do you have to pay $$ to be good?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vanblod

11-17-2012

6300 champions are in no way inherently better than other champions. Some of the absolute strongest champions are 450 IP, 1050 IP. But if you want to get better, stop playing bots. Normals are where you will learn how to really play the game.

Aevumus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

By the time you are actually able to play in ranked seriously, you should already have several runepage setups and champions. Practice in normal PVP, bot games will never give you the experience you need for ranked.

Skills such as CS'ing and knowing your build are good, but CS'ing against human opponents is a lot different and you should never stick to a set build. You need to be able to adapt on the fly to how your lane is doing, how other lanes are doing, what the other team is building, etc.
And I'm not even going to get into skills such as proper positioning, how and when to engage fights, warding, and just about every other game mechanic you won't learn from bot games.

MadcowDead

11-17-2012

You can't buy skill.

Bolby

11-17-2012

I will tell you this now. Bot games aren't remotely close to a competitive environment. Only time I play them is when I am bored, have little time, or want to screw around.

They are good for learning the game, after that you are crippling your learning curve by playing an excess, if you care to play competitively that is.

UnitedWeStand

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BaD8DnA7 View Post
Been playing for couple months now, hit 30, worked on runes (somewhat), spent points on low cost champs. Got 1 ad and 1 ap rune page but its not optimal... I've got a little over 250 bot wins, 75ish normal game wins. Been trying to use the weekly rotation to get a feel for all the champs. Played AP, AD, Support(love Taric CC), and recently some Bruisers/tanks but no junglers.

Only site I visit is mobafire to get a quick glance at skill selections and the core item builds.

I'm no where near rdy for ranked as I've not spent a whole lot of time perfecting CS'ing and knowing ahead of time what exactly to buy next or when to B.

All this aside, I've not spent any points on a 6300 champ. I haven't spent one real dollar on the game and don't intend to. Am I gimping myself in the longrun by sticking myself in bot games without the 6300 champs and sometimes doing normal games?

I'm still trying to find my niche and it looks like support or a bruiser. Jungling just seems like it would require too much tracking of timers.

Any players on who havent spent one red cent on the game and got a good selection of staple champs you can be really good at the game with?

Also, I probably play 2-5 games a day, if that...
You get like...25% the IP from bot games as you would from normal games so that's your problem

MoonsBane

11-17-2012

Recommended items are trash for all champs.

Mobafire is worse than using Recommended items use solomid.net or LoLPro (solomid has more guides generally).

More expensive champs doesn't mean they're better there are plenty of players who have never spent a dime on this game. Also bot games are BAD. Force yourself to play PVP bot games enforce VERY bad habits and the lack of a proper in depth tutorial on Riot's part doesn't help this either.

Bėst Kat NA

11-17-2012

mobafire is awful, go to solomid.net i only read the first line btw

Tomi

11-17-2012

http://lolcounter.com/ -ok for counters.
http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...f_Legends_Wiki - visit a champion's page to see full breakdowns of said champion's skills, etc.

I'm also with everyone else in stating that you'll be better off in normals than bot games, in terms of IP gains and learning experience.

BearforceOne

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BaD8DnA7 View Post
Only site I visit is mobafire to get a quick glance at skill selections and the core item builds.
Don't use mobafire

Sxq

11-17-2012

You'd have more than enough IP if you didn't do so many bot games. Work on getting runes, that's probably the most important thing.

Spending money shouldn't change anything other than giving you access to more champs - which is not necessarily an advantage.