Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

do you have to pay $$ to be good?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

1BaD8DnA7

11-17-2012

Been playing for couple months now, hit 30, worked on runes (somewhat), spent points on low cost champs. Got 1 ad and 1 ap rune page but its not optimal... I've got a little over 250 bot wins, 75ish normal game wins. Been trying to use the weekly rotation to get a feel for all the champs. Played AP, AD, Support(love Taric CC), and recently some Bruisers/tanks but no junglers.

Only site I visit is mobafire to get a quick glance at skill selections and the core item builds.

I'm no where near rdy for ranked as I've not spent a whole lot of time perfecting CS'ing and knowing ahead of time what exactly to buy next or when to B.

All this aside, I've not spent any points on a 6300 champ. I haven't spent one real dollar on the game and don't intend to. Am I gimping myself in the longrun by sticking myself in bot games without the 6300 champs and sometimes doing normal games?

I'm still trying to find my niche and it looks like support or a bruiser. Jungling just seems like it would require too much tracking of timers.

Any players on who havent spent one red cent on the game and got a good selection of staple champs you can be really good at the game with?

Also, I probably play 2-5 games a day, if that...

Ruinating End

11-17-2012

Only site I visit is mobafire to get a quick glance at skill selections and the core item builds.

Well I will help you here, Use reccomended items over mobafire guides.

Shikab

11-17-2012

Your gimping youself by playing Bot games, just jump straight into a normal game. And you get more IP from normal games too. And the champ question, no, some of the best champs are the cheapest ones, that being said all the new fancy "Cool" ones will cost 6300.

TheSoulPunisher

11-17-2012

Well, I currently have about 60ish champions and 9 full rune pages, all bought with IP and I have been playing for about a year and 3 months or so.

But you really should move on to normal games. Playing bots will give you very little knowledge of the game and mobafire is not too great of a site. What really helps is watching streams and featured games. Solomid.net also helps, but you need to understand the guides.

And 6300 champs are by far not the only "good" champs. There are many lower priced champs you can do good with.

Shikab

11-17-2012

Quote:
Ruinating End:

Well I will help you here, Use reccomended items over mobafire guides.

Go to solomid.net for guides if anything Mobafire is pretty bad, and watch streams of some of the top players, it will help you see what you need to be doing when

ATastyDessert

11-17-2012

Use a site of pro teams like solomid.net or some of the fairly new ones that I don't remember. Don't use MobaFire seriously. There is going to be the rare good guide but that's it.

I only bought RP a few times to buy champs but I don't use most of them anymore. If you plan to buy a champ with IP I would suggest doing so when they are at half off. Since you don't plan to buy RP, I would suggest building up IP first for T3 runes. There are many champs that are good 3150 and lower for IP

Also, if you only play 2-5 games a day and only play bots, you are gimping yourself. I only play 2-5 times a week usually but against real players so i can usually keep sharp.

CommandShockwave

11-17-2012

Stop playing bot-games. They're good to learn the basics until about level 5, anything after that and you're gimping your learning curve. It's a lot harder to learn to fight players once you're 30.

1BaD8DnA7

11-17-2012

From the info, looks like I'll need to replace my quick item look up and skill order selection from mobafire to solomid for when the game is loading. I'm starting to look at some streams from soloking.

Where do people get the info on who counters who and the AP/AD ratio to each skill to know who scales better and who doesnt?

Pawstruck

11-17-2012

It's all about how much time you want to spend. And I'm not talking about time playing necessarily... it's more about time waiting. Since the IP boost is only once a day and every game after that is 1/4 the IP gain, it will take you quite a while if you don't spend money.

The only thing you'll be gimping yourself on is runes. Runes are an IP sink and make a HUGE difference in games. I play a lot--maybe 5-10 games per day--and it usually takes me 2 weeks-ish to get 6300 IP. IMHO, buy about $20 worth of RP and only buy champions that are 975/6300 with the RP when they go on sale. That way, you'll get 4 champs that would have taken you over 2 months (!) to grind for on your own.

TheSoulPunisher

11-17-2012

Quote:
1BaD8DnA7:
From the info, looks like I'll need to replace my quick item look up and skill order selection from mobafire to solomid for when the game is loading. I'm starting to look at some streams from soloking.

Where do people get the info on who counters who and the AP/AD ratio to each skill to know who scales better and who doesnt?

championselect.net and lol wiki