@Ironstylus: has anyone ever rejected your concept art ideas and told you to redo em?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aramusha

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

I'm not sure if this question was asked but here goes! With the remake of Karma's kit your going to roll in this with a visual upgrade as well, you had this planned for Eve and Twitch's remake as well. How does Riot prioritize things like that? Karma gets the remake and her visual upgrade, while much older champs like Twitch/Eve get a remake but not their promised visual upgrades bundled with it?

Tortferngatr

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Yeah, the original concept of Diana was neat, but was it anything special? Would that design stand the test of time? Does it tell a story? I don't think so. I learned a lot during that process, especially since that even if it's a cool piece of art, it doesn't mean that will make up for lack of story.

I think Diana tells a story in her final concept. I think the original was just that, 'good', not great, and definitely not as memorable as she came out in the end.
I agree--while I still like the original concept art, Diana's final design feels a good deal more fleshed-out. I couldn't imagine the original design singing a lunar hymn at the login screen like Diana showcased.

Incidentally, that concept art looks almost like a hybrid between Diana and...Fiora, who was certainly released at least three months after October 2011. Once Diana diverged from that original, did you take some of the other elements and incorporate them into Fiora's design?

Quote:
I'll see what I can throw up, be warned, it's really really bad =/

I'm not sure what constitues a good idea. It's not really an equation. It's more of a feeling when all the pieces put together. We sort of measure it simply in fun and if the champion feels like a character that tells a story, that stands out from other characters in similar media.

Specifically in how I work, how I judge whether the community or the player is going to like it is by doing a lot of what I do now, solicit feedback and learn from the input I recieve. I judge my work mainly by, in the words of Morello, does it sell the fantasy? Again, in the case of Diana, we're trying to sell emotionally detached killer heretic who is imbued with the celestial might of the moon. I think in the visuals we communicated that in the sharp crescents designed into her. We made her gameplay feel self-immolating and vicious, we made her story one of tragedy. I think so long as we hit on those points and reflected the fantasy in all three areas, we're going to hit the right note.

In terms of Syndra, I think that's more of an opportunity thing, something again, that we've learned from. We made a cool evil floating lady with a head dress and giant black... spheres. It ended up as more of a costume change in it's overall design rather than an extremely unique character. Sometimes that happens. I think all we do is learn from that and make sure we take bigger leaps in experimentation rather than playing it conservative with "hot chick in tight costume" thing.

Karma will get a visual rework, but it's going to be a but different. I can't elaborate on that but it will be something I think will be very welcome. I've worked on her visual rework in a bunch of capacities.
Could Syndra (and maybe Sejuani, just because the end result would be a bit more badass than she is now...and her lore is pretty badass :P) get a visual "tweak" akin to Dark Valkyrie Diana, then? Just to make her feel more like the champion she should be :P.

MTaur

11-19-2012

Quote:
Karma will get a visual rework, but it's going to be a but different. I can't elaborate on that but it will be something I think will be very welcome. I've worked on her visual rework in a bunch of capacities.
"Different" meaning no cleavage window stopping just short of her happy button?

Rejuvination

11-19-2012

ITT: OMEN WHERe

metalaug

11-19-2012

@IronStylus

Diana is my favorite champ and I think she is popular enough to have a new skin! Here are some ideas:

Lunar Eclipse Diana: This will be an orange and black color scheme with orange hair (as the moon looks orange during a lunar eclipse). Her suit will be made to look like the surface of the moon (scattered dark spots of different sizes). She will still have the moon symbols on her forehead and chest.

Kate Beckinsale in "Underworld" -inspired Diana: skin-tight leather, flowing trench coat, short and edgy hairstyle.

Duke Br0heimer

11-19-2012

I honestly think the original Diana art looks better than the revised one. No offense.

TheBuhdazzla

11-19-2012

I'm glad someone else said it: I do really like the hair better on the original Diana. There's a lack of short-haired females in the game (Ezreal, Riven the only two I can think of), and honestly wouldn't the short hair serve as a better foil to Leona?

Wightraven

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironstylus View Post
graves for example started by looking a lot like gene from outlaw star actually. I know, odd angle to come at it from, but hey, that's where it started.
HNNG.

All of my money.

zliplus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

+1 for mentioning Claymore!

IMTOOJUICY

11-19-2012

Was Morello the major advocate for Headmistress Fiora?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalaug View Post
@IronStylus

Diana is my favorite champ and I think she is popular enough to have a new skin! Here are some ideas:

Kate Beckinsale in "Underworld" -inspired Diana: skin-tight leather, flowing trench coat, short and edgy hairstyle.
that's veering into vayne territory, imho.