I want to design champions for LoL!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nanatsu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

Can you move this to the proper forum I know that Reds rarely visit the Champion Concept but still it exists for a reason and who knows your posts might get a Red post and make it more popular.

Chiquihuite

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

What's your expectation for Mach's Ultimate? Do you have to have your team set it up for you?

A 3 second wind-up followed by a linear missile seems like it'd be even harder to hit than Pantheon's ult.

Since you mentioned Fiddle, one of the nice things about his ult is that it has some granularity on the risk/reward. He can move freely while the storm is active, so even if he misses his mark on the initial cast, he can still run/flash up and do some meaningful damage. Even Pantheon gets some portion of the damage if he doesn't manage a direct hit.

With that in mind, do you think Mach's ult should also offer the possibility of an indirect hit?

CaptainMårvelous

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiquihuite View Post
What's your expectation for Mach's Ultimate? Do you have to have your team set it up for you?

A 3 second wind-up followed by a linear missile seems like it'd be even harder to hit than Pantheon's ult.

Since you mentioned Fiddle, one of the nice things about his ult is that it has some granularity on the risk/reward. He can move freely while the storm is active, so even if he misses his mark on the initial cast, he can still run/flash up and do some meaningful damage. Even Pantheon gets some portion of the damage if he doesn't manage a direct hit.

With that in mind, do you think Mach's ult should also offer the possibility of an indirect hit?
Mach's ult would be akin to Ashe's arrow- A far distant projectile (Only it's him, not a projectile) that can travel across the entire map. While it'd be hard to hit with as Ashe's arrow can be from long ranges, his ultimate is both global as well as damaging if it hits. While Mach can miss his mark and not get Buster Crisis, he will STILL be there and be able to deal damage.

It's part of the reason why things like Pantheon's Ult and TF's ult were changed: It's not the damage that makes it scary, it's turning a 2v2 into a 2v3. The main reason why there is a wind-up is because for an escape tool, it's extremely strong. Linear dash across ALL of SR without any wind-up? Yeah, that's no good.

CaptainMårvelous

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanatsu View Post
Can you move this to the proper forum I know that Reds rarely visit the Champion Concept but still it exists for a reason and who knows your posts might get a Red post and make it more popular.
I'm trying, more so, to get Riot to notice this and provoke some thoughtful discussion. Don't have a degree or anything but I can still get some notification!

ninjabob321

11-18-2012

There a forum specifically for this stuff

Chiquihuite

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptanMarvelous View Post
Mach's ult would be akin to Ashe's arrow- A far distant projectile (Only it's him, not a projectile) that can travel across the entire map.
Ahh ok. I didn't understand from the description that it was global

CaptainMårvelous

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabob321 View Post
There a forum specifically for this stuff
That may be, but keep in mind people have done the same thing and been met without any sort of forum move/criticism.

CaptainMårvelous

11-20-2012

Considering how slow things are going so far, I've decided to add another champion to the list! I've also added a new section (Playstyle) to give you a better sense of what I want to accomplish with the kit in terms of feeling. A few days ago I gave you guys my take on an AD melee...so this time I'll be giving you my idea on a ranged carry. Here's giving a warm welcome to...

Hemsworth, The Gentlemanly Hunter

LORE:

Within Runeterra there exists an elite guild of hunters and trappers, gentlemen and women who thrive on their love of chasing elusive game and sharing exploits with fellow hunters. None exemplify this combination of class and combat more than Hemsworth Silvers. One would never expect this tall, lanky and refined man to be a hunter...yet one look into his trophy wall would tell you otherwise.

Up until recently, Hemsworth lacked good game to hunt. Traveling across all of Valoren yielded only moderate challange...until one day he was struck with an epiphany: Why not join the league of legends? Not only was the competition stiff but it did something no other hunting could offer prey that returned from the dead. With rifle in tow and his hunting companion at his side, Hemsworth joins the league for a safari that will never grow old!

"Despite his....formal...nature, Hemsworth lusts for blood just as much as I do." -Rengar

As fun as Rengar is, I noticed that league was really lacking a 'gentleman' hunter of sorts. The kind of archtype that thrives on challenge but never strikes you as a bully or a ruffian. Hemsworth is a gentleman first and a hunter second, just as liable to invite you to tea as he is to set a trap and bag you for his wall!

PLAY STYLE
Above all AD carries, I look to Draven and Vayne as the pinnacle of design. The perfect amount of risk for the perfect amount of reward. Played right he can pump out more damage than any other while he can just as easily be played wrong. Hemsworth is a character who I wanted to add more of that high skill/high reward gameplay that Draven exemplifies while also adding some ground level stuff so that even a new player can find easy in Hemsworth.

Hemsworth, overall, would be similar to Vayne in terms of durability. Extremely thin and able to be taken down in the span of one stun late game. While he wouldn't have the same damage as her, however, he'd more so be about utility and setting up kills as opposed to "ultimate, go in, kill kill kill".

MOVE LIST

Passive- Scrambles the Wolf: Hemsworth's hunting companion assists him in combat or can be used to scout areas within Hemsworth's range. Killing Scrambles will send Hemsworth into a rage, increasing damage and attack speed for a few seconds. Scrambles respawns after a short time and will act as if Hemsworth is attacking the target.

Hemsworth's wolf serves two purposes: One is to make the hunter archtype we have yet to see while two is serving as a spell mechanic (Which will be seen in his ultimate). Those who fear that this gives Hemsworth a free ward/free turret harass will be happy to know that design-wise, Hemsworth's range would be a bit shorter (525 or so). Scrambles cannot go out of that range and as such, he cannot scout too far. Likewise, attacking under a turret with Scrambles will instead cause it to fire on Hemsworth OR will quickly result in a dead Scrambles. This also raises a question for the enemy: Let Hemsworth keep the pet and deal with the minor damage OR kill him and proc the enrage? It's a magnificent case of how one wishes to deal with a champion in a variety of ways.

Scrambles would be controlled like other 'pets' (LeBlanc's passive, Morde's Ghost, Tibbers) with the Alt key and clicking. If not controlled, Scrambles will simply attack whichever target Hemsworth is currently assaulting. Hemsworth's enrage will also last only a few seconds: He'd be left gimped despite having that boost to his damage and attack speed (Which will increase late game to better reflect how important Hemsworth ultimate is to a fight)

Q- Lay prone: Hemsworth hunkers himself to the ground, gaining both range and damage while laying in place (Similar to Xerath's Locus). If Hemsworth doesn't attack for three seconds while prone he will gain camouflage (turn invisible) until firing again. This lasts a few seconds and can be canceled early.

Like a normal hunter, Hemsworth can disguise himself on the ground for a little bit of range. The idea with this skill is once more offer a risk-reward mechanic: Is it safe to lay down and harass or is their jungler waiting for me? It also adds to the wolf mechanic as killing the wolf means that you'll have no idea where Hemsworth is yet Hemsworth can ALSO set up trickery with the wolf-camo combo. Go prone, have the dog run off to throw them off your trail.

One thing you also may notice about this skill is that a range increase buffs the range at which Scrambles can go. Just another factor that ties Hemsworth's kit together without being too blatantly obvious, separating smarter players who can see this ("Oh wow more harass/better misleading") vs. people who just use the wolf for free damage.

W- Log Trap: Hemsworth lays down a tripwire horizontally (Similar to Karthus wall). An enemy who trips this wire will cause the log to swing forward, knocking them and anyone in their range back. (The log's length increases with level and lasts for one minutes. Only one can be out at a time.)

In terms of survivability, AD carries usually need something to get people off of their position (Or knock them to him if Hemsworth is confident). While Hemsworth's W seems powerful, you have to keeping in mind that:
A.) It's length increases per level, meaning that unless champions are extremely bunched up you won't hit many early-game. Along with that, you also have to put points into it if you REALLY want it to be a whole team displacer.
B.) Like Karthus's wall, the enemy has to walk through it. Set it too far forward? They can side-step it.
C.) The biggest note is that an enemy -can use this skill to their benefit-. Say an enemy is chasing Hemsworth and he sets his trap. The enemy can loop around and trigger the trap in the other direction, knocking him TOWARD Hemsworth!

E- Tranquilizers: Hemsworth passively gains a slow, stacking every shot. At five stacks the enemy is knocked out for one second.

Similar to Vayne's silver bolts, Hemsworth's E provides him a little bit of CC (The slow will be low so that, as it stacks, you'll feel the effect of being constantly pegged) and a stun if he continues to hit the same target. The slow would be minimal with only one bullet per target so that while he can chase, it won't be the same as being hit with an Ashe arrow where you're so slowed that she can constantly reapply it. Ideally, at max rank, each bullet would be around 5% slow at one bullet, max slow being 20%. And that's if Hemsworth lands all four shots without losing the effect.

The bullets would also rapidly decay, meaning Hemsworth will have to invest in attack speed -greatly- to get the stone on more than one target. Along with this, you'd also be able to both apply slow at range with prone -OR- constantly slow from range until you get the stun for his ultimate. Speaking of...

R- "Take them down!": Passively Scrambles grows in size, gaining damage, health and resistance to AoE effects. When activated, Scrambles leaps upon a target, slowing them for three seconds as he assaults their leg. If the target is stunned BY TRANQUILIZER, the stun turns into a suppress.

Hemsworth ultimate is another skill I want to use to showcase how a good player will be separated by a bad one/decent one. While many players may simply use the ultimate for the slow to pin them in place (And then proc the stun), great players will hunt down their target, close in for the kill with the stun and THEN use the ultimate. However, this sets Hemsworth at risk. He can only use this on one target and if he does not proc his stun, it will simply be a damaging slow. Along with that Hemsworth has a short window to use his ultimate, meaning you can just stun, walk around for the proper position and THEN ult.

Furthermore, this requires that Scrambles is alive. Killing his wolf (While it -will- proc the enrage) cuts Hemsworth off from his ultimate and a lot of his hard CC power. It all depends on how confident that giving Hemsworth the enrage will be more valuable than having his ultimate available.

Overall Hemsworth's kit is designed for a carry where you are rewarded for setting traps, taking opponents by surprise and properly timing your skills to get the maximum benefit.

SAMPLE QUOTES
Upon Selection- "Tallyho!"

Movement
"Come Scrambles, we have work to do!"
"Right Right."
"Hm. Yes. Buh-ha."

Attacking
"That will certainly be a challenge, summoner!"
"Prey has been marked. Go on Scrambles!"
"Hopefully this won't be too easy."

Taunt- "I dare say chap, it appears you're dead. I hope we've learned out lesson? That won't happen again, right?"
Joke- "Always be sure to plan your next move car-" *Scrambles grabs Hemsworth's gun, running around him in circles* "Get back here you mutt! No dinner tonight!"

Killing Scrambles
"YOU GUTLESS SON OF A WENCH!"
"WHAT MANNER OF BARBARIAN ATTACKS ANOTHER MAN'S COMPANION!?"
"THE NERVE OF YOU ALL!"
"SCRAMBLES! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

The quotes here aim to push Hemsworth's personality as a man who seeks less to win and more the thrill of the hunt. He doesn't want to win, he just wants to have a good time. Of course even a gentleman has his limits and it is more than possible to provoke Hemsworth into a rage. Yet above all else, he's a likeable fellow through and through.

That's my take on an AD Carry. I'll probably be adding another champion on Thanksgiving so stay tuned!

CaptainMårvelous

11-21-2012

Bump. I edited Mach a bit and gave him a passive that was more reflective of an AD carry than a bruiser.

CaptainMårvelous

11-22-2012

Thanksgiving bump!