Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Game][Major] Cannot chat while in shop.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hexenir

11-18-2012

Quote:
Riot Reinboom:
Chat provided conflicting issues with the new feature, as pointed out already.

The chat conflicting with item shop is something I have my eyes already. I'll be investigating how feasible it is to make something much more intelligent in use, but I can't really promise anything on release here.

For something simpler for now, what would your opinions on leaving chat to enter key and hijacking space bar while the shop is up to reach the search quickly?

I also don't like this idea. Not being able to search with enter feels frustrating and reaching something with space bar sounds weird/counter-intuitive. Clicking the shop tab to set focus and anywhere else to unfocus (is that a word?) sounds good.

huh, if "for now" means "while we don't make it better", then I guess it's ok. Anything to make it work.

Sambrosia

11-18-2012

Quote:
Riot Reinboom:

The chat conflicting with item shop is something I have my eyes already. I'll be investigating how feasible it is to make something much more intelligent in use, but I can't really promise anything on release here.

For something simpler for now, what would your opinions on leaving chat to enter key and hijacking space bar while the shop is up to reach the search quickly?

I agree with the previous two posters. I often use space to recenter my camera while I am in shop (a feature which is currently not working.)

I don't have a huge need to chat with shop open though. I hope you find a reasonable solution.

The Star of Hope

Recruiter

11-18-2012

Quote:
Riot Reinboom:

I think space would be unintuative, but what about having any alphabetic key start typing in search? Admitedly you'd have to move anything these keys were already being used for in the shop (perhaps to numeric or f-keys), but since you don't want to cast spells in the shop there shouldn't be too many conflicts.

Talamare

11-18-2012

Quote:
Riot Reinboom:

Never hijack the spacebar

Nip the Zephyr

11-18-2012

Whatever you decide to do, chat should take priority over shop. Could mean a teammates death if you aren't able to warn them in time.

Scyfria

11-18-2012

What about adding a configurable shortcut (e.g. Ctrl+F) to quickly open the shop and go directly into search mode? Then make this also the search shortcut if the shop window is already open.

A few possible scenarios:

1. (Shop closed)
2. P
3. (Shop open in non-search mode)

1. (Shop closed)
2. Ctrl+F
3. (Shop open in search mode)

1. (Shop closed)
2. P
3. (Shop open in non-search mode)
4. Ctrl+F
5. (Search mode)

JustiN 90

11-19-2012

Quote:
Amariithynar:
Personally, that sounds really bad. Just have it require a click to set focus to the shop to type every time.

I agree.

CooLTanG

Recruiter

11-19-2012

can't believe people would consider this a Major Bug lol

AdamGede

11-19-2012

There's always going to be some conflicts in one manner or another - take abilities, for example. You can't use the QWER abilities while the shop is open. Is this a bug, or just a prioritizing feature? I sometimes want to use an ability to get a speed boost and start leaving the base while I'm finalizing that purchase - you know - to get back out to the battle quickly. But because of the prioritizing, I have to purchase, then close the shop, THEN use the ability.

I'm sure some people would complain that it's a bug, but what sort of repercussions would come from allowing the chat or abilities while in the shop? There would probably be some issues with searching for items, etc.

That being said, the idea of clicking on the shop UI to put focus on it and allowing chat / abilities up until that point could possibly work. However, since I don't have knowledge of the inner workings of the code, I really don't know how that would affect the rest of the aspects of the shopping experience. Having worked in Software Development for many years, I've seen plenty of examples of adding a new "feature" introduce multiple bugs elsewhere.

Caveat emptor - and be careful what you wish for!