[Champion Concept] Betty: The Steel Vulcaneer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mister Squid

11-17-2012

Authors note- As my first real crack at designing a champion I decided to try a concept that I've tried to recreate in nearly every RPG I've ever played; a ranged tank with a big ol' gun. It's a concept I've explored in everything from Dungeons and Dragons to City of Heroes, and don't see any reason why it couldn't work in League of Legends too!

Betty: The Steel Vulcaneer

Appearance: Betty on her own is a short, bookish and very average looking girl in her early twenties. What sets her apart is the MASSIVE suit of power armor she wears (nicknamed Picadilly), which covers her entire body except for her face. He weapon of choice is an enormous rotary vulcan cannon (she calls it Nine-O-Nine), easily larger than she is tall. Personally I imagine her having somewhat of a World War 2 aesthetic, as if she's wearing a bipedal B-17 Flying Fortress.

Attributes: Tank, Ranged, Pusher

Attack Power: 7
Defense Power: 8
Ability Power: 4
Difficulty: 7

Stats

Health: 420 (+90) (420 health at level 1, 1950 at level 18)
Health Regen: 7 (+.9)
Mana: 200 (+50)
Mana Regen: 7.25 (+.65)
Range: 450
Attack Damage: 45 (+2)
Attack Speed: 0.625 (+ .9%)
Armor: 18 (+3.2)
Magic Res: 30 (+1)
Movement Speed: 310

Abilities

Passive: Spinup
Betty's basic attacks spin up her vulcan cannon, giving her a buff that increases her attack speed by 10% (at level 1), 11% (at level 6), 12% (at level 12) every time she attacks. This buff stacks up to ten times, but if Betty goes more than 2 seconds between basic attacks, all the buffs vanish.

Q: Bombshock
Range: 500
Cooldown: 13/12/11/10/9
Cost: 80/90/100/110/120 Mana
Magic Damage: 40/80/120/170/230 (+60% AP)
Knockback Distance: 200
Diameter of AoE: 350
Duration of Immobilization: 1/1.2/1.4/1.6/1.8/2
Active: Betty dashes to a target location and slams one massive fist down, dealing damage, knocking back and immobilizing any champions in the area.

W: Piltover Pulverizer
Range: 950
Cooldown: 16
Cost: 60/65/69/72/74 Mana
Magic Damage: 70/115/170/235/310 (+65% AP)
Slow: 24%/27%/31%/36%/42%
Projectile Speed: 1800
Active: Betty fires a salvo of missiles at a target location, dealing damage over one second to everyone in the area and slowing them for 2 seconds.

E: Bunker Up
Cost: 50 Mana
Cooldown: 10
Upkeep Cost: 5 Mana per second
Armor, Magic Resistance: 20/25/35/55/75
Self Slow: 50%
Toggle: Betty channels for one second and activates her armor's defense mode, shrouding her in armor plates and granting her additional armor and magic resistance. While in defense mode, Betty's movement speed is halved, but any stacks of additional attack speed from Spinup do not expire. Additionally, Betty may move while attacking (right clicking upon an enemy champion while Hunker Down is active will cause Betty to move towards that champion while attacking, right clicking anywhere else will cause Betty to move to that location but she will continue to attack the selected champion until they move out of range). Upon deactivation Betty is immobilized and unable to attack for one second, and all stacks of Spinup are removed.

R: Flak Blaster
Range: 700/850/1000
Cooldown: 110/100/90
Cost: 100/120/140
AoE Radius: 175
Bonus Attack Damage: 15/30/45
Active: For six seconds Betty gains bonus attack range, the number of stacks of spinup she has are set to ten, and her basic attacks do bonus damage to her target and any enemies in an AoE around her target.

Lore-

“Of course you should bring a gun to a knife fight, you should bring a gun to every fight!” -Betty

Betty and Caitlyn have long been close friends, first meeting in grade school and quickly becoming inseperable. But while Caitlyn was always the center of attention, the teachers pet, and the most beautiful girl in school Betty remained bookish, average looking, and more interested in hextech engineering than other people. She didn't mind though, their friendship worked fine, as Betty helped Caitlyn with her homework and Caitlyn ensured that Betty got invited to the best parties, and for a time that seemed to be the way things were going to be. All that changed when Caitlyn stormed into Betty's house one night, declared she had just arrested two men, and needed Betty's help to continue her investigations. Betty was shocked, but agreed to help, and ended up building countless gadgets for Caitlyn to assist her in her quest to clean up Piltover.

At long last Caitlyn announced that she was going to join the League of Legends and bid fairwell to her longtime friend, as Betty settled into her new role as an Engineering Professor at Piltover Technical University. The job proved to be far more boring than she expected, and it was only exacerbated by the countless tales she heard of Caitlyn's victories and glory in the League. Finally, Betty had enough, and locked herself in the engineering wing of the University for weeks, feverishly building all the while. She emerged with a state of the art custom suit of powered armor, along with a colossal vulcan cannon, and to the disbelief of the university staff stomped right into the dean's office, slammed her resignation down on his desk, and lumbered off to pay her old friend a visit and finally get some recognition of her own.

FooTL0ng

11-18-2012

Great concept!! i really like the idea of a tank with ranged auto-attacks, the mini-gun passive and its synergy with her E is really intriguing as well. Seems as though a Frozen Mallet would be a must buy on her from what you've posted.

However I think she may be too damage oriented for a tank, especially in terms of her Ult, which seems to be designed almost exclusively to do a large amount of damage to an entire enemy team. Her Q is also much too powerful, having the implications of Alistar's Pulverize but with a shorter CD, larger AOE, more damage, knockback, longer CC duration, and movement utility of a 500 range dash which can be used to initiate/escape/traverse over terrain.

I would comment more but I'm dead tired at the moment. I do think this is a great idea tho just needs some more work.

Mister Squid

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooTL0ng View Post
Great concept!! i really like the idea of a tank with ranged auto-attacks, the mini-gun passive and its synergy with her E is really intriguing as well. Seems as though a Frozen Mallet would be a must buy on her from what you've posted.

However I think she may be too damage oriented for a tank, especially in terms of her Ult, which seems to be designed almost exclusively to do a large amount of damage to an entire enemy team. Her Q is also much too powerful, having the implications of Alistar's Pulverize but with a shorter CD, larger AOE, more damage, knockback, longer CC duration, and movement utility of a 500 range dash which can be used to initiate/escape/traverse over terrain.

I would comment more but I'm dead tired at the moment. I do think this is a great idea tho just needs some more work.
Thanks for the feedback! Upon looking the stats over, you're right about her Q. The idea was to give her a way to initiate while also putting the enemy right in range of your autoattacks, but it does a little too much. Maybe nerf it down to this:

Q: Bombshock
Range: 600
Cooldown: 17/15/13/11/9
Cost: 80/90/100/110/120 Mana
Magic Damage: 40/80/120/160/200 (+60% AP)
Knockup Time: One second
Active: Betty dashes to a target champion and slams one massive fist down, dealing damage and knocking up the target champion.

As for her ultimate, I did want to do something involving the cannon, seeing as how her entire kit is really based around it, but I will agree it is a little too damage focused for a tank. Maybe change it to something like this:

R: Steel Storm
Range: 600
Cone Width: 90 Degrees
Bonus Range: +150/+300/+450
Cooldown: 110/100/90
Cost: 100/120/140
Knockback Distance: 400/500/600
Active: Betty fires a concussive shell out of her cannon that knocks back any enemies in a cone. For the next six seconds afterwards Betty gains bonus attack range, and the number of stacks of Spinup she has are set to ten and cannot expire.

This way her ultimate is a little more tactical than just a straight up steroid. It allows her to shove enemies away during teamfights or protect teammates from getting ganked, while still involving a moderate buff.

FooTL0ng

11-22-2012

These changes make her feel a lot more like a real champion, keep up the good work.

Had to search the forum for a bit to find your post again, its so easy for threads to get lost in the many pages that make up LoL forums. Sad really, plenty of good ideas and meaningful topics don't get the attention they deserve.