I'm being stressed out over my elo.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alright

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

patience...play mid, gank top/bot lane, help the lanes win or get fed from those lanes.

Tarrmayy x

11-19-2012

you will eventually get there

when i first started ranked i was 1300 and eventually dropped to 900 and all the 900 elo games i was sitting thinking i was better then my team etc but really i wasnt.(about 100-200 games played)

eventually i ended up going back to ranked (400games) and i managed to get up to 1100.
from purely playing jungle .. funny because only weeks before that every friend i queued with would say "dont jungle again ever" etc.

so the thing is .. although there is afk/feeds/duoqueue/trolls/people who dont fully understand what the role requires

you will eventually get to the ELO you play out just keep calm ,dont flame (BIG ONE .. GOT ME 2 WEEK BANN LOLOL) and try to stay focused.

Tha Dynamite

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherimp View Post
Ah, yeah, but haven't you heard? If your Elo is crappy right now, you are a horrible player and should feel bad. You didn't deserve your rating last season. Pshh.
Haha. I'm sorry, did I hurt your feelings? Cheer up, buddy. I'm sure you're good at other things. Like taking things out of context and putting words in people's mouths. You'll make a great politician some day!

JRotund

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherimp View Post
20 games, 75% of which I won. Most of which I did quite well in. If I'm REALLY 1200 rated, there would be no way I would win 75% of my matches and make it to 1500 in 20 games.
The thing is that with ELO, 20 games is a tiny sample size. Really who knows if anyone in a season every plays enough games to get to a true ELO. Still sucks, but keep in mind that especially in placement matches ELO can swing huge one way or the other, sometimes pretty arbitrarily.

(and I too was frustrated by a much lower ELO in season 2 compared to season 1.)

Etherimp

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRotund View Post
The thing is that with ELO, 20 games is a tiny sample size. Really who knows if anyone in a season every plays enough games to get to a true ELO. Still sucks, but keep in mind that especially in placement matches ELO can swing huge one way or the other, sometimes pretty arbitrarily.

(and I too was frustrated by a much lower ELO in season 2 compared to season 1.)
Actually...

Assuming my "true" Elo is 1200, for the sake of argument..

I am, according to match making, entering into a situation where I have 50/50 odds of winning/losing in every match I enter, ASSUMING that all players on both sides are equally skilled.

The entire premise of Elo change is that if you have greater skill, on average, you will win more games.

If you have lesser skill, on average, then you will lose more games.

As you increase or decrease your Elo your competition becomes increasingly easier or more difficult depending on which direction you are heading. If you are at your "True" Elo, you should have approximately 50% win ratio at Elo +/- ~100 points.

To give a mathematical example..

Each flip of a coin represents a 50/50 chance of landing on one side or the other..

If you flip a coin 2 times, you have a 25% chance of getting the same result 2x in a row.
If you flip a coin 3 times, you have a 12.5% chance of getting the same result 3x in a row.
4x is 6.25.
5x is 3.125
6x is 1.5625
7x is .78125
8x is .390625

Or, approximately 1 in 255 odds.

My record last season was 12/4.. Assuming 4 of those matches cancel 4 others out, there are 8 remaining matches where I had a 50% chance to win or lose...And I won.

Except, the 50% chance isn't 50% chance as you increase your Elo higher and higher, UNLESS you actually belong at that exact Elo and are fairly matched against equal opponents!

The odds of someone who was actually AT a 1200 Elo skill level winning 8 games in a row and achieving 1500 Elo is so statistically improbable that even with only 16 samples, it is safer to assume that the person in question actually belongs at that Elo than it would be to assume that they simply beat astronomical odds in getting to that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboRal
Haha. I'm sorry, did I hurt your feelings? Cheer up, buddy. I'm sure you're good at other things. Like taking things out of context and putting words in people's mouths. You'll make a great politician some day!
No, Kiddo. You didn't hurt my feelings. Being mediocre at a video game doesn't make you superior, nor does it give you carte blanche to talk down to others. When you grow up and actually achieve something other than a meager 1600 rating in a free video game, then I'll consider taking your cute little superiority complex more to heart. For now, you're just a few pixels on a monitor which can be removed from my life by simply pressing [x].

Talk to me again when you do something meaningful with yourself...