How to counter heavy vamp melee

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Predakhan

10-07-2010

I am still a new player and it seems myself and team always have trouble with a melee that has stacked vamp items. Toons like Yi seem impossible to kill when they just gain back the damage you do to them.

I am wondering why the counter to this is? Thornmail? We have tried to ignore Yi first and burn his teammates but that doesn't go well and if we focus them they tend to kill a couple of us then the rest of my team will head for cover.

Thanks for any help.

Pamplemousse

10-07-2010

Ideally, you should save either a stun or exhaust for when Yi dives in and then blow him up. He's pretty squishy but does a ton of damage. If you can stop him from landing hits for a few seconds, you should be able to burn him down pretty easily or at least force him to disengage.

Craixis

10-07-2010

The only way to stop someone with high Melee spell vamp is with a CC or Snare, making it so they can't hit you while you proceed to drop the A bomb on their face...
That being said, each team comp should have one hard CC for such a crazy carry

RedOnesGoFasta

10-07-2010

If he is stacking vamp that means he is not getting ArPen (unless he is very fed, which is another problem). A single chainmail with your natural armor should put you at 50% dmg reduction. Making you live longer and him die faster even without a stun.

Vespr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2010

If your team has no stuns I would suggest a thornmail, it will help get them down faster.

Zephr0us

10-12-2010

use ignite, as it cuts health regeneration and lifesteal by 50%. If you don't want ignite, I would reccomend exocutioner's calling. it's active ablity cuts healing/regeneration by 50% with only a 20 sec cooldown. Just used it against a seemingly unstobbale olaf and he went down in a few seconds. Works like a charm.

Doctor Awesome

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arithas View Post
use ignite, as it cuts health regeneration and lifesteal by 50%. If you don't want ignite, I would reccomend exocutioner's calling. it's active ablity cuts healing/regeneration by 50% with only a 20 sec cooldown. Just used it against a seemingly unstobbale olaf and he went down in a few seconds. Works like a charm.
Lifesteal/spellvamp is not considered a healing effect, so it is not affected by anti-healing abilities, or pro-healing abilities like Spirit Visage. That said, Ignite is always useful against tough targets, as it deals truedamage that ignores Armor/Magic Resist.

Generally, there are two ways to counteract heavy lifesteal:

1) Reduce damage dealt, thereby reducing health restored. This is most easily accomplished by buying Armor, but slowing the enemy's attack speed is also appropriate.

2) Stop the enemy from attacking, via a blind, a stun, or snaring them out of range.

The items I would most recommend are:

Thornmail--just about the most armor for your money, and the passive should all but negate any lifesteal the enemy has, since it returns damage based on the enemy's raw attack damage, which is obviously much higher than the amount of damage you're taking, and higher still than the amount of health they're getting back.

Warden's Mail/Randuin's Omen--also very cost-effective armor, and the passive feature can instantly cripple the enemy by drastically cutting their attack speed. Note that the attack speed penalty is multiplicative, not additive, so the higher their attack speed is, the stronger the debuff. If you get Randuin's, the active is generally considered the single best activated item ability in the game.

Frozen Heart--not appropriate for every character, but offers a huge amount of armor and one of the strongest auras in the game--constant -20% (multiplicative) attack speed reduction is a big kick in the nuts for any physical-based team. If you can make good use of the extra mana and massive cooldown reduction, all the better.

Generally, though, the better option is to avoid having to buy items in the first place by avoiding fights with the melee carry--melee champions are some of the most difficult to use well, but they are generally among the most dangerous when they can do their job. They should be disabled and focus-fired immediately to prevent them from sweeping through your team, particularly Yi because of his Highlander refresh. I hope this was helpful.