Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Game][Feedback][Major] Season 3: Ionic Spark vs. Statikk Shiv and why it is terrible

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Khell DarkWolf

11-18-2012

Quote:
Codykinz:
I see no problem with it, and on of the points of all these items is to get away from the WRONG idea that every class builds the same way, and NEEDS to.

Ghostblade --> Statikk Shiv --> TrinForce --> Maw --> Guardian Angel w/ boots.

Nothing wrong with the build.
An off-tanky bruiser with not only single-target assassination and damaging, but slight AoE havoc.

Try it before you instantly knock it down, please.

And I'll iterate here that yes:

The focus is to get away from building items that are "Wrong" and everything is cookie cutter.

It isn't just the discussion about how useless the Statikk Shiv is.

It's about how there are so many "niche" items that we get to play with and Ionic Spark falls into this category.

Having them remove Ionic Spark is removing a new potential niche item in the new S3 format. It doesn't need to be removed when we can have it stay in-game and find ways to make things work on whole new levels with all the new items!

Its like saying:

"Due to Karma not seeing much play in season 2 because she was undesirable for a team comp and the mechanics behind her being a support. She was only used for the fun and niche comps,so were going to remove her and will be replacing her with a new champion to take her place with similarities.

We will also be adding more champions to take advantage of this new surprise champion to coincide with the champion we are replacing Karma with in season 3!"

Keep the Ionic Spark for Season 3.

Fox P McCloud

11-18-2012

Quite frankly, I think Shiv should just apply every 4th auto-attack; it'll make it consistent and a perfectly viable alternative to PD.

The passive on it is not only weird, but very few ADCs will be able to utilize it (Ezreal is probably the only one I can remotely think of that can because of his poke oriented nature and huge damage source with Q).

Jaigar

11-18-2012

With the phantom dancer nerf, ADCs are mighty slow. I have a buddy who tried Vayne, just too slow and he couldn't outplay like he could on live.

The speed is a big deal, and because it does gain stacks on movement, you regain charges while doing the tower or baron dance.

I'm going to say that you are PBEing the wrong way. You should be trying ways to get the item to work, and then if it doesn't, you then you try using it another way. A PD+IE+Shiv combo gives you tons of crit and a good chunk of MS. I'd be curious how it would fair on say, a hybrid armor/magic pen kog.

BAM SpiceWeasel

11-18-2012

or you could just upgrade your boots... Also although they reduced the MS on PD they increased base move speed meaning that each % MS increase has more effect than it used to, so I'd be interested to see what the actual disparity in MS is.

RexSaur

11-18-2012

Shiv can be used as replacement for PD or for a second AS item after the PD on ad carries.

I feel the fact that it can crit + IE can make the passive deal tons of damage, its actually a big thing that you can ready the passive without needing to auto attack.

Jaigar

11-18-2012

Yeah, the Enchant for Furor counteracts the PD nerf, but if you are trying to escape, well, good luck. +15 MS is slightly weaker than the amount nerfed from PD, but it might be enough to be ok.

Honestly its difficult to say. And can someone check if Twitch gains 10 stacks per hit with his ulti?

Quote:
RexSaur:
Shiv can be used as replacement for PD or for a second AS item after the PD on ad carries.

I feel the fact that it can crit + IE can make the passive deal tons of damage, its actually a big thing that you can ready the passive without needing to auto attack.

I think we'll just have to see. Would be nice to see some serious games played and this stuff tested.

CooLTanG

Recruiter

11-18-2012

static shiv is great item just by the build components alone. First get Avarice blade 4gp10 & 2gpMinion and then build straight to damage and prob full boots, then build static shiv to round it out.

Aka Ashe straight to avarice blade for the bonus gold, then Infinity and throw in boots 2 somewhere there. Just get zeal or finish Static Shiv and u got a similar item to phantom but one that builds nice for u to hold onto gold for early farm.

Thronarr

11-18-2012

I suspect they didn't think much about removing ionic spark because the only person for whom it is core is Shen, and Shen is already extremely powerful, so I doubt they thought much about nerfing shen indirectly

It's okay on irelia/warwick but those champs probably want zephyr more if they want an attack speed item, and both champs scale okay with crit (unlike shen)

TL;DR: Riot is nerfing shen indirectly

RexSaur

11-18-2012

Quote:
Thronarr:
I suspect they didn't think much about removing ionic spark because the only person for whom it is core is Shen, and Shen is already extremely powerful, so I doubt they thought much about nerfing shen indirectly

It's okay on irelia/warwick but those champs probably want zephyr more if they want an attack speed item, and both champs scale okay with crit (unlike shen)

TL;DR: Riot is nerfing shen indirectly

The only champion that actually got hurt by this is Volibear imo, which kinda sucks since he wasant in a great place already, he might need some buffs. Ionic was the ''perfect'' item for him and he doesnt really scale with crit.

Shen can still rush sunfire and maybe even tiamat for split pushing, Irelia can use a lot of other AS items even better than ionic and WW 99% of the times wants Wits end.

IonDragonX

11-18-2012

Quote:
BAM SpiceWeasel:
or you could just upgrade your boots... Also although they reduced the MS on PD they increased base move speed meaning that each % MS increase has more effect than it used to, so I'd be interested to see what the actual disparity in MS is.

Actually no. The boots went down just as much as the champs went up. Overall, the %MS is better than Season 2 before you buy boots. Anybody going from dorans blade right into Zeal? I don't think people are that crazy.