Hey LoL Feminists, Take a seat

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

evelastina

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastBox View Post
Women don't even wear practical clothing IRL. *cough*high heels*cough*

*dies laughing, leaves account to orphanage*
most women arent fighting for their lives in arenas irl either

Rachel

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
I was actually on the "zomg Riot oversexualised" side with Elise when I first saw her art; it wasn't too unreasonable, we heard about this elegant, regal Spider Queen and got a pin-up in a spider costume. Then we got her model, and her ingame stuff, and her new art, and a new spin on what she did - namely that she was the high priestess of a cult. And let's be honest here, there's probably no vows of chastity being spread around.

Then she released - voiceover was amazing, but Dead or Alive boobs agh! Didn't rush out to create a thread for it, but I did facepalm and go "really Riot, really?" The thing that rustles my jimmies in champion design is when sexy is just tacked on because it can be. It's tacky! Elise is absolutely fine without bizarre breast physics. Why did they feel the need to include it?
Perhaps they didn't need to include it...but I honestly --well actually. When I first saw her splash I was like "Really riot?" after a giant thread like this and Iron Stylus saying he was actively trying to change the way things were done I kind of expected a Diana type release (fully covered, no heels on her boots).

But upon closer inspection and really thinking about Elise, I just think it really really fits her. Especially with her monologue about the shadow isles, I just thought, wow, perfect.

10acity

11-17-2012

http://www.feministfrequency.com/201...traw-feminist/

This is a great educational video. Thank the summoner who posted this earlier on this thread.

Rachel

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10acity View Post
http://www.feministfrequency.com/201...traw-feminist/

This is a great educational video. Thank the summoner who posted this earlier on this thread.
Pretty sure it was a Rioter too

KatuXiK

11-17-2012

Well, I'm way to lazy to read this whole thread, but I'd just like to point out that I saw far more revealing outfits in high school than I see in LoL... Girls wearing leggings with no underwear/very small thongs and a -very- low cut shirt was pretty much the norm. That or shorts that let their tush just hang out there.

King GrimPhenom

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louvier View Post
most women arent fighting for their lives in arenas irl either
Using IRL to describe fantasy

KínseySíx

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
I was actually on the "zomg Riot oversexualised" side with Elise when I first saw her art; it wasn't too unreasonable, we heard about this elegant, regal Spider Queen and got a pin-up in a spider costume. Then we got her model, and her ingame stuff, and her new art, and a new spin on what she did - namely that she was the high priestess of a cult. And let's be honest here, there's probably no vows of chastity being spread around.

Then she released - voiceover was amazing, but Dead or Alive boobs agh! Didn't rush out to create a thread for it, but I did facepalm and go "really Riot, really?" The thing that rustles my jimmies in champion design is when sexy is just tacked on because it can be. It's tacky! Elise is absolutely fine without bizarre breast physics. Why did they feel the need to include it?
First time I saw death-blossom Elise I thought it was a new skin for Zyra. For about 20 goshdarned minutes in fact. My issue isn't so much the constant boobs and butt obsession Riot has with the ladies - but the fact that they are all the freaking same.
It's like they just copy-paste the same damn playboy bunny over and over and slap on a leaf, spider leg, pirate hat, shadow spheres, bondage gear and in Janna's case - not much of anything.

Gixia

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Perhaps they didn't need to include it...but I honestly --well actually. When I first saw her splash I was like "Really riot?" after a giant thread like this and Iron Stylus saying he was actively trying to change the way things were done I kind of expected a Diana type release (fully covered, no heels on her boots).

But upon closer inspection and really thinking about Elise, I just think it really really fits her. Especially with her monologue about the shadow isles, I just thought, wow, perfect.
Honestly, Elise is the most blatant example of unnecessary/poorly done sexualization. Everything about her is 'intended to be sexy' ramped up to 11, even though it doesn't suit her character at all.

Gespens

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixia View Post
So, of the 13 champions you listed, one is a bird, one is a child, three are yordles, one is a robot. So that makes a total of 7 adult human females. Fiora may not have a sexualized model, but her splash art pose, standing so as to prominently display both her ass and chest is blatantly sexualized, so she gets knocked out. Katarina... Seriously? I classify Katarina as one of the champions who does sexualization properly, so I have no problem with her, but she's definitely in the sexualized camp. So that gives us 5, which, even if we remove all the non-adult humanoid females from the list, still makes it really more like 18%, not 40. That is a bad number.
I did this awhile ago. Every female champion in the game and what is 'sexy' about them in base skin.

Elise: absolute cleavage
Syndra: Absolute cleavage
Diana: Fine
Zyra: Absolute cleavage
Lulu: ADORABLE
Fiora: Nothing wrong here
Sej: Fur bikini
Ahri: ****
Shyv: Midriff, but fine for the most part.
Riven: Fine
Leona: Fine
Orianna: Fine
Vayne: Fine
Cait: *facepalm*
Cassio: By lore, much like Ahri, a ****.
Irelia: Shows more skin than Sona... but is fine somehow.
LB: belts
Lux: Fine
Kat: lol
Akali: Sideboob
Nidalee: Fur bikini
Poppy: Yordle
Sona: ... Just some cleavage. Grow up.
MF: How lewd
Ashe: Fetish fuel unlimited! Mini skirt, a touch of sideboob, ZR.... but is still reasonably dressed.
Morg: ****
Trist: Yordle
Kayle: FULLY ARMORED
Soraka: Celtic themed gal and doesn't show too much aside from leg... then you realize she is not wearing anything. May have changed in new art.
Sivir: Xena was hot
Eve: Succubus
Janna: Boobs, legs, ass, oh my.
Annie: Loli
Anivia: WARK WARK

14~17 champs out of... 38. Almost half of the females. Honestly, you are really over exaggerating.

King Reedwise

11-17-2012

Quote:
i'd also just like to add something:

yes, the media puts pressure on men as well. however, how does that pressure affect men in real life, really? you say most men would shrug it off, which is true. they can shrug it off because society has conditioned them, and told them from the start, that they have lots of good things going for them! they are strong, the providers; they have so many good male role models celebrated throughout history. they can be anything.

women, however, are not that lucky. there are a lot of campaigns trying to change that these days, but we're surrounded by images telling us that our worth lies in two things: our appearance, and our fertility. what if we can't have children? what if we're not that attractive? science is a man's field. math is a man's field. men can be fat, that's fine; they can still hold a job. if we're a little overweight, we're nothing. there are advertisements everywhere targeting women, telling us that if we're a little hairy, or a little overweight, we have no worth, and have to fix it immediately. that if we're attractive, we don't need anything else in life. it's ok to do nothing. all you need is a man.

historically we've been taught that it's the woman's job to be subservient, and more recently, to be sexy. we're to be sexy, but not embrace our sexuality, or else we're ****s (or just asking to get raped... but that is for another time). and if we deny any of that, try to push past it, we're 'butch', we're 'ugly', we'll 'never find a man', like these are all the worst things a woman can be.

again, this is starting to change, and i'm really happy about it! but like you said, there is a difference between the pressure the media puts on men and the pressure the media puts on women.

i'm not trying to paint women as this horrible oppressed class. just that there is a lot more to this than first meets the eye.
You do a disservice to men and women. It is not as easy as you describe to be a man. Expected toughness does not mean you are inherently tough.

I know girls that have broken up with guys because something weird happened at a bar with some creepy guy and he didn't defend them/try to fight them. No matter who I date, I'm expected to hold open doors and engage in typical courtship/chivalry ad nauseum.

Moreover, instead of just having small breasts or.. not looking like a supermodel(which is a cop out) I'm expected to just lift weights until I fit into that mold. I know plenty of girls that run every day and diet until they look like that. They're also hipsters.

Increasingly so, I'm expected to be metrosexual. I was in the infantry in the army for four years - a job that only allows men - and I was expected to do things that only testosterone would drive you to do. My eyebrows need to be well maintained, I won't include shaving; I've had girls that asked me to get my chest waxed.

Do you think men 60 years ago were expected to manscape? I'd guess not. Every actor in every serious movie takes his shirt off, doesn't he? Would it surprise you to know that, most likely, many of your favorites have pec implants? What's the difference there? It's superficial, false: like a deer getting fake antlers. But it's expected. I'm out of the army now and as I journey into corporate America more and more I'm reminded to be perfectly groomed, in shape and confident.

I've been sexually harassed at work before, by an older colleague. Should I go on Oprah and pretend I'm a victim and I'm traumatized for life? Or should I just hold on until I'm successful? I choose the latter.

--

The worst thing was I had to read and sit through all those arguments about allowing women in the infantry during those scandalous 2006-2007 years. Such close proximity to Abu Ghraib. The women there didn't serve with distinction. Meanwhile, women are saying stuff like, "I know women that are stronger than some men!"

A reporter asked me once while we were coming home: "do you think you're stronger than every single woman?"

My reply was: "Yup."

I got reprimanded and my company commander had to pull strings to get the footage removed from her camera. But you know what? I do feel that way, because I'm a man. I'm genetically programmed to compete for mates with other men. Women are programmed to be selective. It bothers me when I lose at something, and it drives me to become stronger/smarter/more capable. When women lose, it's playful. That isn't conducive to crushing your enemies which, believe it or not, is necessary.

Women and men are different. Both deserve equal American freedoms. Women do not deserve to rob other Americans of their right to prosperity. If Riot wasn't a successful company, we wouldn't be having this argument. Since they are, we are. You can't argue with results, which is exactly what Riot is getting.

Just stop tacking, "I want smaller breasted fantasy characters" with, "I feel women have equal rights as men to vote!"

You know right now there's a senator on the East coast trying to take away your right to certain medical procedures, right? Get upset about that; I support you. You don't get to take away the prosperity of others, though. Just like nobody gets to do it to you.