@Ironstylus: has anyone ever rejected your concept art ideas and told you to redo em?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Omegafilter

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
finding the "secret sauce" =)
Now is this "sauce" usable on bagels?

Gixia

11-18-2012

Quote:
Diana was an excellent learning experience and I think helped teach us all how collaboration helps so very much in finding the "secret sauce" =)
While I'd agree that Diana's finalized art is mostly superior to her concept art, I've gotta say, I prefer her concept art hair. But then, I am an absolute sucker for asymetrical, one-eye covered hairstyles.

Jamadman

11-18-2012

I'd be curious to see what kind of concept art you would draw IronStylus, based on some ones summoner name.

Eph289

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

Quote:
I'll see what I can throw up, be warned, it's really really bad =/

I'm not sure what constitues a good idea. It's not really an equation. It's more of a feeling when all the pieces put together. We sort of measure it simply in fun and if the champion feels like a character that tells a story, that stands out from other characters in similar media.

Specifically in how I work, how I judge whether the community or the player is going to like it is by doing a lot of what I do now, solicit feedback and learn from the input I recieve. I judge my work mainly by, in the words of Morello, does it sell the fantasy? Again, in the case of Diana, we're trying to sell emotionally detached killer heretic who is imbued with the celestial might of the moon. I think in the visuals we communicated that in the sharp crescents designed into her. We made her gameplay feel self-immolating and vicious, we made her story one of tragedy. I think so long as we hit on those points and reflected the fantasy in all three areas, we're going to hit the right note.

In terms of Syndra, I think that's more of an opportunity thing, something again, that we've learned from. We made a cool evil floating lady with a head dress and giant black... spheres. It ended up as more of a costume change in it's overall design rather than an extremely unique character. Sometimes that happens. I think all we do is learn from that and make sure we take bigger leaps in experimentation rather than playing it conservative with "hot chick in tight costume" thing.

Karma will get a visual rework, but it's going to be a but different. I can't elaborate on that but it will be something I think will be very welcome. I've worked on her visual rework in a bunch of capacities.
Speaking of scrapped stuff, what happened to that picture of a sniper chick sitting on a ledge that used to be on your old site?

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

11-18-2012
9 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixia View Post
While I'd agree that Diana's finalized art is mostly superior to her concept art, I've gotta say, I prefer her concept art hair. But then, I am an absolute sucker for asymetrical, one-eye covered hairstyles.
We've got you covered in short-haired females in future patches.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

11-18-2012
10 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph289 View Post
Speaking of scrapped stuff, what happened to that picture of a sniper chick sitting on a ledge that used to be on your old site?
Wow, you have a reaaaally good memory. It's in the depths of my hard drive somewhere.. but actually.. huh, come to think of it that image may have influenced me in some regard.

Esa

11-18-2012

Quote:
We've got you covered in short-haired females in future patches.
i love you

Séjuani

11-18-2012

Iron Stolos i sunt you a pretty pichur on faecbook but you didnt look at it and dat makes me sad. so heers it again. its you and leena with bob ross making magic fu ntime.

TheUltimate3

11-18-2012

Quote:
Karma will get a visual rework, but it's going to be a but different. I can't elaborate on that but it will be something I think will be very welcome. I've worked on her visual rework in a bunch of capacities.
Relevant to my interests.

Whelk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBOT9001 View Post
Iron Stolos i sunt you a pretty pichur on faecbook but you didnt look at it and dat makes me sad. so heers it again. its you and leena with bob ross making magic fu ntime.
I'm... I'm not sure what to think about this.