do you have to pay $$ to be good?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Glutting

11-17-2012

Buying RP does not make you better. Assuming you use to it to buy IP boost or champs, It'll only help you obtain IP/Champs faster.

doombotMECHA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

no. you aren't hampering yourself at all. it is impossible to gain ingame power from direct cash.
you'll just spend more time grinding for ip for runes &champs
skins r useless

1BaD8DnA7

11-17-2012

Wow, didnt know how bad mobafire is. Thanks all for the info. Yes, I do want to get better competitively, but as with ranked, people have urged fresh lvl 30s not to even try ranked. Here, I was thinking that for normal games, I should go into them with some fundamentals of the champ I'll be playing.

I've pvp'ed alot in other games and always had a plethora of info laid out to review textbook style as with WOW arena and BGs. I'd spend alot of time( dreads me to now say reading thru the mobafire guides) trying to find the right information.

Glad I asked to stop the bad habit.

HM2

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Want to be good? Get 4 other people, stream, and call yourself a pro team.

There's no regulation for this joke of a "sport".

Buk Lau

11-17-2012

plz dont use mobafire, its quite misleading and is posted by 1500 players. Use solomid.net for guides as they are much more indepth and better.

Cläptrap

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BaD8DnA7 View Post
Been playing for couple months now, hit 30, worked on runes (somewhat), spent points on low cost champs. Got 1 ad and 1 ap rune page but its not optimal... I've got a little over 250 bot wins, 75ish normal game wins. Been trying to use the weekly rotation to get a feel for all the champs. Played AP, AD, Support(love Taric CC), and recently some Bruisers/tanks but no junglers.

Only site I visit is mobafire to get a quick glance at skill selections and the core item builds.

I'm no where near rdy for ranked as I've not spent a whole lot of time perfecting CS'ing and knowing ahead of time what exactly to buy next or when to B.

All this aside, I've not spent any points on a 6300 champ. I haven't spent one real dollar on the game and don't intend to. Am I gimping myself in the longrun by sticking myself in bot games without the 6300 champs and sometimes doing normal games?

I'm still trying to find my niche and it looks like support or a bruiser. Jungling just seems like it would require too much tracking of timers.

Any players on who havent spent one red cent on the game and got a good selection of staple champs you can be really good at the game with?

Also, I probably play 2-5 games a day, if that...
If yo uare only playing a couple games a day yo uare not going to get much IP and unlock any new stuff. On the other hand, it is very understandable if you do not want to spend money on a free game. So it is really up to you....You do not need to buy champs to be better at the game, I suggest using the free week champs to decide whicch champs you like before buying them, that way you know for sure it is a worthy investment. But no, this is not a 'pay2win' type game

Slaytr

11-17-2012

I started in late 2009, and never had a problem keeping up with the champion releases with just IP
Although nowadays i'd imagine it's harder because of the larger champion pool

RamenBLD

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Rustling View Post
Stop playing bot-games. They're good to learn the basics until about level 5, anything after that and you're gimping your learning curve. It's a lot harder to learn to fight players once you're 30.
Actually, I found some bot games more challenging than normals (depending on the matchup). For example, veigar bot always spam perfectly if you make a mistake and get stunned or Lux/Karthus will auto ult if you are low in health and you don't go back to base. They even turret dive when you have full health and bots feel like they have the advantage. There are some normal games where I feel like I'd rather just play bots, as normal games have such a large variance in skills.

DarkChibiman

11-17-2012

I'm curious, why the hate for mobafire?

I'll agree, it's way less tightly-controlled than solomid - which absolutely results in more internet trolls, as hurdles tend to keep them at bay.

But I had a perfectly good learning experience using them only - filter results based on %upvote and number of votes, read the top 2-5 guides and I get a very good guideline when starting with a new champion. I'm getting very familiar with every champion and nuance now, so I haven't been on, but it really helped me help myself many months ago when I was starting out.

1BaD8DnA7

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkChibiman View Post
I'm curious, why the hate for mobafire?

I'll agree, it's way less tightly-controlled than solomid - which absolutely results in more internet trolls, as hurdles tend to keep them at bay.

But I had a perfectly good learning experience using them only - filter results based on %upvote and number of votes, read the top 2-5 guides and I get a very good guideline when starting with a new champion. I'm getting very familiar with every champion and nuance now, so I haven't been on, but it really helped me help myself many months ago when I was starting out.

were you able to compare that info to other sites like solomid to see how much different they are or if solomid is better? I'm going to be going thru this now. I too search for the most upvoted, but if mobafire is only a good beginner step like as in learning from bot games, I'll need to move on and that time is now.