Getting better at Jungling

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

1 800 PLZ GANK

11-20-2012

I've been playing for a year and have been playing a lot of ranked solo queue, and have been playing with a ranked team.
I consider myself a decent jungler but I feel like my map presence is no where near it can be.
I usually end up positive and most of the time i snowball my top lane, but it feels like there is always one lane i neglect, or if i gank to much, i fall far behind.
If i could get some tips or some insight from more experienced junglers that would be fantastic.

shondon

11-20-2012

I've learned that it is extremely difficult to satisfy every lane's desires, simply because you cannot be everywhere on the map at once. I can also relate to falling behind when ganking too often, and neglecting your jungle.

Its all about finding the middle ground between farming jungle and ganking, a middle ground that turns out as efficiently coordinated as you can manage.

Calculations of gank effectiveness are not so difficult, observe the lane matchups and understand each enemy champion's escape potential when deciding which lane is optimal to gank. Keep in mind that when lanes are pushed, It's much harder to perform a successful gank.

Farming jungle alone is never optimal, always squeeze in ganks when you feel you have a high success chance, and don't let people convince you to gank a lane when you don't see much potential in such an ordeal.

Those are just a few ideas that may help you become a better jungler, I think jungling is the most important and most difficult role in the game, you can always manage time more efficiently by just thinking ahead.

Heavens Dominion

11-20-2012

Some tips that I have found to make my jungling play a lot more successful:

1. Gank mid often (by camping around and returning to the mid, you have the same access to both top and bot if they request aid or see another gank opportunity).

2. When a gank is successful, don't hang around, jump back into the jungle towards another lane, gaining gold along the way for effective lane presence + successful ganks.

3. Make sure you have great Quint's and runes (goes without saying but very important and game changing if done correctly). I prefer Gold production quints + heart of gold + phil. stone + blue sword thing (+5 gold/5) + gold production in utility mastery = NEVER having gold production issues, in fact you will find that you will complete your build and have too much gold this way sometimes.

4. Use champs with great mobility to allow you to traverse the map better (personally I like Sejuani and Malphite a lot because they can quickly rush through walls--rediculously relevant and highly overlooked in the jungle) Yes, Malphites ultimate does go through virtually every wall = OP jungling gank madness!! Also, try to get champs that have great cc, that is important beyond measure (try Nunu, Sejuani, Amumu, etc). Nautilus....Oh friggin Nautilus as a jungler.... friggin nightmare!!

5. Try different builds and see what works better, don't be scared to try things that don't work in ai bot matches or something.

6. Make sure you have relevant summoner spells (in other words, don't always go smite flash because its whats run all the time. I use clarity with Sejuani, Malphite, and Nautilus and have noticed significant increases in my jungling gank success rate.

7. ALWAYS BUY WARDS!!! NO EXCEPTIONS--YOU ARE THE JUNGLES SIGHT.

8. Don't hog all of the buffs for yourself, pull your Mid AP and give them blue, or your main AD give him the red, this will help your jungling more effectively because you will have stronger teammates to complete ganks with.

9. If there is no counter jungler, eat away at the enemy teams jungle like a monster (I have pulled some crazy ganks that people didn't expect because of this).

10. When counter jungling, ward their blue and red often, and gank them within their jungle, bring a friend and laugh about it--it's fun!

Anywho, hope this helps--this is kinda like a top 10 for me, and it has helped my game loads--I hope it will help you out friend. Good Luck!

LoneChipmunk

11-20-2012

Counter jungling is VERY fun

TeknoWizard

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavens Dominion View Post
3. Make sure you have great Quint's and runes (goes without saying but very important and game changing if done correctly). I prefer Gold production quints + heart of gold + phil. stone + blue sword thing (+5 gold/5) + gold production in utility mastery = NEVER having gold production issues, in fact you will find that you will complete your build and have too much gold this way sometimes.

4. Use champs with great mobility to allow you to traverse the map better (personally I like Sejuani and Malphite a lot because they can quickly rush through walls--rediculously relevant and highly overlooked in the jungle) Yes, Malphites ultimate does go through virtually every wall = OP jungling gank madness!! Also, try to get champs that have great cc, that is important beyond measure (try Nunu, Sejuani, Amumu, etc). Nautilus....Oh friggin Nautilus as a jungler.... friggin nightmare!!

6. Make sure you have relevant summoner spells (in other words, don't always go smite flash because its whats run all the time. I use clarity with Sejuani, Malphite, and Nautilus and have noticed significant increases in my jungling gank success rate.
A few critizims from me personally.

3. It seems like a waste considering that most junglers would benefit more from getting point in other trees. Going that deep in Utility hardly seems preferable to, say, 0-21-9.

4. He brings up many of the "CC Tanks" in the game, but forgets a few. Rammus is incredibly powerful, but suceptible to counter-jungling. Maokai can gank very quickly from the start of the game, and has great late game presence. Skarner has insane ganks post-6, thanks to his un-cleansable suppress. Also, never forget the viability of pure damage ganks. Shyvanna is a great example of this. She doesn't bring much CC, but freakin' hurts to get hit by! Lee Sin is a happy medium of the two, bringing a good slow AND a lot of early damage. Udyr also fits in with Lee Sin.

6. Umm, not so sure about clarity. I'd recommend to sticking to flash on most junglers, exhaust on a few where you need more CC, and ghost on maybe one or two.

1 800 PLZ GANK

11-20-2012

ty all for the advice