Good generic tanks? And a strategy question.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

wingstreet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2012

maokai all the way.... not only do players on your team not know what his ult does half the time but neither do players on the enemy team. they let you sit there and soak up dmg then BAM second burst comes and they are like wtf just happened? maokai, amumu, malph, ali, are so awesome on dom.... just my 2 cents.

IdoI

11-20-2012

rammus

Zeiro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2012

I'll also give one vote for Maokai.

Maokai's R still has very low cooldown, so it's not that bad. Try to adapt on how your teammates move.

When capping enemy Windmill with "no apparent guards", ALWAYS throw a sapling on the bush near the minion spawnpoint/health relic. This will allow you to see whether there are those annoying campers that can attack/jump from there.

Get Garrison if noone from your team does. It can make tower dives easier in combination with your ult. This need not be said, but you should definitely get Revive (with Mastery specced on it) since not only will the HP help you, it'll also help your team overall if you're the only one with tankiness.

NavyGothic

11-20-2012

Ali, Malphite, Amumu are very common tank picks (and with good reason). They work pretty well in almost any team comp, and all offer a good mix of initiation, CC and damage.

Only downside to learning the above is that they're very high priorities for draft, so if you ever play DD (or if Ranked ever comes around...) there's a good chance you won't get top play them.

Rammus, Maokai and Leona are other decent tanks who are almost never banned. To be honest, I'm not sure why Rammus dropped off so drastically in popularity. He can't backcap the way he used to, but he's still a very solid pick.

Then there's a whole category of champs who can build very tanky, but play differently. (eg. Sona, Lulu, Janna can all be "tanks", but they work by kiting rather than in-your-face initiation)

ricedream5

11-20-2012

Jax. Enjoy free 80 armor/MR for 8 seconds. Not enough? Dodge all attacks and take reduced AOE damage for 3 seconds. And he does damage.

Also Poppytank is pretty fun to play.

But these aren't generic.

As for your question, you have no choice but to try to help them if you still want to win (assuming they don't listen to you on why dying for the 10th time at the enemy mid is a bad idea). If you go through jungle, you can probably delay the Kog that is coming from top to stop the backcap. Another option is to gank bot often.

Rikukun

11-20-2012

i really like alistar and amumu.

for alistar, first make sure you have enough mana/regen to not oom, at least not easily.
secondly, you want to max out your cdr early on.
third, you want to be tanky.

chalice -> athenes, frozen heart, boots of lucidity, and force of nature are all great items on him

for amumu, tanky ap is a good build. Items like rylais, abyssal, and sunfire cape all work well on him.

Malah

11-20-2012

My name is Irelia.

I build one and a half damage items and rip anyone not stacking AS reduction and HP through the walls into pieces while being the tankiest person on my team.

Why doesn't everyone love me?

(Oh, right, because Malphite/Alistar/Amumu are bat****. And shame on anyone encouraging people to play Lulu. You are bad people.)

Quick list: use the three mentioned when you need to jack up an entire team fight. Sejuani covers both that purpose and the following one. Rammus, Blitz, and Irelia are good at sticking to a specific target and ruining their day either by CC or a severe case of dead. Supports (Taric, Janna, Sona [Her W chord is outrageously good at making a cannon insignificant] pretty much double as off-tanks while bringing an outrageous amount of utility to a team as well.

I don't like Leona. She's wholly incapable of doing anything by herself; she either needs a partner the entire game to stick to who can do actual damage for her or a comp built around her.

Duelpower

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
Try tank Nunu top with an AD carry, it's pretty fun actually.
Screw that, go teemo nunu top! xD

What's that? You hit a shroom? Here, have an empire to go with it.

Redenbacher

11-21-2012

Alistar, Maokai, and Malphite are my three favorite tanks for Dominion.

Alistar and Maokai can hold down a turret alone like no others. With Garrison, it's dangerous to even think about assaulting a turret they're sitting on with less than three people. To the posters above, I have rarely lost top playing Maokai. Ultimate mobility is not an issue if you time it properly. I don't drop my ultimate until I am certain the enemy has committed to the fight and is focusing a teamfight. An exhaust or ignite is a great sign that they're dedicated to getting that kill.

Malphite is specifically for his AoE damage, AS Redux, combined with the ability to start and lockdown a teamfight before it even began.

Yohnski

11-21-2012

I would like to second Alistar, Amumu, Blitzcrank, Malphite, Rammus, and Leona.

My favorites from those would be Leona and Malphite, but that's mostly personal preference. Most of them function more or less the same, you output a lot of CC and some decent magic damage. You either roam with your team, picking people off and taking points, or you defend points because you have 3k+ hp and 200+ resists. The only one that is fundamentally different is Rammus because of the backcapping and general map presence opportunities his powerball opens up.

I saw him mentioned earlier but I would not recommend Galio. All he has going for him over any other generic mage is his ult which is on a stupidly long cooldown (20 seconds longer than amumus, 30 seconds longer than malphites). It's also harder to hit and the channel can be interrupted. Granted, an interrupt happens rarely, but if it does you've just lost your big advantage with minimal gain for 2 minutes.

As mentioned earlier in this thread Maokai is awesome at higher Elo when you can count on your team to fight inside his ult. At low Elo he's just lackluster because your team will readily abandon the advantage that he brings to fights.

Big items to go for would be Aegis, Mercury Treads/Ninja Tabi, Frozen Heart, and usually Odyn's Veil or Abyssal Scepter. If they have a stealth champ you'll probably grab a hextech sweeper. Getting lots of defensive stats with some CDR mixed in is usually the key. Always check your death recap screen and try to itemize around what's killing you. In fights either peel for your big damage source or lock down their big damage source and everything will work out fine.