Which Support to pick?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Streen99

Recruiter

04-20-2013

Hi,

I've been playing for a few months, reached lvl 30, tried alot of champions and turns out the ones I enjoy the most are support. I was wondering which one was the most appreciated in ranked games? I play PvP, played one ranked game only so far. I have Nami et Soraka and was considering Sona. Out of those 3, is there one that people usually prefer? So far I really enjoy Nami and I play Soraka when I'm paired with a more tanky partner.

And if you are looking to add a support on your team, you can add me I play 100% support, I don't try to add items so I can deal some damage. I understand my role and I enjoy playing it.

Pigwidgeon

Recruiter

04-20-2013

Thresh is probably the most popular support. He's got a shield that can pull a teammate to you as well, a pull, a knock-back and an AoE slow.

Apart from him, Taric, Lulu and Sona are very commonly played.

Taric and Thresh are more tanky supports. Lulu is more aggressive, as is Sona, but Sona provides more sustain with her heal. Lulu does have a shield though, and a potentially game changing ultimate.

I've personally never played Nami, but I've played against her. It's relatively easy to dodge her abilities, that's why I haven't really ever picked her up. She doesn't seem as viable as others, like Thresh or Lulu, to me.

All in all, I'd go with this order from best to worst: (bare in mind this is completely opinionated)
Thresh - Lulu - Sona - Taric - Nami

Ohh, forgot about Soraka. Well, I've never been much of a fan of hers, but she can be quite good. Starcall can effectively poke because of the short cooldown, but it'll mainly be late(r) game because most Soraka players don't even get Starcall until they absolutely have to. She has a heal (plus her global heal) and can give mana, so she provides excellent sustain. I've felt that I've always been targeted quite early regardless of how well I'm doing whilst playing as Soraka. She's just so squishy and because she can help her lane partner so much, people see her as a threat that they should shut down as soon as possible.

Z The Slayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-20-2013

There's several other supports you should be aware of.
Leona is a kill-lane support. She's gold hungry, but she'll lead your ADC to victory. With the right ADC (Draven, Graves, Ezreal), she can dominate the enemy as soon as they get in lane.
Jarvan has been seen a few times as an extremely high early burst support. Make one mistake in lane and watch the enemy ADC snowball out of control.
Alistar is becoming more rare, due to his lack of aggressive kit and how easy he is to harass. He's best with an aggressive ADC, as Alistar forces the enemy to not retaliate. This could mean a passive lane or a lane where your Draven just screws with the enemy the entire game.

Nami is'nt bad, she does extremely well against champs who are easy targets without their mobility spell. Draven and Vayne are prime examples. Wait until Vayne's dash is down, since her base movement speed is crazy low. As for Draven, just plan ahead and murder him when he goes for an axe.

Soraka's effectiveness is in the numbers, not the effects. Since she doesn't have a stun, her passive is a statistical aura that you can't see, Starcall stacks aren't visible and the silence isn't noticeable in a teamfight (except on the person it's hitting; tanks will know what I mean), Soraka appears to be extremely underrated. The real value to Soraka is that you are almost guaranteed to NOT LOSE THE LANE.
This is very important with gold hungry, kill lane, supports like Leona, as it makes them almost completely useless until mid-late game.

Zyra's a good combination of threat and support. Her piercing snare can wreck with an ADC who can capitalize on it (Graves is good).

Nidalee is an extremely aggressive support that does well as long as she has mana and you're not tower hugging. Make sure that your team already has enough CC come team fights, and that your ADC has a piercing harassment attack, to present a serious threat to anyone in and out of the bushes. Caitlyn and Nidalee is a longtime favorite for a high threat lane.

Streen99

Recruiter

04-21-2013

wow great info, thanks to both of you

Akromah

04-22-2013

IMO Thresh and Lulu are the power houses. Leona/blitz are good in an aggro lane. I still like Alistar if you're with a vayne.