How to stop procrastinating?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PhiBoiz

11-18-2012

I always save my homework till night time... or if it's the weekend Sunday night...

Any tips?
I think just forcing myself to do it earlier would be the best options.. anyone else have any other suggestions?

Dobagoh

11-18-2012

it's because you have depression

CatchandKiss

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

You should tell yourself you want to do it.
That it's something you enjoy.

Indari

11-18-2012

haha I often procrastinate too. I'm 'doing' a science project thats due tommorow this instance.

try to shut out things that distract you and work in a quiet room.

Kodoku

11-18-2012

Do work every day. Even if you don't have anything assigned. Doesn't have to be a lot, just enough (30-60 mins) so that it becomes something natural for you. Alternatively, when you get assigned something, set aside an hour a day (a specific hour, when you know you don't have any obligations) to do it. Once that hour is over, no more working on that assignment is needed for that day. Being specific is important. No entertainment allowed for that hour. It's a bit contrived, but reprogramming behavior is not something that tends to come naturally. The only exception to this is if you genuinely enjoy and take an interest in what you're studying. Though if you're in K-12, that's unlikely.

Overcoming procrastination eliminates a lot of unnecessary stress in your life.

Quision

11-18-2012

This may be a serious problem, and sometimes you just have to learn the hard way. Fail a class. I doubt you'll still be procrastinating when you see what it actually does for you.

Jaykoboy

11-18-2012

The first step is admitting that you procrastinate.

After that, it's a great idea to organize yourself; leaving timers, writing notes, having friends send you e-mails. It's a lot harder to procrastinate when what you're trying to put off is constantly breathing down your back.

After that, it's just a lot of hard work, mostly in making new habits.

Memorylame

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

They told me once that I'd amount to nothing due to my procrastinations.......you just wait and see I told them....you just wait and see...

PhiBoiz

11-18-2012

I think I'll try shutting off my computer and doing 1 hour of homework a day, compared to sitting on the computer and acting like I'm getting stuff done.

Shredder05

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiBoiz View Post
I always save my homework till night time... or if it's the weekend Sunday night...

Any tips?
I think just forcing myself to do it earlier would be the best options.. anyone else have any other suggestions?
The difference between einstein and a basement nerd is:

einstein wanted to get his theories as good as he could

the basement nerd wants to get his gamerscore as good as he can.

Find something that affects you. Here's a self experiment to hopefully explain to you how to stop procrastinating: dumb a bucket of confetti all over your computer desk. Spill some water and peanut butter or something all over it, right on the mousepad and keyboard.

Then take note of what you do next. Study your actions and observe yourself, and make notes on how the specimen (yourself) deals with this. Then try to find a root cause of the behaviour.

What i've typed does in fact make sense and when you realize why it does you will go "ahaa!"