What do you think?

We need more badass females 637 28.88%
We need more crude, unrefined, gritty females 313 14.19%
All above. 858 38.89%
NO. 398 18.04%
Voters: 2206. You may not vote on this poll

@IronStylus/Morello: [Subject] The type of female champions we're missing.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jars

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-23-2012

it is amusing that all the examples come from anime which is a pretty bad medium to display those characteristics

Woozl

11-23-2012

Monstrous females please.

Ahri, Anivia, Cassiopeia, Elise, Nami, Orianna (barely), Shyvana, Soraka and Zyra pale in comparison to the 30 odd male monstrous champions. Less generic "slap breasts on it" humans, more original female monsters.

Morphine

11-23-2012

Oh man OP, is that Ange Ushiromiya in your first picture? What a perfect example.

Take a look at some of these females (can you name where they're from)? A girl like these would be so f'ing awesome. Some are manipulative, some are calculating, some are eerie, some are utterly brutal. But I think a lot of what makes these characters "good", or memorable, is how their story is told, if that makes sense.

League is really hit-or-miss when it comes to conveying attitude well. Characters like Vayne and Diana and Orianna absolutely knock it out of the park. Everything they do just oozes character, from the kit to the art to the skillset, to how they move, how they speak... everything sells the story of those characters. Playing heroes like that makes it feel like you're playing part of a story. I find that sort of character really gripping and I think it's super super fun to play when done well.

Other heroes don't do it as well, in my mind, and verge on the old "telling and not showing". Fiora and Kat both come to mind (and Sejuani, for an easy example). It's not just how they're dressed (though that does contribute some amount), but how they speak, how they "feel". Fiora and Kat running around saying "I'm super tough" feels a lot less convincing than Vayne whispering about purging the earth of the unclean or Diana trying to justify her actions ("They would not listen... I cannot turn back...") or Orianna trying to grasp human behavior ("Why are they running? So strange, they scream...").

And it's not just presentation. Vayne runs around in a spandex suit and manages to be intimidating and serious. I think it's all kind of a big collaborative effort that produces a character that really sells itself, even though it's easy to say that running around in skimpy stuff always makes a character less believable.

I hope that if Riot makes some genuinely badass girls they sell their flavor well. Super excited for the new girl, hope she lives up to the hype.

Bes7iA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-24-2012

i think everyone has a different way to understand what a badass woman is.

but for me is this

and yeah diana is fine, but for me riven is just another doll

Ninja Disco Frog

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bes7iA View Post
i think everyone has a different way to understand what a badass woman is.

but for me is this

and yeah diana is fine, but for me riven is just another doll
I am in love with these examples
These.
Three.
Yesss.

SpaceDink

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
You assume so much about our internal production. I'm really disappointed that you can say with such certainty that we don't know the course or prescribed actions of our own departments or the cycle of production. Question all you like, it's this sort of attitude that actually makes me want to pull away from spirited discussions I actually enjoy having. Your opinion is known, reiterated, logged, cut into stone by a thousand others.

I've been at the forefront of this discussion for 2 years now, actively involved in not only the production but the externally facing affairs. Yet apparently the knowledge and comprehension of our little developer world is so grasped by your infinite certainty that you can accurately ascertain the timelines that should be adhered to and the moral fortitude to hand us our directives.

I'm actually offended that you can question my character or treat my words as excuses. I've been nothing but transparent and a stalwart activist in these matters. Recognize that. The course of this debate has shifted dramatically, in a positive direction over the course of two years. You do nothing but reverse the tone of it's course. I'm pretty sick of the withering away of perspective of how I in particular have helped to further the variety and equality cause. I don't have to stick my neck out, but I do. Even when I am in no way responsible for content that comes through the pipe. I choose to make this a cause of mine.

I won't clash swords with the merits of your stances but I will absolutely dismiss your over-generalizing certainty. Your accusations are not only baseless but they are incorrect. I can stand a differing point of view, though I actually agree with you, but the way in which you cast judgement with such fundamentalist fervor makes your points meaningless to me.

I rarely respond to posts like yours, I believe in promoting positive behavior, but I'm reaching my limit.

Check your attitude. That's something I'd like to communicate across the board.

This is my choice, not my responsibility.
yeah people just don't paY attentiOn to what is important. ironstylus has endlessly sUpported our coMmunity And has Done it with his own time and has remained dedicated to us Based on his own desiRes to bring out our thoughts to riOt?s attention. It is primariLy him whO has and wilL allow our wish to happen.

Edit: hidden message...

Cuix

11-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
If I do not show my drive and passion for this via my actions my words are meaningless.
Nami has a random boob opening that sinks down to around her bellybutton, and that involves leaving her outer layer of skin open.

Elise is in a dominatrix outfit and has the same silhouette as all of the other females.

Zyra has her plant skin open to show off extra cleavage, has that same silhouette, and wears heels for no reason.

Syndra is in a dominatrix outfit, her splash art is nicely designed to give an up-skirt view, and she has that same silhouette.

Parrot, I really, REALLY want to believe you, because this is one of the last Massive Important Issues™ that is currently plaguing LoL. It's hard, though, seeing the huge swath of sexualized women surrounding the tiny pocket of gals that make sense. Diana was great... or, at least, she was going to be, until she was packaged with a skin that shows off more of her body than even Ahri ever would.

Stark Midnight

11-26-2012

I think alot of people need to separate reality from fantasy and realize that your fighting the wrong battle in the wrong place. This is a video game people.

c0reyp0wner

12-05-2012

Didn't we JUST get a badass female?
*cough*Diana*cough*
Edit: AND Syndra? "I had more of a youthful + energeticly rebellious/rash" is pretty much Syndra in a nutshell

Rowanoake

12-05-2012

so, i tried to make a champion concept for a "shy girl" champion:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2869592

with arts:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...9&d=1354743130