@Ironstylus: has anyone ever rejected your concept art ideas and told you to redo em?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Akesgeroth

11-18-2012

Quote:
It can be a bummer when something gets scrapped (see Omen) but usually it's for a good reason. (see Omen)
Actually, we have no clue what that means because to my knowledge, you guys never elaborated on what was wrong with Omen beyond "We weren't happy with him".

Rushuna Tendo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Karma will get a visual rework, but it's going to be a but different. I can't elaborate on that but it will be something I think will be very welcome. I've worked on her visual rework in a bunch of capacities.
The Almighty Iron stylus has touched my karma? By the sun god...... we shall see what master piece comes our way

Daemon

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akesgeroth View Post
Actually, we have no clue what that means because to my knowledge, you guys never elaborated on what was wrong with Omen beyond "We weren't happy with him".
He looked like a generic monster you would kill in an MMO or a minion of a bad guy in a book or TV show. (heck, Omen looks like the new spirit monster mooks (note: not the main bad guy, merely a mook) in season two of Legend of Korra!)

You don't have any attachment to those generic monsters you grind, so why would you have some sort of connection with Omen? Unlike Cho or Kog, they have some sort of opposing form.

thenewzero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

Quote:
Karma will get a visual rework, but it's going to be a but different. I can't elaborate on that but it will be something I think will be very welcome. I've worked on her visual rework in a bunch of capacities.
Really glad to hear you are going to have influence on her visual rework. I love the characters you've done. Karma is one of my favorite champions (possibly my favorite in concept). I can't wait to see what you guys do with her.

Angry Penguin

11-18-2012

While you are here IS, I have been wondering for a long time, who did the models for the jungle camps as well as who does/ did the holiday creeps.

last but not least, who is the man/woman that I can give a great big bear hug to for putting a hat on Baron every holiday season?

Super Explosion

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
I agree.
Okay, she's all-powerful. Except she feels weak. Even if she had awesome ratios and was the most OP champion ever, she still feels weak. When I play Diana, Ahri, Brand, Swain, etc. I feel like I am a powerful being (despite the aforementioned champions ranging from viable to unviable.)

I don't know what it is about her, but I don't feel that power she supposedly has with her character. Maybe it is because she is so reliant on her spheres that it seems like her spheres are the only things giving her power (instead of coming out of her hands or some magical weapon like the aforementioned champs.) They randomly float around her. Okay. It's not like Ahri who harnesses her sphere in her hand and manipulates it quite visually.
The feeling of power for champions can tend to come from a 'secure' sensation in your ability to handle situations.

The variety of tactics you can employ directly impacts feelings of capability.

So champions like Brand or Vayne feel very powerful, because they can use all of their abilities to great effect in nearly any situation.

And based upon the skill of the player, they receive bonus effects, that are not required for baseline function.

Vayne's awareness of walls gives her an added stun. Brand's choice of cast order gives him things.

Vayne doesn't need a wall though. And Brand doesn't need a particular order.

Syndra does.

Hence she feels weaker. She has added requirements.

JustAGhost

11-18-2012

Quote:
Graves for example started by looking a lot like Gene from Outlaw Star actually. I know, odd angle to come at it from, but hey, that's where it started.

I also took cues from a lot of different influences such as the anime Claymore to find an unconventional archetype to latch onto.
You are my new favorite red.
Never change.

LouisLeGros

11-18-2012

Quote:
All the time. The number of champions I've designed that aren't in the game that I have concepts sitting around for outnumber those that did make it into the game. Not to mention all the concept work and iteration that lead up to the final design which may diverge heavily from the original sketched. Graves for example started by looking a lot like Gene from Outlaw Star actually. I know, odd angle to come at it from, but hey, that's where it started.

I've shown in cases like Diana that the concept can diverge pretty heavilly, like this:

http://ironstylus.blogspot.com/2012/...oon-rises.html

In the case of Diana, she very much started as just sort of lame chick-with-big-sword, not much else. It wasn't until I shopped the idea around a lot, and got a lot of feedback, from Morello especially, that I figured out a decent hook for her. I also took cues from a lot of different influences such as the anime Claymore to find an unconventional archetype to latch onto.

Many times concepts start out differently and end up completely tangential. An upcoming champion I worked on was initially ideated to be melee, but halfway through the process we decided to make the character ranged. That and a whole other host of variables can change the outcome of a concept.

Sometimes those variables end up in making the concept not viable. Varrus was a good case of this. I started working on him way back in the day when we had this idea for a "Demonic Hunter" of sorts. We ended up scrapping the idea for the demonic thing and went with "corrupted". I actually stopped working on it at that point and another artist picked it up. He ended up taking it in a different direction which I think worked.

I doubt I'll ever get to show all the stuff I've done that hasn't made it into the game, champions and skins alike, because who knows, they might end up getting used in some way later on.

It can be a bummer when something gets scrapped (see Omen) but usually it's for a good reason. (see Omen) I of course want things that I work on make it into the game, but when something isn't working for one reason or another it's often beyond my control.

But that's the nature of development. Luckily I think that what I've done for characters that did make it in ended up being of good quality because of how much thought multiple people put into it during each character's creation. Sometimes it's a one shot one kill, other times it's a lot of iteration and change. I've definitely seen both sides of it, as pretty much everyone at Riot has =)
How dare you call the October 2011 Diana sketch "a lame-chick." Awesome armor + cool hair =/= lame

ಠ_ಠ

DarkriderSejuani

11-18-2012

Quote:
So, are we talking Sona-size here? Or Elise? Maybe smaller like Miss Fortune? Because it's pretty apparent why she's getting a visual rework when she looks perfectly fine, especially her Sun Goddess skin.
Don't worry if the number of complaints about female's appearances in the last weeks haven't been enough, they're gonna skyrocket once this visual rework is released.
Don't say you won't be massively increasing her chest size. It was done when Kayle had her visual rework. Went from Samus ( Is Kayle a boy or girl?) to "Wow look at the size of that breast armour"

(Seriously, why is she even getting a visual rework? She doesn't look bad, and compared to older champs such as Yi, she's absolutely fine and this time could've been better spent on improving those champs.)

JustAGhost

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveris View Post
So, are we talking Sona-size here? Or Elise? Maybe smaller like Miss Fortune? Because it's pretty apparent why she's getting a visual rework when she looks perfectly fine, especially her Sun Goddess skin.
Don't worry if the number of complaints about female's appearances in the last weeks haven't been enough, they're gonna skyrocket once this visual rework is released.
Don't say you won't be massively increasing her chest size. It was done when Kayle had her visual rework. Went from Samus ( Is Kayle a boy or girl?) to "Wow look at the size of that breast armour"

(Seriously, why is she even getting a visual rework? She doesn't look bad, and compared to older champs such as Yi, she's absolutely fine and this time could've been better spent on improving those champs.)
Presumptuous much?