Good generic tanks? And a strategy question.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

anti404

11-20-2012

Hi all, I'm a pretty low ELO Dominion player, and I notice that typically my team is full of AP/AD carries and Assassins with very few tanks or even tanky DPS (e.g. my last game featured Akali, Teemo, Ziggs, and Draven) and so I want to learn some good all purpose tanks for the game mode to try to cover their weaknesses.
I've been trying Shen but I dunno', he seems somewhat lackluster as I always seem to lack energy.

Somewhat off topic, but what should I do if my team is refusing to group up and just roams solo the majority of the game? In that last game, Teemo was wandering mid the whole game(alone) and Akali was trying to backcap their mid/bot towers and kept getting demolished by Kog'Maw who eventually ate his way to victory.

Thanks!

Tempestphile

11-20-2012

There are 3 type of tanks I like, one is very sticky tanks, the other 2 are AoE Tanks

AoE Tanks allows control in a teamfight where there are a lot of bruisers, ad you can AoE taunt, or AoE stun, allowing your team to do a lot of damage before dying
I recommend: Malphite, Amumu and Shen

Sticky Tank would be someone like Sejuani, who is good to hunt down squashy (single target) carries which tries to kite. Use of frost and permaslow makes sure they have no where to run. Another sticky tank i found very nice is Taric and Rammus

The thrid type of tanky is not really a tank, but its more a support providing utility to the game, and allow your team to execute amazing plays. Such champs would be like Janna or Lulu or Blitz building tanky. You are more squashy then the average tank, but your utility will provide good shielding and good cc to make sure the enemy team deal minimal in fights. (such as janna's aoe knockup, or blitz aoe silence)

So in short, AoE hard cc inititate, single target sticky, AoE utility tanks.

My 2cent anyway

Sakuri Ono

11-20-2012

Additionally I can recommend Leona as a tank to an extent. If you're half-way decent at hitting her Zenith blade against a moving target you can provide some very nice initiation and line-crashing. With her two stuns it's pretty hard for any target to peel away once she starts going at them.

Galio seems like he'd make a pretty nice Dom tank as well since his Ult is almost custom built for destroying group turret zergs in combination with a Mastered Garrison. However I don't see him very often and haven't had a chance to buy/test him out myself. However with the advent of BFT he seems like the Tank for the occasion since MR is pretty much his bread and butter (not to mention all that extra AP he'll be getting from his passive after you've stacked MR up the charts to deal with BFT Teemos and Brands).

As someone who's crawled from low ELO to roughly Mid-High ELO let me give you fair warning. Playing a Tank will not be a 'quick fix' to bad Dominion compositions. Yes having a Tank helps but that Tank contributes jack and squat if the team has no idea how to follow up on an initiation. I can't even count the number of times I've gone in on the Windmill fight, snagging an out of position Mage or ADC, only to have the rest of my team fall back instead of taking out their primary damage dealers. Any frustration you get from playing a non-tank role over players not working as a team will only be magnified; since as a Tank you see and feel those errors first and foremost.

Now if you still want to play a Tank (it's not a bad role to learn regardless) then by all means go for it! I find it to be one of the most rewarding positions in Dom when things do go the right way.

However if you're looking for something to deal with teams who pretty much scatter all over the place I'd only place 'Play a Tank' as suggestion #3 on the list of things you can do to try and carry yourself out of that position. (Learning Bot lane would be #1 and #2 would be sniper/kiter types who specialize in luring enemies onto the tower and solo-killing multiple people via Garrison while dancing out of their range. It's difficult but also quite rewarding to pull off.)

SuperQuackDuck

11-20-2012

I advise on getting decently trained in the following champs, because you will have to choose them during you elo ascent. Rarely does anyone want to play a support tanky champ:

Alistar, amumu, blitz, lulu, malphite

If you are good with them, your opponents will complain that you're OP loudly and frequently. Thats when you know you've done well.

MMKH

11-20-2012

Try tank Nunu top with an AD carry, it's pretty fun actually.

MyDeadGrandma

11-20-2012

ctrl + F "maokai"
phrase not found

smh dominion forum

Sakuri Ono

11-20-2012

I'd never recommend Maokai for Low ELO Dom because too many people don't know to stay in his ult during team fights. Amazing how often people just give up free damage reduction. XP

SuperQuackDuck

11-20-2012

I removed maokai from my list for the reason sakuri mentioned. Although i like maokai, i rarely see that his team wins top. So i generally tends not to like him unless hes bot which is why i didnt suggest him.

AlphaFerric

11-20-2012

Good all purpose tank that can pub stomp (and has carried me out of low elo whenever I'm done trying something off kilter) is Leona.

Her kit is designed to let you be ridiculously tanky due to her w (defensive steroid), sick to squishies (e,r) and two stuns. Ping targets you are going to stick to an your teammates will kill then with the amount of locking down you will do.

I go boots ruby xtal and null magic mantle +3 pots, get aegis, followed by another armor and magic resist item and merc or ninja tabi. After that you can build aura items to help your team (soul shroud, zeke's, etc) or high health offensive items (you get free defensive stats so now you just want health to compliment it) such as mallet or rylais.

Leona is a very strong tank with a great kit for dom, however, if you notice its very common that your team is split up, play rammus and move with at least 2 people from your team. Rammus has a similar built in steroid who can be played awesome as a standard and roaming tank, and somewhat counters the current bruiser meta (malphite does this better, but only due to his AS reduction).

Glumduk

11-20-2012

I really enjoy Leona, but I don't pick her every game. She will make a strong comp stronger, but she can't carry a weaker comp like Alistar, Blitz, or Lulu could.

With that aside, I start Kindle Gem + Boots.
Then build up a Frozen Heart.
Turn Kindle Gem into a Shurelya's.
Frozen Mallet (Actually offers more CC than Rylais, since most of your spells immobilize/slow heavily anyway) if you're feeling confident, or Banshee's if you really need MR.

That's probably about all you have time for in a game.