Can you carry with Ahri?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thorston13

11-19-2012

Ahri is my go-to champ as AP mid, she's my best.
But of late i just can't do it anymore (On ranked of course), that hard carry, even if i manage my lane right and gank, i just can't carry.
I know all there is to her skillset.
So i want outside opinion can she carry or am i just too bummed out?

Yourcatmolested

11-19-2012

I'm not sure how well she can carry in higher ranked games, but I've definitely carried with her in unranked games. Her Q+W+Ult=dead

Lethadind

11-19-2012

She's like all AP Mids (Karthus being the exception) in that she falls off late-game. If you manage to *still* be ahead of the enemy ADC by late game then she can carry - this happens most often in lower elo games though, which is why you might be having a problem now.

She carries harder than most APC's late game, though, for several reasons:

1. She does true damage to the entire team - this is the #1 reason. AoE True Damage. I can't think of another champion that does this - though correct me please if I'm wrong. I guess you could count Darius as "AoE True Damage" if you manage to kill your first and second targets.

2. She has 3 AoE abilities for massive team damage.

3. She can both peel for the ADC and punish out of position or escaping enemy champions with her very quick animation charm. She does this from a safe position. She can therefore initiate for the team safely - essentially you can lock down one champion who can't do a damn thing about it once he's focused.

4. Dat Ult. Perfect for cleaning up. Or escaping to protect towers. Plus her Q allows for a difficult enemy team tower push - she can clear an entire minion wave if fed enough, PLUS do damage to the pushing team. She's one of the best APC's to defend a tower solo. There are a few better ones (Gragas I think is better), but she still nails this pretty well.

I don't really think that the "pros" think about these reasons when picking her, they just seem to know that a fed Ahri does more than, say, a fed Fizz or LeBlanc late game through experience and a little theorycrafting, but Ahri is used quite often in high elo.

Assassins fall off harder than mages late game. Ahri seems to be both, and does both roles quite effectively. She can lock down one very specific champion and deal massive damage to them (W damage doubles against one target), so she can still assassinate/gank quite well, but in teamfights her W is doing TRIPLE damage because it's hitting three champions, plus her ult, plus her Q plus her charm to displace an enemy.

The only other mage I can think of that carries harder than Ahri is Kennen (and, again, Karthus). His ult decides teamfights. There are probably a few others, though.