Hey LoL Feminists, Take a seat

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

March

11-17-2012

I honestly wish that there wasn't a double standard. In terms of male sexiness, we only really get Varus and that's it.

Warm One

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatebikeshorts View Post
It doesn't help that Iron Stylus, and by extension the art team, sounds really two-faced when they go on LONG diatribes about how they want to change things and yet do NOTHING visible to that end and, if anything, EMBRACING the misogynist standard that gets them money as opposed to the right thing to do: Not treat women like objects that must be appealing to men above all else. It makes people who want progressive designs feel very alienated when they're promised varied designs and gets nothing in return. And Diana? Fantastic, you've added one more person to the very VERY small list of female champions whose breasts aren't accentuated, bravo. You still have 76% of female, humanoid champions who are sexualized, often unnecessarily.

In all seriousness, I wish the art team would just be straight with us: Are you working on variation or not? Because as it stands, Elise, Zyra, and Syndra are indicative of them working TOWARDS the industry standard of objectifying women for no reason other than it sells.
Yeah. If this thread didn't help me want to make a civil discussion thread on this issue, Riot's own recent post to the subject really hammered it in. I'm not saying Riot as a whole is like that, but it hurt to see several of them say it in a demeanor that definitely felt intense (even though I actually agreed to what they said about it). Much like political elections or abortion debates or whatever else, it is extremely easy to push buttons on either side.

MercuryOfIsis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Also there are an ok amount of not "oversexualized females" : Anivia, Annie, Karma, Kat, Leona, Lulu, Oriana, Poppy, Trist, Diana, and Vayne. I also count Riven and Fiora as not oversexualized personally, because she has a sexy skin yes, but they doesn't have obnoxiously large boobs and they are covered by allot of armor. Out of 34 females that is about 40%. I think that is a reasonable percentage, especially considering riot needs people to buy skins in order to make profit.

evelastina

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

jegus i gotta pee but i feel like if i leave the thread for 2 minutes i'll be behind another 5 pages

evelastina

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by suns song View Post
to be honest i'm tired of **** being seen as a sexual organ

their biological use is to provide food to offspring. i suppose that's why dudes find them sexy, because it symbolizes fertility? all psychology aside, i just wish boobies could be seen as milk-making machines man. milk-making machines.
well unfortunately until men stop getting *****s over boobs
they're going to be sexual organs
believe me i'd love to walk around without a shirt on like men can
but unfortunately that's "indecent exposure" in most places
because its more taboo than a man's pecs

10acity

11-17-2012

One can't compare a male champion exposing his chest to a female champion exposing hers.

In our society, females are historically and undeniably subject to oppression. It does not matter if a male champion in LoL is without a shirt. Most of who play this game, I can say confidently, are probably heterosexual males. Is a shirtless Varus sexually appealing to a heterosexual male? Probably not.

Female champions with exposed breast cleavage are, without a doubt, depictive of the hypersexualized female. Hypersexualizing females dehumanizes them and therefore makes them inferior to males. Women are not objects for men to look at and get turned on over. I can understand why there would be complaints about the designs of female champions. I can also understand why Riot and other game companies implement such characters in their games. I am sure it is and has been a very successful business strategy.

Gespens

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louvier View Post
practical clothing =/= heavy armor
Oi...

Practical clothing, does not fit people's personalities. I used Syndra in another thread as an example: She has a power trip. In the eyes of a fighter, when you see a person with no armor or weapon you think 'easy target.'

For Syndra, this is basically saying 'Yeah, I have an opening. Try and hit it if you can.' She is taunting people with an unprotected spot, which she will not even try to defend, because you are nothing to her in her mind.

Tryndamere is a barbarian rager. He doesn't need armor, because all he needs is his will power. Sure, he can wear armor, but it won't do anything but slow him down.

Vlad, Sona, Karma, Ryze are all mages. them wearing proper defensive clothes do not fit their style. this is a thing that has been going on since the old days of D&D-- armor weakens magic.

rickyg123

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
i think ur gonna need a lot of straw to make one of those

Gespens

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louvier View Post
well unfortunately until men stop getting *****s over boobs
they're going to be sexual organs
believe me i'd love to walk around without a shirt on like men can
but unfortunately that's "indecent exposure" in most places
because its more taboo than a man's pecs
Nudist colonies are a thing you know.

Quote:
*dies laughing, leaves account to orphanage*
She is pretty damn covered. torso down, she is completely covered.

KínseySíx

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gespens View Post

My original post said that Sona is extremely well covered

If her milk puppies were hanging any further out of that dress they´d have skill-sets of their own. I've always thought Sona was a good example of a champion design that is almost fantastic - but marred by someone saying, "Hey, flop her baps out a bit, that'll add some real depth to the character".