What do you guys think about queue dodge penalties?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ºcº

11-27-2012

I've played my fair share of games, and I'm pretty sure I've seen almost everything so anyways:

I honestly think that banning people for queue dodging is stupid to an extent. The extent being that there are two kind of repeat dodgers, players like me who see turmoil in the lobby, have played through games where they haven't dodged and lost because of it (in ranked this is INCREDIBLY frustrating), and occasionally an emergency pops up and we have to leaves. Then there's the scum that demands things and has no concern for the word "equality" or "fairness," in which I completely understand the ban aspect.

Then there's the time problem, yes, I said problem. Punishment for the one soul who saves 3 other players from being trolled by 1 person? How does this make sense? Now I understand this doesn't happen all the time, but honestly in this circumstance this seems more like a martyr system. One person sacrifices playing for X amount of time in compensation for saving the rest of his team from the horrors of one angst-ridden prepubescent. Not to mention that when they dodge multiple times in one day to save multiple teams, they really don't get the chance to play what they queued/were hoping to play.

I've read solutions to this issue here in the GD, yet I find it disgusting that Riot has yet to do ANYTHING. One of my favorite solutions I've read was allow there to be an "absolve" sort of button in the pregame lobby where if two or more players absolve a player then they are free to dodge without penalty.

Also I realize that normal queue dodging penalty isn't that bad and it's a casual thing, but I've had times where I'm playing then a friend logs in and I really wanted to play with them so I've dodged. Hopefully you guys feel my pain there, if not then think of "elo hell" and the fact it really exists because of the constant feeders and leavers and ragers and trolls moreso than just bad players. If something such as a way to counteract a dodge penalty would be enabled, I believe that "elo hell" would come crashing down into a state of almost nonexistence as well.

TL;DR This game was meant to be fun, why can't I dodge because I know I'm not going to have fun dealing with a troll and then get back to enjoying myself with a team that also wants to have fun?

So my thoughts aside, what do you all think? Am I a complete idiot? Do I have some shimmers of light within my text? What solutions do you guys have if you guys think this is a problem too?

Fat Ninja

11-27-2012

I think it's fine as is.. I mean, it sucks getting trolls in lobbies back to back, but that's why there's ARAM.

ºcº

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSummoner View Post
I think it's fine as is.. I mean, it sucks getting trolls in lobbies back to back, but that's why there's ARAM.
It sucks having to play a full day of ARAM because trolls keep ending up on your team. Then again I suppose that's just bad luck and a sign that one shouldn't queue for what they've been wanting to, but at the same time this game is supposed to be fun. So why can't I just dodge and hopefully have better luck and get to enjoy myself in what I queued for in the first place?

xStrawberryKitty

11-27-2012

If you can't wait an extra 4 seconds to be put into another match then you shouldn't be playing a game that can take 30 minutes+.
In my opinion I think it's stupid. You already get a punishment, you have to wait 5 minutes for leaving.
If anything there should be a kick feature so you don't end up with the ******* that make you want to dodge. Or you shouldn't be placed into matches with people who are in a premade while you're solo....
I've never played ranked, just for normal matches.

ºcº

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchigoKitty View Post
If you can't wait an extra 4 seconds to be put into another match then you shouldn't be playing a game that can take 30 minutes+.
In my opinion I think it's stupid. You already get a punishment, you have to wait 5 minutes for leaving.
If anything there should be a kick feature so you don't end up with the ******* that make you want to dodge. Or you shouldn't be placed into matches with people who are in a premade while you're solo....
I've never played ranked, just for normal matches.
I was referring to people who leave a lobby rather than people who decline the invite to the lobby. My apologies if that was confusing, and also, there is no penalty for the queue dodge you initially refer to.

ºcº

11-27-2012

This is going to be my single bump because I strongly believe this is an issue with the game in which the community should beckon for change.

xStrawberryKitty

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by c View Post
I was referring to people who leave a lobby rather than people who decline the invite to the lobby. My apologies if that was confusing, and also, there is no penalty for the queue dodge you initially refer to.
There is in normal matches. :S
You leave the lobby (say your friend is on or something), you get a message saying you gotta wait 5 minutes before going again.
Unless I'm just stupid and thinking of something totally different. Which it might be.

milllo

11-27-2012

I think this is a failing of the time based penalty system.

If riot went back to the elo loss system, and made it such that the elo loss from dodging was greater than any elo loss from losing, there would be faaaaar fewer dodges and people would be more likely to try and compromise and play together.

Nerfing the dodge penalty caused more problems than it fixed.

Poro Support

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchigoKitty View Post
There is in normal matches. :S
You leave the lobby (say your friend is on or something), you get a message saying you gotta wait 5 minutes before going again.
Unless I'm just stupid and thinking of something totally different. Which it might be.
No you're right. It's worse for ranked - 30 minute wait timer. That's why a lot of people are upset.