Hey LoL Feminists, Take a seat

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alessandra

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by suns song View Post
i'm just going to say one last thing, i think

aside from a few whiteknights and a few radical feminists, i don't think it's LoL's portrayal of female characters that is anyone's chief concern. it's the underlying problem behind it that is a concern. i acknowledge that a lot of people have trouble getting that point across, but there are just as many people stamping their feet and refusing to see farther than 'feminist! feminist! alert! must discount at all costs!'

there is a reason that most portrayals of female characters, not just in LoL, but in most media, are of the scantily clad vixen we see. it could be simplified to '*** sells', sure, but it's deeper than that, and it affects a lot of women on a daily basis.

almost every female character we see in the media is big bosomed, thin, and often vapid. if she isn't vapid, then she has to be attractive. if you are not attractive, then you have no worth. attractiveness is everything. in many cases, women and female characters are brought down to simply being objects. and that's not cool.

there's a reason anorexia is rampant in young girls. there's a reason so many women have no self esteem. there's a reason so many men - and even women, as shown by responses to LoL threads - hold extremely misogynistic views and think it's ok to hold them.

it's not the way LoL champions look. it's the reason why they look that way that is the problem.

i apologize for not being very good with words, i never claimed i was articulate


a million times this


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Well Hungarian

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloriforus View Post
Women in media look that way because thats what sells, thats what makes money. Its more visually pleasing to look at someone who is attractive and in shape than it is to look at someone who isnt. Going deeper into that, se.x sells. Noone expects you or any woman to look like angelina jolie, I dont expect my wife to keep her coochie shaved or get implants because her breasts arent big enough. I love my wife the way she is.

If you think women feel pressure from the media to look a certain way, then would the same not apply for men?

The same way I look at a Victoria Secret ad with a girl who has amazing breasts and a perfect body, Im sure my wife looks at a shirtless guy with a rock hard 6 pack perfect body on a mens underwear ad.
Good post.

At the end of the day, the average man knows the chances of him finding a partner that looks like Angelina Jolie...or Miss Fortune are slim. Like, just a shade above zero.

As such, the average man also knows he has just about the same chance at having the body of a male model. Women too, realize these things when they are presented with oversexualized examples.

The difference is how males and females cope with this realization. The average male will just shrug his shoulders and eat another donut. The average female will feel bad about herself. This is where the disconnect is between males and females on this subject. It is hard for men to understand a woman's point of view, as it is for a woman to understand a man's point of view.

The same people that oversexualize also provide plenty of stereotypes of feminists, adding further confusion to the mix. Each side of this subject needs to be a little more forgiving and open minded.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gespens

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
If we're saying sexualized as in whooaa shirtless look at da muscles, yes, I definitely agree.

Though, as it does with female champs, sometimes it works thematically. I think it works with tryndamere's character. That rough, beefy, brute, with a massive sword. Not having a shirt and exposing his roaring pectorals and crushing lats really gets across that whole manly, tough, strong dude who don't take no **** right? It does to me anyway.

I don't know about Varus, haven't played him, don't know his lore. So I can't speak for that. Same with pantheon.
Quote:
Varus has no reason to be naked, but he is. Oversexualized, and usually cited as the male example of such.
Varus basically gave up his humanity and became corrupted. He has become a monster effectively that exists only to kill Noxians. Why would a 'monster' need to be clothed?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Valkymie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebosBike View Post
So its only attractive women with breasts that you have a problem with when they are attractive and have breasts then?

Can you name even one champion aside from panthion that has an effectively used set of armor?
Brand is shirtless.. Ezreal is wearing a flight suit from the 1940's..
Olaf is wearing a leotard with shoulder pads in an arctic environment!!!!!


If we are going for realism, then in the time setting that cait's skin is based on women were not even allowed to be a sheriff! That might have even been far enough back into time that women were treated like property and were legally owned by their father or husband...


Again, none of the armor seen on the champions in this game is conductive to survival on the battlefield.
Morde is probably the closest be he IS a suit of armor rather then someone wearing armor. Everything in regards to the designs of the champions is intended to make them look more appealing man or woman.
How is pentakill olaf related to a rock star or a barbarian? He's wearing jeans and a cowboy hat! He looks more like a country singer then either of the first two things.
i dont have a problem with attractive women or feminine women
idk how many times i have to say it

i have a problem when riot makes champions sexy for no reason
or when they overuse the sexy trope

lets say there were 30 sexy female champs
i wouldnt mind if there were 30 non-sexy female champs alongside them
but because theres not, its overdone and boring and i want more variety in body types

brand's skin is like hardened molten rock
thats practically armor on its own
ezreal is still fully clothed and not running around in say, short shorts and a thin undershirt
and sejuani is in the same boat as olaf (though some argue that cold weather is to them as sunny weather is to us)
im not saying put cait in battle plate
just give her like a flak jacket and some jeans or something

but yeah its sooo okay for cait to be a sheriff in a "time period" where she wouldnt normally have been allowed to
but putting her in pants just goes too far in a fantasy game

im pretty sure champs like darius garen and taric would like to disagree with you about practical armor


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ExpandingEye

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gespens View Post
Lets use a few examples:

Why would Karma wear heavy armor?
Why would Varus wear heavy armor?
Why would Sona wear heavy armor?
Why would Swain wear heavy armor?
Why would Syndra wear heavy armor?
Why would Teemo wear heavy armor?
Why would Nidalee wear heavy armor?
Why would Udyr wear heavy armor?

so on and so forth.
:smH: you don't get it


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Guancyto

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gespens View Post
Varus basically gave up his humanity and became corrupted. He has become a monster effectively that exists only to kill Noxians. Why would a 'monster' need to be clothed?
Cho'Gath is a proper gentleman about it, for what it's worth. :P

It's an interesting point, but "naked" was still a curious choice.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gespens

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louvier View Post
i dont have a problem with attractive women or feminine women
idk how many times i have to say it

i have a problem when riot makes champions sexy for no reason
or when they overuse the sexy trope

lets say there were 30 sexy female champs
i wouldnt mind if there were 30 non-sexy female champs alongside them
but because theres not, its overdone and boring and i want more variety in body types

brand's skin is like hardened molten rock
thats practically armor on its own
ezreal is still fully clothed and not running around in say, short shorts and a thin undershirt
and sejuani is in the same boat as olaf (though some argue that cold weather is to them as sunny weather is to us)
im not saying put cait in battle plate
just give her like a flak jacket and some jeans or something

but yeah its sooo okay for cait to be a sheriff in a "time period" where she wouldnt normally have been allowed to
but putting her in pants just goes too far in a fantasy game

im pretty sure champs like darius garen and taric would like to disagree with you about practical armor
Dude, I always argue against feminists and I will still acknowledge that Cait is the only true anomaly in terms of design. Closest explanation is that she is a Steampunk gal... but her skirt should be a bit longer.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

King GrimPhenom

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
If we're saying sexualized as in whooaa shirtless look at da muscles, yes, I definitely agree.

Though, as it does with female champs, sometimes it works thematically. I think it works with tryndamere's character. That rough, beefy, brute, with a massive sword. Not having a shirt and exposing his roaring pectorals and crushing lats really gets across that whole manly, tough, strong dude who don't take no **** right? It does to me anyway.

I don't know about Varus, haven't played him, don't know his lore. So I can't speak for that. Same with pantheon.
Tryndamere is a king shouldn't he wear king garbs?

But Pantheon literally has his ***** just in your face (especially when he W on top of you) Why?

And Varus is Naked lol, no excuse. He's naked.

Not sure how anyone wouldn't find this sexual, what is it considered the norm for a man to just be beefy, stacked, and handsome? Cause I am the exact opposite of that outside of handsome

Point is there is also some Freudian design in the men too


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rachel

Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
Pantheon's the guy from 300, basically. Ultimate warrior, trained all his life in a culture of steel and arms and fire. Reguar sexualized, makes sense to be big, beefy and not wear a lot of clothes. (Note that I say the guy from 300, not a Spartan. Spartans wore armor, dammit!)

Varus has no reason to be naked, but he is. Oversexualized, and usually cited as the male example of such.
Well if pantheon is supposed to be reminiscent of a spartan, of a greek warrior, his appearance makes some sense. Greek warriors were often depicted nude anyway right (not that they went into battle that way lawl)

Varus...yeah. Might be unnecessarily shirtless. (I mean he is a babe tho...oh gawd what am I saying).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DrBleck

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimPhenom View Post
What's the problem, why do you keep bringing up female champ design? A woman who doesn't even EXIST having breasts and a decent figure is BAD to you?
This is the problem. You've chosen to describe a figure that isn't physically possible as decent; do you understand how this might reflect a sexist attitude?