Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Hey LoL Feminists, Take a seat

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Valkymie

11-17-2012

Quote:
Salintecra:
I don't know how to start this. I want to say you're wrong, but that feels offensive and like I'm trying to tell you to not believe something you feel. But I do disagree with you, not because of WHAT you're arguing (objectification of women), but WHERE you're arguing it. You're on a forum, for a video game, which historically is a male dominated industry. You're trying to tell guys, that looking at (what they see as) beautiful women, is wrong.

I posted earlier, but you might have missed it, talking about the other side. What you're doing now, is like a couple of guys going on a forum for Glee, or Twilight, or some other female dominate entertainment, and arguing that the guys in the show are unrealistically good looking, and it's not right to build up females expectations of the male populace. You see how silly that would be?

Tl;dr - You're entitled to your opinion on women objectification, but you need a better example than a video game targeted to a large male population.

first i'd like to thank you for being civil
second, im not trying to say that being beautiful is wrong or that men cant have sexy women in their games
im saying its wrong to portray 80% of them that way

and posting this here is similar to people posting stuff about how a champ is too op or up
an email expresses the opinions of an individual
a forum thread expresses the opinions of many, whether they agree or disagree.

also as a woman i'd like to point out that i think both glee and twilight are really terrible and i dont like them just as much as the men do

i also dont like how most of the male human champs are well built, but that isnt a matter of sexism against males

and whether or not someone feels the oversexualization is sexist or not
everyone should be able to agree that it's boring to see over and over again.

and why does this game need to still be targeted towards males
female gamers are on the rise, are they not?
wouldn't everyone agree that if a demographic is growing, it makes good business sense to appeal to that demographic as well so they're encouraged to play and spend money on the game?

King GrimPhenom

11-17-2012

Quote:
Fiendshadow:
I'm a male, and i for one think Taric's skins are Fabulous.

Outrageous

King GrimPhenom

11-17-2012

Quote:
Xyler94:
i'm gonna make a list here on my personal opinion on this matter

Ahri: needs her looks so she may take what she wants,
Akali: Lightweight clothing is always a good idea for fast movement
Caitlyn: honestly, she could use a little more clothing, but that's why Arctic Warfare Caitlyn is there :P
Cassiopeia: She was the most beautiful girl in her family (maybe even in all of Noxus), why would she try and cover up the remaining of her humanity?
Elise: She's based off the black widow spider,
Evelynn: she's a nightstalker...
Fiora: any woman as flexible as she is can assume that pose
Irelia: actually I don't have a comment on her,
Janna: Read the last part of her Lore,
Katarina: i guess good looking runs in the family,
LeBlanc: she's a deciever...
Lux: She's ok, what's so bad about her?
Miss Fortune: Pirate bounty hunter, come on, do you really think pirates (GP is an exception, according to lore) can say no to her?
Morgana: Falen Angel,
Nidalee: She's from the wilds,
Sejuani: She's from the cold of the mountains, she's used to such harsh weather (see also why Tryndamere doesn't wear much in such enviroments)
Zyra: She's a plant that took over a human host, said host was probably really good looking, and being a plant, she probably has no idea how to "properly dress"

Now this list is on champions I thought were good for this subject.

Nicely done

Space Lizard

11-17-2012

Quote:
GrimPhenom:
I'm tired of shooting down this argument, I seriously am

Describe a DIFFERENT female body, draw that body type, and then look at it taped to a wall across a room maybe 3 or 4 feet away

Notice something? Good, neither did I...

Even if Riot did this by altering body size numbers somewhere its most likely gonna be covered by clothing

So if this does happen are you 100% positive you're even gonna notice it?

There's a list in the post you quoted.

Lulu
Leona
Diana
Poppy
Kayle
Lux
Annie
Ashe
Fiora
Irelia
Riven
Etc.,

Are all great. Some people might have problems with their posing, which is an art critique and stylistic thing more than anything else, but notice that there's not a focus on *** appeal for any of them.

Morgana
Zyra
Elise
Miss Fortune
Sivir
Syndra
Akali
Sejuani
Cassiopeia

Vary. Morg/Zyra/Elise/MF/Cassio I really like, whereas I think the sexuality is a bit off on Sejuani, Syndra, and Akali, mostly Sejuani since it isn't noticable in game on Syndra and Akali, and I'm uncertain about Sivir since it's always been on her archetype (a recent one) it's always been silly on her archetype as well.

See, you haven't really shot the argument down. You've said "there is no such thing as variety in female body types" and to be honest, that isn't entirely true. Nor is it fair to say that there can be no variety in female sexualizations or archetypes, and aside from that it's a blatantly false statement.

I like some variety in hip and breat size, to be honest. I'm a fan of D's and DD's, but they stop being significant if they're the standard. Nami's a good start.

Edit: To clarify, notice how similarly sized the lists. The non-sexualized list would be slightly larger if I finished both lists, but I think the issue is that the sexualized archetypes are being used the largest share of the time when compared to other archetypes, or that sexualized elements come into non-sexualized archetypes (Akali) that have no place being there and look off (Sejuani.)

K G Morder

11-17-2012

Because TL;DR, pic attached.

Well Hungarian

11-17-2012

Quote:
Louvier:
oh hey here's a thing
how bout i post here to bring attention to uneducated boys like you
because apparently your parents didnt do a good enough job teaching you about gender equality.

i can enjoy this game and still point out the oversexualization while asking for more variety in female champs

if YOU dont like that i'm complaining, how about you leave then? why are you wasting forum space with all those "replies" to posts you admitted to not even reading?

Riot -has- told us they were going to make more variety for female champs
if they really wanted to, they'd stop dishing out new champs every two weeks and fix it
if they were so concerned over the money they'd lose in the meantime, make some skins or idk
fix the champs that still suck instead of ignoring them because they want to get all their sexy champs out in time.

You know, I was just starting to somewhat understand your argument until this post. You cry for gender equality...yet you talk down to "uneducated boys". While this comment was not directed towards me, it is still quite offensive.

Just a little bit of advice here...in order to get the recognition you seek, you have to give recognition in return. If you come off as some snotty brat no one is going to take you serious.

DaMiTzNhan

11-17-2012

It's not even feminism.

Valkymie

11-17-2012

Quote:
Well Hungarian:
What you are failing to realize is this isn't the place to raise awareness of oversexualization.

It would be similar to going out at a top fuel dragster event and trying to raise awareness about the effects on the ozone layer from pollution.

A HUGE chunk of the LoL community enjoy the game the way it is. They enjoy the character art. If it is truly a serious problem for you, perhaps you need to find something else to enjoy. Riot isn't going to change something that is working for them...that is keeping most of the community happy for a small group that have your view.

I am not saying that your point of view is incorrect or that you do not have the right to voice your opinion. I am simply saying that you are wasting your time here. Please try to understand.

i also dont need people to tell me where my place is and dictate where i'm allowed to complain? (no offense) unless you're from riot of course

but if i see a problem in a video game, i'm going to complain about it at that video game
just like people report bugs and imbalances in the forums
since theres no "social justice herderp forum"
i'll be posting it here

its only a huge chunk because so many people are scared off by it
and how many good and popular moba's out there don't oversexualize the women?
how many games in general are directed exclusively towards men (whether or not women play it too) but women are stuck with games like cooking mama?

like ive said, riot doesnt have to stop making sexy champions for the male gamers
i just want them not to overaccentuate breasts (because lolthatstheonlywaywecantellyourachick) on every other champ
and not to sexualize characters that dont need it unless its in an alternate skin because its fine to make sexy skins for non sexy champs
and not to make 5 sexy girls in a row.

they arent going to sacrifice pleasing the male population because no one is asking them to stop making boobs or sexy characters
i just want more variety -in addition to- the sexy champs
so that its not sexy dryad sexy darkmage sexy mermaid what sexy character do we have next? you know?

(and before anyone says it, it doesnt matter how different their histories are if they all have the same basic "i'm a sexy girl i use my sexiness to lure in my victims" template. and slight changes in hip/bust size is not what i call variety in body types)

Sephtis

11-17-2012

I'm pretty sure to be a true feminist you have to be a woman.

The ones complaining are guys trying look moral and just. And just come off as whiney puritans.

Atalie Louise

11-17-2012

I'm a female and I find the female champs quite appealing in my eyes. I love Miss Fortune and her massive boobs that bounce when she runs.

Come on, who the hell hates big boobs?