New to ranked! Please help!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Habeeb

11-26-2012

Hey guys,

So I am not new to league, but new to ranked. I've played a couple games, and got my ELO to about 1225. I have been watching streams trying to learn, it has helped a little. But there are some thing that these streamers are so used to, that they just don't explain them. Like when something is dumb to do, and what is going on in their mind.

So I was wondering if you guys had any advice, guides, or certain streamers that have helped you.

Lochemya

11-26-2012

Hi !

Wow. First of all, I commend your proactivity. Most people roll their way down to ELO hell blaming their teammates instead of trying to improve their gameplay. Kudos to you!

As for the "inside info" that streamers are used to, there is no such thing, but I recommend watching the Tournament streams to learn the lingo. The Tournaments are what set up the "meta", the internal gameplay. For example, Rumble was thought to be horrible until the Europeans dominated a tournament using him as a Bruiser at top. The meta is where you find what is considered "normal" in a competitive match.

The only other thing that comes to mind would be positioning, i.e. getting "caught" or being "out of position". Positioning is really only learned by having a decent understanding of the game through practice or study. After playing so many hours, one learns the safest place in teamfights or where the "dangerous" (commonly warded) paths are.

Hope that helps !

Eeirail

11-26-2012

Uhm, try a Youtube thing called League Epics or even Top Fails, they are made by the same person and they helped me learn even tactics outside of ranked matches, and he thoroughly explains what is going on, and they can give you ideas of how to set up your moves and what not. It isn't exactly designed to help, but they do.

TehomCD

11-26-2012

TheOddOne may be kind of a rager at times, but he often does explain a lot of things while he streams. He's pretty funny too, so it's a fun stream to watch. I've heard Scarra and Aphromoo's streams are pretty good for commentary too, but I haven't caught them yet. Westrice was doing commentary on his stream the other day while playing Akali which was pretty helpful (like when to get certain items based on how the game goes), which was nice.

If you have any general questions about things you see higher rated players do, some of us might know why even if we're immensely lower rated than them, so can't hurt to ask.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

11-26-2012

I recommend Ciderhelm on Youtube, though he has not been streaming LoL much in the past several weeks. But you can watch all of his archived streams. He talks to his viewers while playing and also explains a lot of the decisions that he's making, points out mistakes that his teammates and opponents are making, etc.

TOErannosaurus

11-26-2012

WingsOfDeathx on Twitch.tv. Really good player that explains almost everything that goes through his mind as he plays. He primarily seems to play jungle or top though, so if you're trying to learn another role his stream might not be for you.