Why do teams that crush the other team say "well played"

1234567 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mr Knubbers

11-19-2012

someone saying GG WP when you get demolished 22-1... just rubs it in. IMO. hurts all my feelings.

Crosbie

11-19-2012

it must take some innate insecurity to take "well played" as a patronising insult, even if you did play like ****. The fact that somebody saying "well played" causes you discomfort and insult should really trouble you.

MaruFrozen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlessXiao View Post
It's an insult only if you're overthinking it.

You know it's not the intent. You only have yourself to blame for feeling butthurt about it.
So why even add the 'wp' at the end? I didn't even used to see it before the whole honorable opponent thing. To me it's someone reaching for more than just shaking my hand and I don't care to do more than shake the hand of someone who didn't say a single thing to me the entire match except 'gg wp'. You can keep saying 'It's just them trying to be sporting.' but there's no need for the 'wp' part unless it was well played and if it wasn't then it's either someone reaching for honor or trying to be a dick.

Regardless of how you look at it, 'wp' is unnecessary in most games.

But it's ok, go ahead and try to 'reach out' further than you need to. I'd rather not give you more than a handshake especially if you have the mind set that I'm 'butthurt' over a completely unneeded pair of letters.

SubSt8

11-19-2012

Holy **** people will whine about anything. Seriously, it's a game, ignore chat and just play. Stop being so sensitive.

Feeder and Troll

11-19-2012

would you rather they said "gg too easy noobs"

Quartzmonkey

11-19-2012

Same reason atheists say "bless you" after someone sneezes.

It's just convention.

StoneColdSteve

11-19-2012

i think it's just that people aren't really up on their old school gaming etiquitte.

even way back in original starcraft days, "gg wp" was something the LOSER said to the WINNER. he's congratulating the winner on his well-played game. if the loser doesn't say anything ( perhaps from rage or w/e) then generally the winner would simply remain tastefully silent.

just blurting out "gg" when u are winning sometimes comes off as a jerk move, as it looks like you are just trying to get them to concede, or rubbing in the loss. saying "wp" when someone actually played horribly kinda goes into the same category. the 0/11 ad carry knows that they played really poorly, so cheerily telling them "well played!" is just rubbing salt in the wound and can likely be interpreted as sarcasm.

i don't personally have a problem with people saying this, but if it's coming from the winning team before anyone on the losing team says anything, and especially if the game was really one-sided, then it seems to me to be simply a habit that these summoners have to type it rather than any sort of attempt to actually say the game was good or that the losers played well.

Averforge

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

i mainly say it because even when we win 21-3 they did do so plays that i couldn't do ever, they sometimes even play better then i yet i get saved by an awesome team, but mostly because at the end of a game not just league i usualy say well played to my opponent

HeartlessXiao

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaruFrozen View Post
So why even add the 'wp' at the end? I didn't even used to see it before the whole honorable opponent thing. To me it's someone reaching for more than just shaking my hand and I don't care to do more than shake the hand of someone who didn't say a single thing to me the entire match except 'gg wp'. You can keep saying 'It's just them trying to be sporting.' but there's no need for the 'wp' part unless it was well played and if it wasn't then it's either someone reaching for honor or trying to be a dick.

Regardless of how you look at it, 'wp' is unnecessary in most games.

But it's ok, go ahead and try to 'reach out' further than you need to. I'd rather not give you more than a handshake especially if you have the mind set that I'm 'butthurt' over a completely unneeded pair of letters.
I don't do it personally. I normally just say "gg."

That said, you're definitely reading into it too much. You're assigning intent when there is none. It only upsets you because you let it upset you.

True My Blade

11-19-2012

Yo op, I can see you are one of those people who take everything seriously so my suggestion is to turn off the All Chat option or you're going to have a bad time.

1234567 ... 8