Building Caitlyn

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BMcB

11-19-2012

How can I help my wife build Caitlyn better? What's the generic rule of thumb for building a Caitlyn on Dominion? She's great at dodging and getting out of trouble...but I feel like she just doesn't do enough damage. So any tips on building her?

Thanks!

KaWraith

11-19-2012

infinity edge, phantom dancer, last whisper.
that should be your core dmg (you can add Sanguine blade and a defensive item)
final build should look something like AS boots, IE, PD, LW, SB, GA

also don't use her abilities in a fight late game: her autoattack does more dps than her ultimate, or q (and using your q to poke can get you jumped on... when possible have her stay in brush during a teamfight, it doubles the rate of her passive (and crit headshots with IE can do a lot of dmg)

also: i suggest using flat AD runes (reds and quints), Caits q and r scale with AD.

most ranged ADCs are currently a bit weak on dominion (vayne, graves, ezreal, kogmaw, corki are exceptions)
this is due to high mobility (graves ez corki), or hypercarrying capacity (vayne kogmaw)

I wish my wife played lol... good luck

Tempestphile

11-19-2012

I run flat AD quint and Red, Armor / level yellow, MR / Level Blue

I start prospectus and boot 1, then vamp scepter, and berzerker graves, into Sanguine blade, a zeal, an infinity edge, to phantom dance

If against champs that has high heal / lifesteal, build a executioners calling after Zeal

FOODFOOD

11-19-2012

Cait scales pretty well with AD and Lifesteal, as her Headshot procs the additional lifesteal from the extra damage. Sanguine Blade is pretty good on her. If it's ported over to Dominion, the new "Hurricane" item will make her a powerhouse in bot lane, regardless of the life steal nerf.

CallMeTaste

11-19-2012

Been playing cait all day bot lane. She is good top too, but excels at solo 1v1 pushing. It's pretty crazy.
Prospector's Blade/Boots/2pots > Zerker Greaves > Vamp Scept > SB > PD > LW > IE

Build Hexdrinker > Maw vs a strong ap

Only lane that gives me trouble is vs Yorick.. Not sure how I should build vs him.

Credentials
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/24661168#history

hinderlopen

11-19-2012

you can either build standard AD carry items (sanguine/IE + vamp, PD, LW) or the hilariously fun attack speed/on-hit caitlyn (every recurve bow upgrade). Although the second assumes you have a pretty easy matchup bot.

some itemization choices depending on the enemy team are:
-early hp/kiting with a phage, this is good against assassins and enemies with no gap closers and doesn't have to be upgrades till lategame (into mallet, not trinity)
-mr with merc treads and maybe...MAYBE an odyn's veil (against annoying people like fizz and kassadin) but this should be after your 2-3 damage items
-lightbringer even when there are no stealth champions, it's good at avoiding bush jukes

-against heavy armor opponents, get last whisper very early, like 2nd big item early

-IE vs Sanguine: I go for IE only when there are no crazy tanks like malphite/amumu since it's really expensive and will push the last whisper too far back. If the enemies are squishy you can afford to get IE for greater damage and ignore LW for a while.

You should probably know that even if you're building right in mid game and can stay alive to do some damage, ad caries in general are not going to look like they do a lot of damage. This happens because you're probably looking at the damage from other champions throwing down their spells and doing a good chunk of damage and then comparing that to what the ad carry can do. The ad carry is not going to do a lot at first glance, and certainly will not have the burst of ap carries and bruisers, however, they will do a similar amount of damage over 5-6 seconds. So if you itemize and position correctly, you can rest assured that your ad carry is doing their share of the damage.