Mage junglers?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YT Kevfactor

01-14-2014

Mages are my fav class to play but mid is always taken. so i can get off support at least a little, just curious if there are any good ones for jungling. I got Elise and fiddle but i dont really like how either play that well.

OdiousMole

01-14-2014

fiddlesticks is possible the most common wizard jungler. idk there are probably some others. i guess syndra can borderline unsucessfully jungle. fizz can kind of jungle

Hiryuu16

01-14-2014

Diana and Gragas are rarer, but viable junglers. Elise and Evelyn are also AP junglers, but they are rare mid picks.

Damned Scholar

01-15-2014

The reason why there aren't that many mages who can jungle is that most are ranged, and most ranged champs are extremely squishy. The notable, perennial exceptions are the melee mage-tanks (Amumu, Cho'Gath, Maokai, and more recently Gragas). These champs are all very durable, so the first clear is much less rough for them. Other mages have to rely on their ability to kill monsters faster than the monsters can kill them. Diana, Evelynn, and Elise are all strong duelists with a good mix of AoE and single-target damage. Fiddlesticks heals crazily and Drain has a ridiculously high DPS if it's not interrupted. Other, more fringe picks like Karthus, Karma, Twisted Fate, Morgana, Malzahar, Cassiopeia, Heimerdinger, Katarina, and Zyra can work, but they're all significantly more challenging in the jungle than in lane, so you have to be good with Karma before you try jungle Karma.

Before you try any new champion in the jungle, do a run-through in a custom game by yourself. If they can't clear both buffs and a third camp on their own, don't jungle with them. Leashing is standard fare these days, but you don't want to pick a jungler who will die to the Ancient Golem if you happen to get a sub-par leash.

MurOllavan

01-15-2014

Can't Brand and Karthus jungle?

Dissith Bullets

01-15-2014

Have you tried cho'gath or zac?

LegendaryLemur

01-15-2014

karthus i can believe. brand??

cho can i should think. i know he has mage in his role list, but he's really more of a tank, as is zac.

drewba

01-15-2014

Syndra, Brand, Gragas, Diana are all great.

LegendaryLemur

01-15-2014

what is the cooldown on w? i don't see how brand can do anything more than take the buffs and his ganks are mediocre (he has to land his q after his e to be effective and has to get quite close to use e in the first place)

and he would get horribly counterjungled by anyone with a gap closer or really by just about anyone

drewba

01-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryLemur View Post
what is the cooldown on w? i don't see how brand can do anything more than take the buffs and his ganks are mediocre (he has to land his q after his e to be effective and has to get quite close to use e in the first place)

and he would get horribly counterjungled by anyone with a gap closer or really by just about anyone
hey lemur

The cooldown on W is 10 seconds - honestly at level 3 all of his cooldowns are 8-12 seconds (ignoring masteries) so you do NEED to land your W>Q or E>Q (having blue buff will help your cooldowns obv). If you're good with Elise, you'll do fine with Brand because her cocoon has nearly the same projectile speed as Brand's Q.

I've only played Brand in the jungle a handful of times but 100% of the time a level 2 gank at mid gets a kill or flash. His clear speed is top tier so you will arrive to lane earlier than your enemy expects which often gives you a ganking advantage. You're right though, he is easy to counterjungle, gets shutdown by CC and is pretty squishy. He's completely a situational pick