Support Summoner Spells

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Anzila

11-19-2012

I tend towards playing support characters -- at least, that's what I have the most success at. Janna, Lulu, Sona, to a lesser extent characters like Taric and Shen. My summoner spell loadout usually goes Clair/Flash. It also seems like the current trend is for supports to carry exhaust.
Since I'm not going to give up my escape, it seems to go exhaust/flash. Ignoring the decreased map awareness from the loss of Clair, for most of those champs, it seems that exhaust can be a bit of a problem. Yes, it shuts down their ad carry, which is great late game. I've found the range on it, though, usually means I'm putting myself in great danger trying to use it. Most of the time, if we engage on bot, if I move in to use it, I end up dead. Pretty useless for chases, the duration isn't enough to make it useful 90% of the time. So, what am I missing? Is it just so you can match the exhaust that they'll throw on your ad?

Great Pyrenees

11-19-2012

People are Meta trolls and fanboys. Pick the spells you are best with. I personally play support with heal and clarity and I have saved our bot lane from so many deaths and increased our sustain by a humungous ammount. Play what you like, be kind and positive and even if they report you we will find you innocent in the tribunal =).

Jello Puppeh

Recruiter

11-20-2012

Clairvoyance isnt up enough to be of much use anymore. Besides you could just buy wards for vision. And its not useful? Seriously? A slow, a damage reduction and a defense reduction isnt useful? It shuts down the opposing ad carry in every way possible. Cc the enemy then exhaust when cc finishes then burst him down with your carry. Do this when your jungler is ganking and its an easy kill.

And heal clarity is horrible. You have no escapes . the repositioning flash gives you is too much to pass up. Heal is fine but clarity? You want to be a walking mana pot? What happens when you get ganked? Are you going to clarity your way out?

Heres a solution to your mana problem. Learn to manage it properly.

Qsario

11-20-2012

Exhaust is a godsend when they turret dive you. I've gotten double kills as Janna vs. bad divers, not to mention first blood. You can also do the hyper aggressive flash-exhaust combo, just make sure that your ADC can actually make use of it to kill them. With Janna, you can chain that into a monster CC combo:

Flash+exhaust them, get to the far side of them, then R them back towards the team/into a wall (let it channel until they start moving again), then chain W & Q. If your ADC hasn't killed them after all of that, they weren't paying attention. You might want to tell them your plan ahead of time if possible.

And note that depending on positioning, you can flash+monsoon first and use W / exhaust afterwards, especially if they flash right back towards you & their turret.

IdleAltruism

11-20-2012

Bot lane has a few potential optimal summoner combos. First you have to really understand the lane dynamic of AD+support vs AD+support. For the most part, putting the pain on the enemy AD carry is optimal. Supports are, in general, tankier (there are exceptions, like Zyra and Sona, but for the most part this is true). Their runes, masteries, and skills tend to make them much more difficult to kill. This means that in an even engagement the team that focuses the opposing AD carry will win the fight if their opponent focuses the support. This is, fundamentally, the logic behind taking Exhaust. Getting close isn't an issue if you're playing well. If you screw it up you'll eat a ton of harass and might die, but a clean initiation comboed with Exhaust can mean a dead enemy AD carry. It also makes focusing the enemy support a much more generally viable strategy because the AD can be shut down so hard during or after the chase for said support.

Exhaust+flash on support gives a lot of versatility, especially on the more aggressive supports, like Leona, Taric, and Lulu (supports who will regularly be in the enemy's face). It also acts as a counter to such aggression for defensive supports, like Janna and Soraka, and can pretty much end an offensive initiative (you should only use it on the enemy support if absolutely necessary). The slow shouldn't be underestimated, either. It will net more than a few kills. This specific combination is strong with the Ignite and Cleanse on the AD carry because it allows for the safest or most aggressive of combinations.

The other prevalent combo is Flash+Ignite on support, which allows for a lot of aggression,especially when combined with poke or kill comps. This is can, potentially, be a manhandle combo, securing offensive superiority in a lane you believe you should have an advantage in. It also grants the support a secondary source of damage which is very useful at times, especially on the up-close-and-personal supporters, like Leona and Alistar. The AD carry in this situation will often run more defensive summoners, like Flash+Heal or Cleanse.

This will probably all change soon, but as it stands, those are the most popular summoner combos.