well.
Somewhat off topic, but since someone mentioned it being a good way to help out the team: who are some good botlaners for low elo solo que? I've tried Yorick and did well with him, but Yorick is also a dick so I don't want to be that. I'm assuming someone with good pushing power and limited succeptibilty to ganks would be good, e.g. Udyr?

MyDeadGrandma

11-21-2012

Quote:
who are some good botlaners for low elo solo que?
Maokai. Lol.