Solo Top Runes, Whats Good?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HerpinMcDerpin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

Hi I like too play top lane frequently. I've been wondering lately what to bring in an ad vs ad situation. The books I bring top are

(BOOK 1)
6.8 DMG
13 armor
15 arm pen
24 mr @ lvl 18

(book 2)

15 dmg
13 arm
24 mr @ lvl 18

Both books seem to do fairly well but I cant help but wonder which is actually the best to use against a summoner using +13 armor seals.

Most players who spec armor bring a good 40 - 45 armor @ lvl 1.
I cant help but think I can profit more from using one attribute over the other ( arm pen or attk dmg)

I would like to keep my resistance runes the same and just work with quints and marks.
quints and reds = 15 dmg . Quints and reds = 25 arm pen

Which would net you more damage per auto attack against a champion with 45 armor?
Do you profit from using both? or is it better to go strait arm pen or attk dmg?

MustafaFeeds

11-18-2012

I prefer attack damage for last hitting which will help you scale better into late game. More last hits = more gold = better.

HerpinMcDerpin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

Yea thats what I do for bot lane, but I feel like top lane is a bit more confrontational and many times you have to fight for cs control.

Fifth Scheme

11-18-2012

Health regen quints are great for early sustain on certain champions as well.

Jiriosity

11-18-2012

ya but ad also helps you out a lot in fights/trades. It also causes your abilities to typically do more damage too, which armor pen does not. i think armor pen is more helpful late game, but if you lose your lane there wont be a late game.

TheOneMillion

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone1852 View Post
ya but ad also helps you out a lot in fights/trades. It also causes your abilities to typically do more damage too, which armor pen does not. i think armor pen is more helpful late game, but if you lose your lane there wont be a late game.
Arpen is USUALLY stronger on abilites that deal Phys damage because the base damage of a spell scales with one thing, Armor Penetration. Of course it also matters how high the AD scaling of the spell is, but usually armor pen still wins out because of base damages. Something like Kha'zix Q is something off the top of my head that would probably scale better with AD because of its insane AD ratio.

A good all around rune set if you want some Arpen would be 6 Arp reds, 3 AD reds, 3 AD quints. This gives a nice mix of 10 arpen and 9.6 AD. Bruisers top lane also usually start with decent base AD because they are melee, so that makes last hitting easier, and increases the effect of Arpen.