Galio's Ultimate or Lack Thereof

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

30 Helens

11-19-2012

I used to play Galio way back in the day before Idol of Durand was nerfed. I understand it had a little too much power back then and I agree that it needed to be toned down a bit, at least with respect to damage output.

Now, I still love Galio and I still play him frequently as he will always be an excellent AP counter. However, his ultimate now feels like less than a Rammus taunt or any basic CC ability for that matter. It seems like the recent tenacity changes have done more to Galio's ultimate (and possibly Veigar's stun) than any other champion's abilities. Don't get me wrong, it's great if you wait to use it until your enemies have blown their own CC and summoner spells; to land it on a few carries rocking Zerks or Sorc Boots, but I'm most concerned and dismayed by the fact that any kind of tenacity seems to negate Idol of Durand almost completely.

Any champion using Merc Treads caught in Galio's ultimate only seems to be taunted for around one second. It's absurd. I can't tell you how many times I've landed Durand on multiple targets only to see those with Merc Treads get CC'd for barely one second before being able to use flash, or any mobility creep innate to that champion, to get out Durand well before it explodes. This is without cleanse or QSS. All you need is Merc Tread and it seems as if Galio didn't even use his ultimate.

What's even more intensely frustrating is champions who have CC and wear Merc Treads. I can't tell you how many times I've used Idol on a target with the slight tenacity from merc's only to see them in control of their character less than a second later, use a dash or flash to get just out of range, and then interrupt the spell all in time frame less than the full duration of Idol.

Hell, I even had a Nautilus with Mercury Treads [edited: likely a quick dredge line] pull me out of Durand even though he was caught in it initially. Tenacity completely negated the miniscule duration of my ult, and then he just AA'd and knocked me out of it.

Galio's ultimate is hard enough to land well in teamfights without perfect timing and a flash, but it's even harder to get full duration since it gets interrupted by almost anything. The damage is negligible already, so it's primary function is team utility. But even that is nullified by 1150g boots that at least half the enemy team wears.

It's just sad to me, because this is Galio's ultimate, this is the entire culmination of his skill set and it's currently in a state worse than any other basic ability CC on any other champion.

Wyl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

It has the potential to be game-breaking, so of course it needs counters. It's like saying Darius' ult sucks because Heal exists.

p13rc3y7

11-19-2012

A well timed Galio ulti can control the flow of team fight.. You just need to work on your positioning and timing..

30 Helens

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyl View Post
It has the potential to be game-breaking, so of course it needs counters. It's like saying Darius' ult sucks because Heal exists.

But that's preceisley the point: it already has too many counters: QSS, BV, and CC by any champion who didn't get caught by it, and now any CC by any champion who did get caught but bought merc treads. Tencity reduces it's effect on targets so much that, of it's two second duration, an enemy champion can do just about anything for more than half the duration that Galio is immobile. It can almost become a self-cc on Galio more than anything else under those conditions.

Gløry

11-19-2012

Nautilus's passive is not a stun. It's a root, which means you can't move.

But if you were ulting, you weren't moving anyway, so it didn't affect you. FYI. If you'd said bear stance udyr or garen with his Q up, you'd be right though.

Anyway, Galio's ultimate is amazing, idk what you're on about. Yeah, merc treads is a counter to it, and it's extremely frustrating to have the enemy just walk out. But on the other hand, taking 20 pen away from the AP carry, or 25% AS from the AD Carry is pretty nice, too.

Also, you can now cast bulwark during Idol, instead of having to pre-load it and give away that you were about to flash in.

30 Helens

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by p13rc3y7 View Post
A well timed Galio ulti can control the flow of team fight.. You just need to work on your positioning and timing..

I get it. And I like playing Galio, and ults that are not interrupted and do catch more than one or two enemies can definitely change the fight, like most other ultimnates. I'm just saying that the perfect Galio ultimate is fewer and farther between than it ever was. I suggest making the tenacity reduction smaller than it currently is, that's all. There's still about 1500 ways to interrupt Idol anyway.

KillerJaedong

11-19-2012

All stuns / taunts etc have counters in BV, QSS and mercs.

It's not just galio. His ultimate still pretty much stuns an entire team for a second and then deals damage and thats pretty good.

2pudge1cup

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

it isn't necessarily about position and timing. it's fundamental problem is that it's affected by tenacity but the damage is completely backloaded. so against a target who just buys mercs (or any of the new tenacity items), they can just walk out. ever since 10% tenacity was thrown on the defense tree it's been much easier to get out of that ult.

his ult may be his greatest asset, but it's also he's greatest problem when it comes to reliability and counterplay. tenacity completely destroys it.

omegademan

11-19-2012

Galio really does have to many counters to his ult. There are too many passives, items, and skills that can be used during his ulti that cancels it out.

Sion's ults, Udyr, Naut passive, Blitz E, GPs W, Irelia, any ranged, and the list goes on.

30 Helens

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glry View Post
Nautilus's passive is not a stun. It's a root, which means you can't move.

But if you were ulting, you weren't moving anyway, so it didn't affect you. FYI. If you'd said bear stance udyr or garen with his Q up, you'd be right though.
The tool tip only says it "immobilizes target." I'm pretty sure it works like a stun and not a root as I am positive it broke my ultimate numerous times last night. [Edit: I believe this was just a dredge line right next to me]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glry View Post
Also, you can now cast bulwark during Idol, instead of having to pre-load it and give away that you were about to flash in.
I don't see how bulwarking might deceive the opponent into thinking I wasn't going to flash/ultimate, except perhaps that they may think it's stupid to do because bulwark would mitigate the damage received to Galio from AP sources and thus possibly make his ultimate output less damage. That's ok, I guess, since the damage is **** and not the primary reason for using his ult. Is that what you meant?