Current Conditions of Blackfire Torch and Wooglet's Cap

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Risemix

11-24-2012

I'm seeing a lot of "mages were already good" in this thread, which is bizarre to me as the relative weakness of most "turret" burst and utility mages was a common discussion topic on the Dominion forums... always.

There are a few mages that are good and can work like Kassadin, but most of them only work because they can use low-cost penetration, cdr, and defensive items to take advantage of their high base damage or utility. When you're playing a character like Brand or Xerath, or even Orianna and Lux those builds just aren't as strong leaving them with very few choices.

I'm glad to see burst mages doing damage and staying relevant. That doesn't have to preclude game balance, but I hope we can continue to have viable damage-oriented builds on casters.

konfetarius

11-24-2012

Technically, this item is a buff to sustain/dot/harass mages more than burst mages. Someone like Le Blonk doesn't get anywhere near as much out of this item as someone like Zyra would.

Tempestphile

11-24-2012

When are we deleting Teemo? Because every ****ing game i played there is a BFT Teemo, its ****ing piece of ****

I am just playing bots now

Dominus Arts

11-25-2012

To be honest from my point of view Blackfire Torch is only devastating against players who don't give a damn about stacking magic resist. It shouldn't be much of a problem for players who know how to balance their champion builds so their champion will be tanky with decent damage. If I were to point out the deadliest item that was ever made for ap champs, it still would be Old Deathfire Grasp.

1 point of magic pen costs way more than 1 point of magic resist, not to mention that with negatron cloak You already negate Sorcs shoes and btf mpen together for the price of 740. Passive is also not much of a problem if you have a little sustain or hp/5 item.

Sorcs together with BFT cost 3600. For this price You can:

1. Buy Negatron Cloak and Sanguine Blade if You are Ad champ - this way you sustain damage if you autoattack
2. Buy Force of Nature and something else that you would see fit (f.ex parts for aegis if you see that your team is not stacking mr). This item still will be deleted but before that time comes, new S3 defensive items will be up.
3. Buy Abyssal Scepter if You are close ranged AP champion. If your teammates are AP oriented they will gain a lot from your aura if by any chance they rushed btf too.
4. Buy hexdrinker + something or Maw of Malmortius
5. Buy Aegis + Something

These are only examples, there are still many different options to build effectively against that item. If You learn to counter it now, you'll only have it easier the moment it will be nerfed.

Redenbacher

11-25-2012

^Agreed. BFT is quickly negated by an investment in MR. The people I see complain about it in-game have little or no magic resistance.

"Oh noes! That means my bruiser can't build as much damage!"

Good. That's the way it's supposed to be.

However, current BFT is a little too powerful, but I think the next patch will bring it in line to where it needs to be.

I annihilated a Teemo with Mordekaiser and a Force of Nature + Abyssal Scepter. Granted, that Teemo didn't have the best build in the world... but I wasn't the least bit concerned about his damage over time.

Cauldrath

11-25-2012

What do you build to counter someone with BFT and Sheen/Triforce/Iceborn Gauntlet, then? Magic resist is a lot cheaper if you assume that physical damage doesn't exist. Even without that, Void Staff still exists.

Redenbacher

11-25-2012

Why does someone who has Triforce have the soon-to-be-nerfed BFT?

I build HP, and maybe a splash of armor... to deal with that AP champion trying to add a meager amount of attack damage to his build without any armor penetration. Frozen Fist is 125% of their base attack damage. The base attack damage of an AP champion. It's not like he's building that item and turns in to an AD carry.

It's amazing that with all these item choices, you can actually work in armor, magic resistance, AND health.

I really believe there is an alarming amount of overreaction in this thread.

Cauldrath

11-25-2012

Why would someone like Jax, Hecarim, Poppy, or Skarner have BFT and Triforce? Because they want to deal a lot of damage without spending a lot of gold on it?

There seems to be a lot of people assuming BFT is only good on AP champs. It actually is pretty bad on some AP champs when compared to how good it is on a lot of bruisers. (I wouldn't build nerfed BFT on Xerath, Morgana, or Veigar, for instance, who are all in pretty bad shape to begin with.)

Wrathofrecca

11-25-2012

I almost cared about this thread but then I remembered that tanky derp dominated 3s and dominion for months and quit caring.

IIxeenoxII

11-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathofrecca View Post
I almost cared about this thread but then I remembered that tanky derp dominated 3s and dominion for months and quit caring.
cool, except now its dominated by teemo, elise, mumu and singed.

IMO just getting MR won't cut it, the only way to really counter it (BFT) is with MR (obvious) + pseudo sustain in the form of health regen or life steal. A problem that is compounded by the fact that healing is reduced on dominion. What item offers this? FoN but it is being removed. Obviously, we know BFT is getting nerfed, but this is something I wanted to bring up for others to comment/think about...