I'm a horrible ADC

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A Blind Moron

11-20-2012

I'm level 30. Try as I might, I always end up being a terrible ADC. If I pick solo top, I get outplayed, countered, and wrecked. If I go duo bot, even if I do well, I end up falling off late game and doing little to no damage to the enemy team. Then my team *****es at me and I have a thoroughly bad time.

I realize that being an ADC just means "get last hits" and "try not to die", but even if I succeed at those two things I still wind up contributing nothing to the team.

How can I stop being such a ****ty ADC?

ScorchXBanister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2012

The two strongest skills a good ADC possesses are the ability to last hit and the ability to position. Last hitting is easy to explain, but positioning is different; you always have to be in just the right place or else you'll get attacked and die.

Trying not to die is a universal skill that is really only your objective if you don't know where you're supposed to be.

Also, about the team contribution - a carry is really at their strongest late game, but all of your durability is dependent on the ability of the team to keep you from being hurt. The burden of not being dead is on you, but if they want you to be any use at all, they'll make it easier to attack by peeling people off of you when they attack. If the tanks on both teams just attack carries all day, the carries can only focus tanks, which will make it look like you aren't contributing anything.

That's my two cents, anyway. I'm no pro ADC by any means, but the professionals never post in the new player forum >_>

Fs Son0fSilas

11-20-2012

What ADCs are you playing?
What does your CS look like at the end of games?
How fed are you getting?
Are you focusing Tanks late game and not the enemy carries?
Are you using/building your champions correctly?

Zerophux

11-20-2012

Positioning is key, you never want to be caught out of position and want to be in the middle of your group. For adc's like graves and trist and corki that can w into position utilize that to keep even more distance from the enemy team.

I think the biggest issue I had when an ADC is that you have to commit and live or die, just stay committed! Worst case is 2nd guessing and maybe you get away but you lost 2/3 your life doing so while you could have exchanged or forced them away. ESPECIALLY when you get a Blood thirster or sanguine blade... your stronger the longer you stay atk'ing them.

Hope that helps.. but Positioning and commitment!!

KissingTheShadow

11-20-2012

The biggest problem I had improving with ADC's was to be patient. You don't need to harass the enemy as soon as they get in sight. Get your own last hits then poke them when they go in for a last hit.

And for late game, are you jumping in before the tank? If so, that is a big problem, hit the nearest target if you can't get close to the squishies without dying.

Odegrar

11-20-2012

I'm learning to be an ADC (I'm lvl 29) and I agree with the two key skills you need are last hitting and positioning.
Last hitting (and farming) will get you the items to deal damage. The more gold the sooner (and better) you'll equip. Once you start dealing damage and team fights take place, it vital that you realize that your role is to do damage. If you die first, then your team loses a lot of damage output. That's why you need to be able to wait for the initiation, deal as much damage as possible, and watch your health (retreat if necessary)
As an ADC, you'll get focused, so its ok if you back off because they're hitting you hard. Sometimes, you can even get your team a free kill, because your team will kill the one who's chasing you and trying to finish you off.
Also, get used to play one or two champions. That way, you'll know exactly how much damage you can deal/take, which will help you to know when to go in and when to back off.

MercifulMolester

11-20-2012

Pick one or two champs to ADC as, and get a feel for their skill shots, and learn to know when you can or can't kill someone without dying.
Also, don't only get last hits on minions, try to get every possible kill you can in-lane, and act aggressive if you can. Your job is to get fed, and get all the kills untill you snowball out of control.

You fall off late game because you aren't getting the kills you need as an adc.

TechnalityPulse

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Blind Moron View Post
I realize that being an ADC just means "get last hits" and "try not to die", but even if I succeed at those two things I still wind up contributing nothing to the team.
There's a lot more to it than that.

1) Last hit
2) Harrass
3) Map awareness
4) Be very cooperative with your support.
5) Never ever initiate. That's the tanks job, and the tank should be doing it. You're job, as a ranged champion is to sit behind said tank and deal damage without getting dealt damage back.
6) Build a Last Whisper or Black Cleaver (not for a first item, but usually either 3rd or 4th). Always. The Unique passives (40% armor penetration on Last Whisper) is very important. That goes a lot farther than 100 AD will.
7) Retouching on number 5, never initiate, this also means never walk in WITH your team. Stay behind them and wait for the enemy to waste their CC (stuns, snares and other things) on your tanks and bruisers.
8) Always have a way out. This means, if you're not aware of all the enemy champs movements, you better have a plan C in case that champ decides to come up behind all of your team and backstab you.
9) Try not to die. Lifesteal is very important for this, but here's a good generic (really really generic and changes as necessary) build for a good ADC
Beserker's Greaves
2 Doran's Blades (Not for keeps, sell them for other items)
B.F. Sword > Infinity Edge or Blood Thirster
Zeal/Last Whisper (because I don't recommend Black Cleaver)
Infinity Edge/Blood Thirster
Phantom Dancer (from the zeal)
Guardians Angel (only tank item)

Oh, and with all those rules I gave you, there's a very specific wording used. Almost EVERYONE calls it Positioning. If you're out of Position, you're asking to lose. Sorry for the long post, I figured it was important to clarify though.